C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first c6 owner with a rear end problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:45 AM
jstephens129
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first c6 owner with a rear end problem

i own a 2005 corvette convertible auto with 82k on her which I bought a few weeks ago.. I think I was so excited to buy it that I didn't really notice the rear end noise until I drove it when I got home .. I trailered it home by the way.. I have read many topics on rear end clunk noise but haven't really seen any constant noise topics.. my rear end or tires are making a loud whining noise regardless or speed.. almost sounding like bad wheel bearings .. I tried going in and out of lanes to see if the sound changed which It did not .. and the tires although are not new there certainly not bald.. today im going to change the rear diff fluid with some from autozone and see if it helps but has anyone experienced this noise?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:29 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Does the noise change with speed or does it change with rpm? What kind of tires, some of them get LOUD when they are old.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:08 PM
jstephens129
6th Gear

When I turn to the left at low speeds in say a parking lot I hear a noise from the rear end. .clanking or rubbing of some sort
Old 11-15-2014, 12:17 PM
jstephens129
6th Gear

It's only when I turn the wheel to the left and the sound is coming from passenger side
Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

Make sure you use the correct rear differential fluid and additive in the correct amount.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

sounds like the differential
Old 11-15-2014, 12:48 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,344 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by Rick369
Make sure you use the correct rear differential fluid and additive in the correct amount.
GM"s recommended is the best now.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:52 PM
jstephens129
6th Gear

I got Mobil 1 synthetic with additive
Old 11-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
sounds like the differential
Old 11-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by jstephens129
i own a 2005 corvette convertible auto with 82k on her which I bought a few weeks ago.. I think I was so excited to buy it that I didn't really notice the rear end noise until I drove it when I got home .. I trailered it home by the way.. I have read many topics on rear end clunk noise but haven't really seen any constant noise topics.. my rear end or tires are making a loud whining noise regardless or speed.. almost sounding like bad wheel bearings .. I tried going in and out of lanes to see if the sound changed which It did not .. and the tires although are not new there certainly not bald.. today im going to change the rear diff fluid with some from autozone and see if it helps but has anyone experienced this noise?
Having owned my '05 since new, I'm familiar with just about all the foibles with these models. Rear end noise is usually caused by one of two issues. First are loose rear axle nuts; second is differential fluid with insufficient friction modifier. The DIY fix for either is pretty simple. For the axle nuts, check tightness using a 33mm socket. If any play at all, they should be replaced (GM p/n 10257766). Note that these nuts are "torque conditioned" & should not be reused, although you can tighten the existing nuts (140 ft lbs) to check if that solves the problem. Procedure is to remove the old nuts; apply Red Loctite (hi-temp) to the shaft threads; torque the new nuts to 140 lbs; allow the Loctite to dry overnight before driving. For the diff fluid, you want Dexron LS Gear Oil 75W-90 (GM p/n 88862624). Run the car to hear the old oil; drain & refill. Then run 8 or 10 "figure 8's" somewhere which drives the new oil into the clutch packs in the diff. Hope this all helps.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:18 PM
jstephens129
6th Gear

So your saying not to use the mobile 1 gear oil?well I did and it seems a lot better ..The problem is I don't drive it enough to know if it's really better but I went out in the street and did about 8 complete circles each way and couldn't hear it anymore..I think the constant wheel bearing like sound is the tires..
Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM
jstephens129
6th Gear

Never checked axle nuts I will do it tomorrow
Old 11-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

