C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Adjust Front Targa Latches?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default How to Adjust Front Targa Latches?

After the dealer did all the steps in the GM bulletin (and O-rings) and not fixing my popping/creaking transparent top, I noticed that unlatching the left (front) latch stopped the noise. So they readjusted the left latch slightly looser, and that helped. But the problem is still there somewhat. These are the new style latches.

I'd like to do it myself, but a quick glance in the Service Manual didn't tell me much.
I think the adjustment is done on the receiver that's part of the windshield frame, not on the latch itself which is part of the top.

Can someone give a link or instructions on how to adjust the front latches?

Thanks.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-10-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:23 AM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You have to pull the trim piece that runs across the front right under the latch plates (that's what I call them) that's where you can loosen them and move it up or down a little. Just be careful not to adjust too much.

Good luck
Lisa
Old 10-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks, that's what I thought.
How do I remove the trim piece?
And once it's removed, is the adjustment technique easy to see?
Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I think you may get better results adjusting the rear j-hook latch. Its simple. There is a set screw holding it in place. Loosen that and turn the hook one turn looser. I got rid of a lot of snapping and cracking doing this. If it doesnt help try one turn tighter.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:48 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think the trim should just pull off. Not certain but the A pillars do.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:26 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

I didn't take my trim part off because I was not sure how to do ti. I gently pulled it down and peaked in from the top to see where the adjustment was. It was closest to the rearview mirror. I used a flashlight and was able to loose it and adjust it. It was way easier then I expected.

Good luck

Lisa
Old 10-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by EVRose
I think you may get better results adjusting the rear j-hook latch. Its simple. There is a set screw holding it in place. Loosen that and turn the hook one turn looser. I got rid of a lot of snapping and cracking doing this. If it doesnt help try one turn tighter.
Unfortunately, I tried tighter and looser and it made no difference.

Originally Posted by C6Whatever
I didn't take my trim part off because I was not sure how to do ti. I gently pulled it down and peaked in from the top to see where the adjustment was. It was closest to the rearview mirror. I used a flashlight and was able to loose it and adjust it. It was way easier then I expected.

Good luck
I'll try your method!
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Lisa had the right idea. My trim piece seemed pretty firmly in place and I couldn't figure out how to pull it off without perhaps breaking something.

So, with the top removed, I just pushed it firmly downward and discovered that there are two cap screws that hold each receiver into the w/s frame. They take a T30 Torx, my screws were so tight that a normal Torx driver wouldn't budge them. I had to use a T30 "socket" on a 1/4" drive ratchet to get 'em loose, moved the left receiver upward a bit to loosen the tightness of the left latch, and retightened.

Now, I need a warm and bright sunny day to test the results, in cold/cloudy weather the top makes no noise. Not many of those days left around here...

Thanks, Lisa.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:55 AM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Lisa had the right idea. My trim piece seemed pretty firmly in place and I couldn't figure out how to pull it off without perhaps breaking something.

So, with the top removed, I just pushed it firmly downward and discovered that there are two cap screws that hold each receiver into the w/s frame. They take a T30 Torx, my screws were so tight that a normal Torx driver wouldn't budge them. I had to use a T30 "socket" on a 1/4" drive ratchet to get 'em loose, moved the left receiver upward a bit to loosen the tightness of the left latch, and retightened.

Now, I need a warm and bright sunny day to test the results, in cold/cloudy weather the top makes no noise. Not many of those days left around here...

Thanks, Lisa.
You are welcome. It took me awhile to pull down my trim piece also and I agree on being afraid I was going to break it. Glad you were able to get to it. Keep me posted if it helped.

Lisa

Get notified of new replies

To How to Adjust Front Targa Latches?

Quick Reply: How to Adjust Front Targa Latches?