C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has ZR1 style front splitter experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Who has ZR1 style front splitter experiences?

I'm considering one of the ZR1 style front splitters like this one from Corvette mods.

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...rt_p_6207.html

Does anyone have any experience with them?
Do you use the stock air dam?

Favorites?

I do love my painted ZR1 style rear spoiler.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

When I bought my 2011 GS it had (key word "had") the ZR1 style splitter. I liked the looks but...within my first couple hours of ownership I was unable to dodge a HUGE chunk of wood (probably a 4x4) and the splitter was toast. I looked at the remains of the splitter when I removed it and noticed it had been glassed several times. And yes, it had the stock under car dam.
For replacement I bought the stock GS splitter...but, damn, I liked the looks of the ZR1 style. Good luck with road debris, driveways, and curbs...
I, too, have the ZR1 style spoiler and like it a lot.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 PM
NorthTXC6
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
I'm considering one of the ZR1 style front splitters like this one from Corvette mods.

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...rt_p_6207.html

Does anyone have any experience with them?
Do you use the stock air dam?

Favorites?

I do love my painted ZR1 style rear spoiler.
I have a 2010 GS and love the ZR1 in carbon - but, I am on my third one (at 47k miles) - very easy to not pay attention and crunch on those pesky curbs and cement parking pylons...love the look though, and also I had the additional brace put in to prevent flexing at higher speeds...

Old 10-11-2014, 11:18 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NorthTXC6
Beautiful car!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by NorthTXC6
I have a 2010 GS and love the ZR1 in carbon - but, I am on my third one (at 47k miles) - very easy to not pay attention and crunch on those pesky curbs and cement parking pylons...love the look though, and also I had the additional brace put in to prevent flexing at higher speeds...

Is your spoiler carbon or body color?
Old 10-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Are you installing it for show, or for go (functionality).

The concept behind a front spilter is to move move air from getting under the car and drive it around the sides of the car to create more front downforce instead. So side skirts help keep the air from getting back under the car from the sides to cause lift, then depending on the amount of front down force created, the back down force needs to be adjusted to balance the cars aerodynamics back out.

Simply, you can bling/pimp the car out if you want to, but better if you are dropping coin on the car to base such expenditures towards more than just a show piece item to guild at the next barbeque/parking lot function (why most of use just laugh at ricer cars).

http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf
Old 10-12-2014, 04:52 AM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

I had one for about 2 years on my 07 C6. Had trouble lining it up but made it work. Turned to fast into a gas station and hit the rain gutter and tore off the left half. Bought a Z06 style made for the C6. Went on very easy using existing holes. I like it, but get one prepainted or carbon fiber. Performance Corvettes is one place. Lots cheaper and lasts a lot longer. Air dam is no problem.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:56 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hoganj
I had one for about 2 years on my 07 C6. Had trouble lining it up but made it work. Turned to fast into a gas station and hit the rain gutter and tore off the left half. Bought a Z06 style made for the C6. Went on very easy using existing holes. I like it, but get one prepainted or carbon fiber. Performance Corvettes is one place. Lots cheaper and lasts a lot longer. Air dam is no problem.
yeah..I just ordered the zo6 style to go with the rpi side skirts. does the zo6 spoiler sit higher than the splitter? any pics?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:34 PM
NorthTXC6
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
Is your spoiler carbon or body color?
Carbon....
Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought a fiberglass front splitter and side skirts then had them painted gloss black to match my black roof and wing. I got a fiberglass one because I have a buddy that does fiberglass work and can fix it for me whenever it gets damaged. I was also told carbon fiber is more brittle than fiberglass and it breaks a lot easier. Plus I don't have anyone near near me that can repair carbon fiber. So far Ive noticed it doesn't scrape anymore than my stock z06 splitter did. Ive already scraped it a few times pretty good and it still looks great, pretty dang tough.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

i got 1 and had it painted to match my car.all you have to do is be careful on where you park and do not hit any road kill.you can leave off the 2 side rubber air dams.. left the center one on.

Last edited by lordofwar; 10-13-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has ZR1 style front splitter experiences?

Quick Reply: Who has ZR1 style front splitter experiences?