C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing window motor and regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Gregcoggans
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing window motor and regulator

I'm waiting for a new window regulator and motor to be sent to me. The window is stuck in the down position. I wanted to pull the mounts up so at least the car would be secure. I was told this could be done, but found they wouldn't raise. So I took the regulator and motor out of the door, I shut the door, now it won't open, I went in through the driver side, re-connected the motor, and door plugs, but still no lights in the controls, and still the door doesn't open, I'm told that the locking mechanism has to be reset, how do I go about doing this, I live in Vancouver Canada, at the GM dealer here, they want $715 for the part, and of course shop cost, and told only a GM dealer can reset the door locking control, I've seen on the Internet that I can buy this part for $300, and I'm pretty good with my hands, can anybody help me to get this done, it's a 2005 c6 coupe LS2
Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I had my passenger window down, the regulator cables unravelled, and I couldn't get the window up. In order to free up the window, I snipped the cables, removed the regulator part from the window and wedged the window shut with a block of wood until the new regulator would come in.
My door wouldn't open either, so I took only the motor part away from the old regulator, attached it to the door skin, plugged it in, plugged in the door lock assembly, and I was able to then open the door.

If that didn't work for you, check your connections at the plug ins, and if OK, then disconnect and reconnect the battery. Hopefully that will reset whatever is causing the error in that electrical circuit.

The work involved in changing out the regulator is fairly easy. If you took out the old regulator, you have the hardest part done.
Putting in the new regulator is just a matter of squeezing the new regulator in the space, bolting it down, and getting the window in the correct position.
I marked my window where the regulator pads were sitting before I took my regulator off the window, so I wouldn't need to re-adjust the window,
Even if you didn't mark your window position, put your window on the pads finger tight, raise your window, shut the door to make sure your glass is sitting on the door rubber seals evenly across the top of the window.
If not, raise or lower the pads accordingly to get the window even and sitting at the correct height.

BTW, in case you haven't run across this, once you put the new regulator in, the window will not go up all the way unless the door is closed
Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-13-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Gregcoggans
Cruising

Default Window motor problem

Thank you for the advice and knowledge, this is my first time on this site and within minutes I had a reply to my question, it's to late now to do more work on the car now, but will give your advice a try tomorrow, I also opened the motor case, and to me looks like an ordinary electric motor, why can't it just be fixed, new brushes , etc, to the eye, there looks like not a thing wrong with the motor, or regulator
Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gregcoggans
Thank you for the advice and knowledge, this is my first time on this site and within minutes I had a reply to my question, it's to late now to do more work on the car now, but will give your advice a try tomorrow, I also opened the motor case, and to me looks like an ordinary electric motor, why can't it just be fixed, new brushes , etc, to the eye, there looks like not a thing wrong with the motor, or regulator
Normally, it's not a bad motor. Usually, the cable get frayed, then binds up inside the spool that the motor turns. Once it binds up, then it will not move without cutting the cables off. If you can see any rust on the cables or on the plastic pieces, then it's the cable.
My motor was still working perfectly, but the cable was toast.
There actually is a guy on e-bay that re-cables the regulator unit for $145.00, but you have to send him your regulator, he fixes then sends it back. Way too long for a turn around especially shipping to the USA.

I bought my regulator in the US at GMpartshouse for $320.00 (no tax). They wanted over $700.00 with taxes at the local GM dealer here.
That is price gouging at it's best at the GM dealers in Canada.
I buy most of my parts in the US, get them sent to a US address, and pick them up there. I'm 1.5 hours from the border, so it's not too inconvenient. I just have to pay the GST when I cross back into Canada.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-13-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Gregcoggans
Cruising

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Normally, it's not a bad motor. Usually, the cable get frayed, then binds up inside the spool that the motor turns. Once it binds up, then it will not move without cutting the cables off. If you can see any rust on the cables or on the plastic pieces, then it's the cable.
My motor was still working perfectly, but the cable was toast.
There actually is a guy on e-bay that re-cables the regulator unit for $145.00, but you have to send him your regulator, he fixes then sends it back. Way too long for a turn around especially shipping to the USA.

I bought my regulator in the US at GMpartshouse for $320.00 (no tax). They wanted over $700.00 with taxes at the local GM dealer here.
That is price gouging at it's best at the GM dealers in Canada.
I buy most of my parts in the US, get them sent to a US address, and pick them up there. I'm 1.5 hours from the border, so it's not too inconvenient. I just have to pay the GST when I cross back into Canada.
there is no rust, no damage, the motor looks fine, both outside and inside,what do you think, my wife was using the car, she said she rolled the window down, but it wouldn't come back up, I've checked the switch, no damage, the motor and cables look fine, but some how, water got into the door, having a new sound system installed, they left the rubber flaps down, great service for a $5000 sound system Eli's there any way to have the motor tested
Old 11-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Gregcoggans
Cruising

Default Fuses

there is no rust, no damage, the motor looks fine, both outside and inside,what do you think, my wife was using the car, she said she rolled the window down, but it wouldn't come back up, I've checked the switch, no damage, the motor and cables look fine, but some how, water got into the door, having a new sound system installed, they left the rubber flaps down, great service for a $5000 sound system Eli's there any way to have the motor tested
Are the fuses separate for the driver and passenger doors, my problem is with the pasenger door
Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Have you checked the fuses? They are in the passenger footwell under the carpet.
If the fuses are OK, and disconnecting the battery doesn't reset it, then water might of got in the window control module and shorted it out.

