C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear View Mirror Courtesy Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:26 PM
RHFD122
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear View Mirror Courtesy Lights not working

2006 Vette

My rear view mirror courtesy lights (both right & left lights) are not working. The courtesy lights at the feet work fine so it is not a fuse. Also the compass inside of the rear view mirror works, so it has power.

Any idea why my rear view mirror courtesy lights are not working?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by RHFD122; 10-18-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Original bulbs or did someone replace them with LEDs? You are correct that when the IP compartment lights (footwell) work you have pretty much isolated the problem to the mirror switches and bulbs. The problem is people think a light bulb is a light bulb and they start replacing them with LEDs and such never understanding that the mirror lights are really being powered by AC from the BCM. AC is how they dim rather than just being off or on. Yes, you can get LED bulb replacements that will work but it has to be a close duplicate of what is there now and not just a "different bulb".
Old 10-20-2014, 03:10 PM
RHFD122
Instructor

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Original bulbs or did someone replace them with LEDs? You are correct that when the IP compartment lights (footwell) work you have pretty much isolated the problem to the mirror switches and bulbs. The problem is people think a light bulb is a light bulb and they start replacing them with LEDs and such never understanding that the mirror lights are really being powered by AC from the BCM. AC is how they dim rather than just being off or on. Yes, you can get LED bulb replacements that will work but it has to be a close duplicate of what is there now and not just a "different bulb".
=============================

You are correct, I installed LED light bulbs in my rear view mirror. I will need to buy 2 new OEM bulbs to eliminate that possibility.

Thanks for that suggestion. I try to replace the bulbs back to OEM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:46 PM
former50
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RHFD122
=============================

You are correct, I installed LED light bulbs in my rear view mirror. I will need to buy 2 new OEM bulbs to eliminate that possibility.

Thanks for that suggestion. I try to replace the bulbs back to OEM.
I too have a base 06 that I replaced the footwell and map lights with LED's from Corvette Mods. No issues at all. They work like stock bulbs, dimming and all. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Guinzu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull your footwell light and try that. That should eliminate if it's a bulb issue or not.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:17 PM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 225 Likes on 119 Posts

I have the same problem as the OP. I replaced my mirror map light bulbs with LED bulbs for a brighter light. They worked fine for awhile then stopped working. I put the original bulbs back and they still don't work. Have foot well lights and that's it.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:07 PM
RHFD122
Instructor

Originally Posted by geewez
I have the same problem as the OP. I replaced my mirror map light bulbs with LED bulbs for a brighter light. They worked fine for awhile then stopped working. I put the original bulbs back and they still don't work. Have foot well lights and that's it.

I took out the LED bulbs and reinstalled the OEM bulbs. Now the OEM bulbs work fine. All issues resolved. The LED bulbs were not functioning. I called the Forum vendor that I purchased the LED’s from and they are replacing them at no cost as they have a lifetime guaranty. The LED’s are about 1 1/2 years old. The vendor was very good, no problem requesting replacement.

Thanks for your input and suggestions. That is what makes this forum so great.

Last edited by RHFD122; 10-21-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:27 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,909 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

First I have heard of this. I changed all interior lights to LEDs. No problems yet. Good to hear vendor standing behind them.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:50 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by former50
I too have a base 06 that I replaced the footwell and map lights with LED's from Corvette Mods. No issues at all. They work like stock bulbs, dimming and all. Just my 2 cents.
I have an 05, i installed led's no problems here either.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Jaysvette07
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a base 07 and attempted to replace with LED lights from corvette mod, then the light on/off button fell out along with some other pieces and now the light wont even turn on. i did notice that when i plugged the light in, i put my finger on the back of it and the light did turn on but it was very low and only turned on when i had my finger placed on the back. any electrical help would really...help. i really dont want to buy another rear view mirror...

Get notified of new replies

To Rear View Mirror Courtesy Lights not working

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror Courtesy Lights not working