C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 stange starting after intake manifold porting

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 stange starting after intake manifold porting

I recently have ran into a very weird issue after installing a ported intake. First let me tell you what I have figured out so far. I installed a ported LS2 manifold and cleaned my injectors. Car has headers, CAI, and ported manifold as far as mods go no tuning has been done. The car did not have this issue before the manifold was installed.

1.Injectors pass tests and are flow matched to 3%.

2.I cant find any vacuum leaks at or near the manifold or injector holes.

3.Once started cars runs and drives great no issues.

The issue:

If I leave the car sit overnight it starts up great no problem. If I drive it then shut it off and restart immediately no problem. Now if I drive it to the store and it sets 15+ minutes it cranks several times then stumbles for a second and usually a little smoke comes out the exhaust. I thought it was leaking fuel injectors but they really don't leak on the flow bench.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Get it tuned. Porting the manifold as well as the headers install have increased air flow thru the engine. Do a dyno tune to get it optimized for the mods.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Sorry just to clarify it had the headers before I put the manifold on.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know this for a fact but Sub's suggestion seems reasonable. After awhile the cumulative mods to your car will require a tune or things can get sticky for you.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

car shouldn't need a tune with headers and ported intake. I installed ported fast and long tubes and the car acted normal before and after the tune.
op has other issues.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:06 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

While it is true that other issues likely exist I would suggest a dyno tune none the less - a good tuner will be able to get a great look at all kinds of settings, flow rates and parameters not normally seen - during this part of the tuning process he may discover what the issue is
Even a pure stock car can benefit from a good dyno tune
Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 AM
ktaustins
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may check the fuel pressure regulator. In my Chevy pickup the pressure regulator diaphragm got a small hole and gas would bypass through the vacuum line and flood the engine. pull the vacuum line and if it has gas in it the regulator is bad.
I don't know if the corvette has the same type of vacuum controlled regulator? someone else could chime in if they know.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the same issue for some time. Three tuners have not solved this issue. I will be following your post. Here was mine:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...warmed-up.html

Do you have an 2005? All my searches had one common denominator, 2005 LS2's. Just a guess.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Vetteguy88
I recently have ran into a very weird issue after installing a ported intake. First let me tell you what I have figured out so far. I installed a ported LS2 manifold and cleaned my injectors. Car has headers, CAI, and ported manifold as far as mods go no tuning has been done. The car did not have this issue before the manifold was installed.

The issue:

If I leave the car sit overnight it starts up great no problem. If I drive it then shut it off and restart immediately no problem. Now if I drive it to the store and it sets 15+ minutes it cranks several times then stumbles for a second and usually a little smoke comes out the exhaust. I thought it was leaking fuel injectors but they really don't leak on the flow bench.

Last edited by Justasheet; 10-28-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:44 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

imo...I don't think that the op has the same issues as you do. his can be easily remedied by reinstalling a stock intake and removing the ported one from the equation. you installed a cam so yours will be a little more involved to sort.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
imo...I don't think that the op has the same issues as you do. his can be easily remedied by reinstalling a stock intake and removing the ported one from the equation. you installed a cam so yours will be a little more involved to sort.
agreed...but similar sounding start up issue. I'm always willing to see what fixes OP's car.
Jeff
Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

The issue:

what method did you use to check for vacuum leaks?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:47 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Justasheet
agreed...but similar sounding start up issue. I'm always willing to see what fixes OP's car.
Jeff
i'm guessing he has a vacuum leak either from porting the intake or the install.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Sprayed carb cleaner around all the ports and listened for an idle speed change.

what method did you use to check for vacuum leaks?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:08 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Sprayed carb cleaner around all the ports and listened for an idle speed change.
who ported the intake?
I've read its easy to screw up if not ported correctly. do you have a stocker to try out? if not, I have one if needed but you would need to pay shipping both ways.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:14 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

The issue:

sounds like something is causing it to flood
Old 10-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

who ported the intake?
I've read its easy to screw up if not ported correctly. do you have a stocker to try out? if not, I have one if needed but you would need to pay shipping both ways.
I ported it myself. Really just soothed the runners and enlarged the openings slightly. Wouldn't it run poorly if that was the case?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Originally Posted by irok
sounds like something is causing it to flood
That is my thought too but where is the fuel coming from if not the injectors?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 stange starting after intake manifold porting

Quick Reply: C6 stange starting after intake manifold porting