C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Check Oil Level" Display Warning Question

Old 11-05-2014, 02:54 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
Default "Check Oil Level" Display Warning Question

The "Check Oil Level" on the dash display of my '05 came on today just a day before I'm scheduled for an oil change. Does anyone know how low the oil is when this light comes on or can take an educated guess? Just curious as to how many miles it is safe to drive the car when this warning comes on. Also, does this even mean that my oil level is indeed low or could it just be an electrical issue? Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 03:03 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The first step should be to check the oil level on the dipstick...if it indeed low there, then believe the DIC warning. If it is fine on the dipstick then the warning is likely an electrical problem. The dipstick is the final word on the oil level...trust it.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
The first step should be to check the oil level on the dipstick...if it indeed low there, then believe the DIC warning. If it is fine on the dipstick then the warning is likely an electrical problem. The dipstick is the final word on the oil level...trust it.
Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

If it is low and you need to drive it anywhere, fill it to at least the low line on the dipstick. It doesn't matter if you are changing it later on today or tomorrow. In my opinion, don't drive it with low oil.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:55 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine came on once, I was down 1/2 a liter, which is a little less than half a quart.

I always keep a liter of Mobil 1 in the cubby in the trunk, just in case. My care rarely uses any oil, but does occasionally and in the event it catches me by surprise on a long trip out in the wilds I don't want to have to drive far to find the right oil. I used to drive BMWs and they all dame from the factory with a liter of oil in the trunk, nicely packaged in a little zippered carrying case, that's where I got the idea.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:45 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Originally Posted by v26278
Mine came on once, I was down 1/2 a liter, which is a little less than half a quart.

I always keep a liter of Mobil 1 in the cubby in the trunk, just in case. My care rarely uses any oil, but does occasionally and in the event it catches me by surprise on a long trip out in the wilds I don't want to have to drive far to find the right oil. I used to drive BMWs and they all dame from the factory with a liter of oil in the trunk, nicely packaged in a little zippered carrying case, that's where I got the idea.
Thank you so much! That was the answer I was looking for. And thank you for the good idea.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Check the dipstick first. If all's good and you have headers check the wiring by the headers. The wires in my friends C5 melted causing the Low Oil Level light to come on

Get notified of new replies

To "Check Oil Level" Display Warning Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Check Oil Level" Display Warning Question