C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with all the Challenger threats? please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:35 PM
2011GSCOUPE
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with all the Challenger threats? please chime in

New to the C6 arena but my 2011 Grand Sport is the 2nd Corvette I have owned(2003 Torch Red Coupe prior). I reside in the Tampa Florida area and it seems like every Challenger owner and their brother wants to race or be aggressive. I know the SRT8 is a powerful car but they have about 800 lbs. of excess weight on us. Perhaps its the thrill of messing with the almighty Corvette but it's everywhere I go. I enjoy and respect many makes and models and I'm certainly not nieve in knowing that a medium to heavy modded SRT8 could out run a stock LS3 Vette but its almost as if Challenger owners dont realize how big and heavy their cars are. Stock vs. Stock, it isn't even a one car length race, its more like 2-3. I know you have 470 horses guys and the torque to match but I'm getting tired of waisting my fuel on you It isn't even just the SRT8 owners the majority of the time; I get the RT guys with their 5.7 Hemi's who wanna show off to their girlfriends. Quit acting like you HAD to HAVE a back seat for the kids. If you could afford an LS3 Corvette, you would have bought one end of rant.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

news at 11: guys that buy sports cars often have egos and want to have fun with their cars.

really? you think someone that bought a challenger couldn't afford an ls3 vette? they 'settled' for their cars? ha.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:47 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Don't need/miss it

I've had my '12 GS Conv 6MT for a year this month; had more hassles with people wanting to "take me on" in two months than I did in all the years I had three other Vettes........just an ole school teacher cruising around
Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It is not just Challenger owners; it is almost everyone in Tampa. I damn near end up in some form of "challenge" every time I am out on the road, no pun intended. Whether it is a ricer, a Mustang, something german it is like I have a sign on my car saying "Please F-c- with me...I have nothing better to do." Most of the time I oblige to be honest but in the AM on the way to work when I only have one eye open I simply have no interest in running them. I am just too damn tired and not alert enough yet.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:02 PM
2011GSCOUPE
Cruising

I know its all in good fun. Perhaps the age of the driver plays a part. I owned a 13 Mustang GT with Coyote motor and although they are fast, I never messed with C6's because I knew I couldn't out run one. C5's were fun to play with I guess in my late 30's, I just know my cars limitations. I wouldn't chase down a 911 Turbo unless I had a Z06 or Blown LS3. A stock RT Challenger f-ing with an LS3 would be like me chasing down a ZR1 in my GS. Just know what you got fellas. No matter what you've done to your car, there's always a faster one somewhere else right? What happened to the "mutual respect nod" at the red light to the guy next to you? I'm always white knuckled now on the steering wheel anytime I run next to a Challenger. Its only the grey haired old timer who knows what a 1970 Chevelle is that says "nice car" when I pull up to the light. Its these young punks we gotta learn. Guess I'll be spending more time at the gas pump
Old 10-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

if you know it's all in good fun then why do you relate it to being a disrespectful thing?

judging a car based on what it is stock is silly too. you never know what kind of work has gone into a car. you also never know if they are a superior driver. having better stats on paper and magazine tests means very little.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Since you brought up the new Challengers, I do have a question. I graduated from HS in 1971, so I remember well the whole muscle car era. More to my point...Dodge did a great job in capturing the look of the late 60's, early 70's Challenger with their new ones. The same with Ford and their Mustangs. But with Chevy, I well remember the Camaro's at the time, and the new Camaro's, at least in my opinion, don't look anything like those back in the late 60's, early 70's. Maybe they aren't supposed to.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:32 PM
2011GSCOUPE
Cruising