Here is a wiring diagram of the window circuit (both driver/passenger are shown. Although it's for a 2006, the 2005 is the same.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-14-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:45 AM
Gregcoggans
Cruising

Have you checked the fuses? They are in the passenger footwell under the carpet.
If the fuses are OK, and disconnecting the battery doesn't reset it, then water might of got in the window control module and shorted it out.

Here is a wiring diagram of the window circuit (both driver/passenger are shown. Although it's for a 2006, the 2005 is the same.

I found a site called
C6 corvette tips and secrets, on it tip#28 says, the window switches are not connected to the window motors, they send a request to the computer, and the computer lowers the windows
Since I said that there was a significant amount of water in the door, or at least went through the dood, what advice do you have about this information, tomorrow I will disconnect the battery and maybe it might reset itself
I also read that there is a breaker, and that if there is a problem, the breaker goes until the problem is fixed, I'm assuming that this is different from a fuse, since a fuse doesn't reset
Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

I found a site called
C6 corvette tips and secrets, on it tip#28 says, the window switches are not connected to the window motors, they send a request to the computer, and the computer lowers the windows
Since I said that there was a significant amount of water in the door, or at least went through the dood, what advice do you have about this information, tomorrow I will disconnect the battery and maybe it might reset itself
I also read that there is a breaker, and that if there is a problem, the breaker goes until the problem is fixed, I'm assuming that this is different from a fuse, since a fuse doesn't reset
The circuit for the switches etc. all work through the module (FPDM) as per the wiring diagram.
The breaker is shown in the diagram as circuit breaker block.
Maybe the battery disconnect will work, but if not, try to find the module and see if it got wet. I'm not 100% positive, but the module may be part of the window regulator assembly.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Gregcoggans
Cruising

Default Changing window motor

The circuit for the switches etc. all work through the module (FPDM) as per the wiring diagram.
The breaker is shown in the diagram as circuit breaker block.
Maybe the battery disconnect will work, but if not, try to find the module and see if it got wet. I'm not 100% positive, but the module may be part of the window regulator assembly.

Well, it did work, I unhooked the battery and re hooked it up, and now the door works,but still not the window motor.... I'm curious, does anyone know if I can buy just the modual, without the motor and regulator,,,again, thank you for all the information you gave to me,.... What a great site this is
Old 11-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Gregcoggans
Cruising

Default Computer modual in door window motor

Does anyone know if I can buy JUST the modal, not the complete motor and regulator assembly
Old 11-17-2014, 08:57 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, it did work, I unhooked the battery and re hooked it up, and now the door works,but still not the window motor.... I'm curious, does anyone know if I can buy just the modual, without the motor and regulator,,,again, thank you for all the information you gave to me,.... What a great site this is
I don't believe that you can buy the module separately.
What I'm about to tell you is going to make you sick!
As of last Thursday, before you posted this thread, I threw out the passenger side regulator motor and module in the trash. I had kept it for a long time, and decided that I would probably never use it again since I replaced both regulators. I do have the driver door regulator as one piece (still works) but the module would not work on the passenger side. It's the one in the pic I took.

I actually went in the garage to double check, and it was gone.
Very sorry about that
Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Gregcoggans
Cruising

I don't believe that you can buy the module separately.
What I'm about to tell you is going to make you sick!
As of last Thursday, before you posted this thread, I threw out the passenger side regulator motor and module in the trash. I had kept it for a long time, and decided that I would probably never use it again since I replaced both regulators. I do have the driver door regulator as one piece (still works) but the module would not work on the passenger side. It's the one in the pic I took.

I actually went in the garage to double check, and it was gone.
Very sorry about that
That's funny eh......oh well. Thanks for trying to help me though, like I said, I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and ,,, now the passenger door opens, I now have the motor and regulator on the living room floor in front of me, a little good news, as I said before, my assembly looks like brand new, not a bit of rust, no damage etc, my thought was if I pull the spindle out of the motor, I said before that I opened the outer case, 4 screws, and saw what was in there, that's how I know that this too looks like brand new, al wires where there supposed to be, rotates easily, no water got in here, etc....if I pulled the spindle, I'd be able to lift the mounts manually to the up position, and replace the window, at least there would be a window there,...well it worked, then I replaced the motor spindle, and now the regulator looks like new, but the window will be up....why I'm stalling on buying a new motor and regulator is for all I told you, I can't see why this isn't working,...I also tonight disconnected the modular from the motor, as you see in your photo, it's very easy,..and again, no water damage, or physical damage at all in a min. I'm going to blow dry inside the modual, and then replace it ,plug it in to the car and hope for the best,...keep you informed
Old 11-18-2014, 09:11 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

That's funny eh......oh well. Thanks for trying to help me though, like I said, I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and ,,, now the passenger door opens, I now have the motor and regulator on the living room floor in front of me, a little good news, as I said before, my assembly looks like brand new, not a bit of rust, no damage etc, my thought was if I pull the spindle out of the motor, I said before that I opened the outer case, 4 screws, and saw what was in there, that's how I know that this too looks like brand new, al wires where there supposed to be, rotates easily, no water got in here, etc....if I pulled the spindle, I'd be able to lift the mounts manually to the up position, and replace the window, at least there would be a window there,...well it worked, then I replaced the motor spindle, and now the regulator looks like new, but the window will be up....why I'm stalling on buying a new motor and regulator is for all I told you, I can't see why this isn't working,...I also tonight disconnected the modular from the motor, as you see in your photo, it's very easy,..and again, no water damage, or physical damage at all in a min. I'm going to blow dry inside the modual, and then replace it ,plug it in to the car and hope for the best,...keep you informed
Hopefully it will work.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing window motor and regulator

Quick Reply: Changing window motor and regulator