C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power of attorney ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:04 AM
slimsol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default power of attorney ?

So i looked at this c6 for sale. But a lady is selling it on behalf of her aunt. She said she had power of attorney and she will sign the title over to me after taking money. My question is
1. Anyone has experience buying car from power of attorney?
2. Is it possible tht she is trying to keep car money to herself and not give it to her aunt
3. ANY complications in future from buying a car this way?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:48 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

If she has power of attorney, it's the aunt's problem if she doesn't get the money. However people with POA are usually trusted, so I wouldn't worry about it. She can legally sell you the car.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:51 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

She sould be willing to provide you with a copy of the power of attorney. It should be properly signed and notarized.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:58 AM
C3-PO
Racer

Default power of attorney ... no

Originally Posted by slimsol
So i looked at this c6 for sale. But a lady is selling it on behalf of her aunt. She said she had power of attorney and she will sign the title over to me after taking money. My question is
1. Anyone has experience buying car from power of attorney?
2. Is it possible tht she is trying to keep car money to herself and not give it to her aunt
3. ANY complications in future from buying a car this way?
I don't think she needs a power of attorney. what she does need is her name as lienholder. or some paper work that says she is part owner of the car. you can always write the check to the name of the lienholder (her aunt). that way 'auntie' will get the money and figure how much her niece will receive for her efforts. this also prevents her from reneging, if auntie says no. she must also forge her aunt's name on the sellers line, which would also imply fraud if she does renege on the deal. you can always get you money back. but be aware that the car may only be in her possession, not in her name. people are not bad, but .... you never know. I'm always pessimistic. lastly, drive the car and make sure you give it a good going over before you agree to any thing. good luck with your deal
Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Not only get a copy of the power of attorney that specifies she has full financial authority, but get the transfer (money and title) done at a bank and notarized. You don't want any snags when you apply for registration/license.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:34 AM
slimsol
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
If she has power of attorney, it's the aunt's problem if she doesn't get the money. However people with POA are usually trusted, so I wouldn't worry about it. She can legally sell you the car.
Thanks for your reply. What does bmv need in order to transfer title into my name after i buy the car? Just the title?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 AM
slimsol
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Not only get a copy of the power of attorney that specifies she has full financial authority, but get the transfer (money and title) done at a bank and notarized. You don't want any snags when you apply for registration/license.
She told me to meet her at bank as the title is on bank safe. I am more concerned about bmv and title transfer. I dont know how title transfer and registration works when you buy car from power of attorney.
. Is it better to ask her to meet at bmv?
Old 10-26-2014, 06:12 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

In NC the title has to be notarized when the seller and buyer do the deal. It is a PITA.

I suggest if you are doing the deal in the bank, just have one of the bank notaries sign and stamp the title.
You could also have a deputy there to run the Vin to make sure the car is legally OK, not stolen.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:35 AM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C3-PO
I don't think she needs a power of attorney. what she does need is her name as lienholder. or some paper work that says she is part owner of the car. you can always write the check to the name of the lienholder (her aunt).
Lien holder? What can a lien holder do in such a transaction other than sign off to remove the lien.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:49 AM
piper_chuck
Racer

She told me to meet her at bank as the title is on bank safe. I am more concerned about bmv and title transfer. I dont know how title transfer and registration works when you buy car from power of attorney.
. Is it better to ask her to meet at bmv?
Their are two things you want right with this transaction.
1) That the car is good. Presumably you've checked it out.
2) That the title gets properly transferred to you.

To ensure number 2 is done, meeting at the BMV would be preferable to meeting at the bank. That way, the person at the BMV will confirm the power of attorney meets their requirements. I wouldn't sweat the power of attorney too much, they're more common than many people think. Here are a few links for Indiana:
Limited power of attorney form from Indiana BMV
Buying and selling a vehicle
Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 AM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a car from a guy with power of attorney for his son. Not a big deal. The DMV required the original sealed power of attorney letter to transfer the title though. They don't keep it, just need to see it.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I would verify the phone number for the aunt, and then call the aunt to be sure the PoA is legit.

If the aunt is too busy/lazy/senile to discuss this with you, there could be complications after your money is long gone.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:30 PM
slimsol
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I would verify the phone number for the aunt, and then call the aunt to be sure the PoA is legit.

If the aunt is too busy/lazy/senile to discuss this with you, there could be complications after your money is long gone.
What kind of complications can happen after i have vehicle title transfered to my name?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Possibly a claim by aunt or some other entity (other relative, some claimant) that the asset should not have been sold. Therefore, whoever now holds the title may not have clear title. That's why it is customary to do the deal at a financial institution but imo, doing it at a DMV in this case due to a POA will/may clear the air more.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

What kind of complications can happen after i have vehicle title transfered to my name?
you are very naïve if you are asking this question - I would suggest you stay away from this transaction...find another vehicle where the owner himself/herself is selling the car
Old 10-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
you are very naïve if you are asking this question - I would suggest you stay away from this transaction...find another vehicle where the owner himself/herself is selling the car
WHAT could possibly go wrong???

She may/maybe not have a legitimate POA, but who gets the money? The money should go to the name on the title, not the POA, unless they have written authority.

Lien-holder doesn't come into play, unless there is one. Then lien has to be satisfied first, and be able to prove it.

You could be giving, yes GIVING the car back to the real owner and trying, yes TRYING to get your money back.

A lot more information is needed before a intelligent answer can be given.

Everyone thinks that everyone will cooperate until you find there is fraud involved, and then watch things back up and everything go sideways except for your money.

You can never be too careful.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:27 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Maybe I am underthinking this but...if the transaction is done at the bank and she has a bank approved POA, then I say go for it! Let the bank be a party. Why is it, when a transaction is a little wonky, everyone assumes fraud.
Just sayin...

Get notified of new replies

To power of attorney ?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Maybe I am underthinking this but...if the transaction is done at the bank and she has a bank approved POA, then I say go for it! Let the bank be a party. Why is it, when a transaction is a little wonky, everyone assumes fraud.
Just sayin...
the bank will not become a party to the transaction...as to fraud, people commit it for $50 transactions all day long
Old 10-26-2014, 08:02 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Just sayin...
The bank is irrelevant. They are not going to transfer the title. The agency that matters is the BMV, they are the one who will decide if the POA is acceptable or not.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:03 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
the bank will not become a party to the transaction...as to fraud, people commit it for $50 transactions all day long
Really? Been to a couple of those signings and, if the documents pass the bank's muster, everything is good...

Quick Reply: power of attorney ?