Entaille, the post was done in good fun. Im not really mad at any one Challenger owner or feel disrespected. There are certainly some sleepers out there but at 38 years of age with over 25 cars under my belt, I can listen to a car idle and hear if there is a cat back exhaust or mild cam thats been done. I realize not all Challengers in my area are bone stock. Its not about respect but more a lack of appreciation I'm referring to. I can walk around an SRT8 that's been tuned and has an aftermarket exhaust and think "wow, what a beautiful car". I actually really like the lines of the car but it isn't a Corvette and never will be. If you need a large trunk or a back seat, then you aren't a corvette buyer. Doesn't mean you neccesarily down graded or settled, it just isn't a Corvette. There's only one. Its an Icon and a lifestyle. Its part of our culture; so are muscle cars in general but a Challenger isn't considered an Icon by the masses. Its a 2 door 300M Chrysler with a big motor that is very top heavy. Cool car but its a small niche in the market. A Challanger regardless of trim level is not an alternative to a Corvette, its an inferior car in almost every way.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:21 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I was challenged by Challengers when I drove a Camaro, but not since I bought a Corvette.
That "HellCat" looks bad azz!!! Some folks need a backseat, so don't bash them.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:23 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just wait till we line up to a Hellcat. That car is pretty impressive for as big as it is.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Bill Daughterive
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2011GSCOUPE
New to the C6 arena but my 2011 Grand Sport is the 2nd Corvette I have owned(2003 Torch Red Coupe prior). I reside in the Tampa Florida area and it seems like every Challenger owner and their brother wants to race or be aggressive. I know the SRT8 is a powerful car but they have about 800 lbs. of excess weight on us. Perhaps its the thrill of messing with the almighty Corvette but it's everywhere I go. I enjoy and respect many makes and models and I'm certainly not nieve in knowing that a medium to heavy modded SRT8 could out run a stock LS3 Vette but its almost as if Challenger owners dont realize how big and heavy their cars are. Stock vs. Stock, it isn't even a one car length race, its more like 2-3. I know you have 470 horses guys and the torque to match but I'm getting tired of waisting my fuel on you It isn't even just the SRT8 owners the majority of the time; I get the RT guys with their 5.7 Hemi's who wanna show off to their girlfriends. Quit acting like you HAD to HAVE a back seat for the kids. If you could afford an LS3 Corvette, you would have bought one end of rant.
As the proud owner of an LS3 coupe and a Hemi Charger I feel qualified to comment. I love my Corvette for what it is... the BEST sports car for the money IN THE WORLD. Nothing is remotely like it. I realize that my Hemi Charger would see nothing but taillights in a drag with any LS3 (or any post 97 'vette for that matter) but we're talkin apples and oranges here.
You all know why I bought the Corvette. If you didn't you would not be on this forum.
Why the Charger?
I was tired of the same old s#!t front wheel drive sedan family car. I had a 2006 Cadillac DTS, but got tired of it after a while. Looked at the Chevy SS, but have owned a G8 GT and feel like I've been there done that. SS was over priced and will be a limited run due to Holden going ****-up. Not a Ford man..no Taurus fan..(see same old s#!t)
Charger is a family sedan,(as was the original RoadRunner/Super Bee etc) nothing more nothing less BUT has a lot of performance for the $$ and has been bulletproof as patrol car. Love it for what it is.. a smooth cruiser and long distance driver.
Refer back to the Beach Boys anthem from the sixties (Shut Down). Nothing has changed.
Now when the Hellcat comes out we all need to watch out.

Last edited by Bill Daughterive; 10-25-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
Since you brought up the new Challengers, I do have a question. I graduated from HS in 1971, so I remember well the whole muscle car era. More to my point...Dodge did a great job in capturing the look of the late 60's, early 70's Challenger with their new ones. The same with Ford and their Mustangs. But with Chevy, I well remember the Camaro's at the time, and the new Camaro's, at least in my opinion, don't look anything like those back in the late 60's, early 70's. Maybe they aren't supposed to.

we're the same age ……. the attached pic, taken in 1974, is my '70 T/A Challenger(yeah that 21 year old punk is me). My point is anybody trying to compare a Challenger to a Vette knows NOTHING about automobiles………..
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2012 GS and I have people jump me every time I drive it,I most often don't waste my fuel but today this little idiot in a Subaru WRX with his little turbo jumped on me twice,the third time he tried I spanked him bad in front of his girl,at the next red light he wouldn't even pull up next to me. I don't street race but he had it coming,maybe he will think about the Vette that embarased him next time.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:01 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463
we're the same age ……. the attached pic, taken in 1974, is my '70 T/A Challenger(yeah that 21 year old punk is me). My point is anybody trying to compare a Challenger to a Vette knows NOTHING about automobiles………..
I had a 70 Challenger 340 back in 1973 ,same color,loved that car,yours looks awesome.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by bucwheat
I had a 70 Challenger 340 back in 1973 ,same color,loved that car,yours looks awesome.
T/A or RT ?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:14 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by sdk
I was challenged by Challengers when I drove a Camaro, but not since I bought a Corvette.
That "HellCat" looks bad azz!!! Some folks need a backseat, so don't bash them.
end of the day we drive Chevys...
Old 10-25-2014, 08:18 PM
CheckSix
Racer

Great looking T/A!

Here was my E-Body.... 383 Magnum 4spd car.

Get notified of new replies

To What's with all the Challenger threats? please chime in

Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

My best friend got a 1971 Challenger for graduation (his family had money). It was orange with black stripes, had a 383 magnum. I still remember right when it was new, Dodge forgot to put in an air filter.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:32 PM
2011GSCOUPE
Cruising

That's the one you wish you never sold I bet. Absolutely right that there is no comparison and I don't mean that in putting the Challenger down. The only comparison I would make is that both are rear wheel drive, V8, naturally aspirated, american made cars with similar horsepower output. From a preowned pricing standpoint, anyone purchasing a 2012 or 2013 SRT8, certainly could have bought a 2010 or 2011 Grand Sport instead. I get that some older buyers may have difficulty physically getting in and out of a Vette, or that some need a backseat. I just can't imagine a scenario where you test drive both cars back to back and decide on the SRT8. I'm not convinced that ALL Challenger owners had to have a 4 passenger vehicle. At the end of the day, we are all on here for the same reason; we own the best american made sports car. I only named the Challenger because its the one car that always seems to be a mosquito in my ear. Perhaps Tampa is saturated with them. Different strokes for different folks right?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Attachment 48337607

Quick Reply: What's with all the Challenger threats? please chime in