We had this problem with my wife's 06 convertible, I found that if I went to a Parking lot(Empty one) and did 15-20 Really tight and fast figure 8's it would fix the problem for a few weeks. But once we changed the differential and the additive the problem went away. But the figure 8's worked well for a quick fix
Old 11-16-2014, 10:13 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Change your rear end fluid first and see if that does the trick.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:22 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave S
Having owned my '05 since new, I'm familiar with just about all the foibles with these models. Rear end noise is usually caused by one of two issues. First are loose rear axle nuts; second is differential fluid with insufficient friction modifier. The DIY fix for either is pretty simple. For the axle nuts, check tightness using a 33mm socket. If any play at all, they should be replaced (GM p/n 10257766). Note that these nuts are "torque conditioned" & should not be reused, although you can tighten the existing nuts (140 ft lbs) to check if that solves the problem. Procedure is to remove the old nuts; apply Red Loctite (hi-temp) to the shaft threads; torque the new nuts to 140 lbs; allow the Loctite to dry overnight before driving. For the diff fluid, you want Dexron LS Gear Oil 75W-90 (GM p/n 88862624). Run the car to hear the old oil; drain & refill. Then run 8 or 10 "figure 8's" somewhere which drives the new oil into the clutch packs in the diff. Hope this all helps.
I had a 05 since new and changed the rear end fluid twice and there were no metal filings or anything in the fluid. I also added friction modifiers both times and tried Royal Purple Synthetic and the Mobil LS fluid. No problem there. I checked my end links and again no problem. Brought it to a dealer ...same story they couldn't locate the problem. About a week ago I found a link about the axle nuts. I bought 2 of them on EBAY for about $3.99 each and have not had a chance to install them since it snowed out. I am hoping it's the axle nuts too! I have 40,000 miles on the car now and hopefully the axle nuts will solve the problem.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

aaaaah .....ok, i thought the title meant you were the first C6 owner to have a "rear end problem"....at the age many of us are, the possibility of "rear end problems" is fairly significant!!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:06 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewayne'sC6
We had this problem with my wife's 06 convertible, I found that if I went to a Parking lot(Empty one) and did 15-20 Really tight and fast figure 8's it would fix the problem for a few weeks. But once we changed the differential and the additive the problem went away. But the figure 8's worked well for a quick fix
This could be used for that . . . other . . . quick fix

Just saying!

Get notified of new replies

To first c6 owner with a rear end problem

Old 12-02-2014, 08:45 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave S
Dave S: Thank you very much for the detailed information. I finally had a chance to install the axle nut. It took a whole five minutes to remove the center cap and install the new axel nut which is the part number you listed. I had quite a difficult time finding a 33mm deep socket or a 1 5/16 socket. I finally located a used socket 1 5/16 from a local pawn shop. It was a 3/4 inch drive which I bought for $5 and I went to Sears and obtained a reducer from 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch and it worked great. The axle nut was easy to remove and was about as tight as a wheel lug nut. I torqued it to the 180 ft lbs and took it for a drive. I couldn't hardly believe my problem was solved. I bought this car new and it has taken me this long to finally pinpoint the problem. Nobody including a Chevrolet dealer could ever tell me what was wrong with the car. I knew it wasn't the rear end because when I drained and refilled the fluid twice I could tell there were no metallic particles in the fluid. Thank you again for the info and I am so happy to have finally fixed this bothersome noise on left hand slow turns. Excellant advice.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by joeking
Dave S: Thank you very much for the detailed information. I finally had a chance to install the axle nut. It took a whole five minutes to remove the center cap and install the new axel nut which is the part number you listed. I had quite a difficult time finding a 33mm deep socket or a 1 5/16 socket. I finally located a used socket 1 5/16 from a local pawn shop. It was a 3/4 inch drive which I bought for $5 and I went to Sears and obtained a reducer from 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch and it worked great. The axle nut was easy to remove and was about as tight as a wheel lug nut. I torqued it to the 180 ft lbs and took it for a drive. I couldn't hardly believe my problem was solved. I bought this car new and it has taken me this long to finally pinpoint the problem. Nobody including a Chevrolet dealer could ever tell me what was wrong with the car. I knew it wasn't the rear end because when I drained and refilled the fluid twice I could tell there were no metallic particles in the fluid. Thank you again for the info and I am so happy to have finally fixed this bothersome noise on left hand slow turns. Excellant advice.
Well, I hope I'm not telling you something new, Joe, but I hope that isn't the procedure you followed. The last time I read a thread on the axle nut procedure it included new axle nuts (non-reusable), Loctite, and somewhere around 140 ft. lbs. of tightening. There's got to be the most current thread on this topic somewhere...
Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM
rmiller86
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any noise from my 05 yet, fingers crossed, but will keep all this in mind.

Quick Reply: first c6 owner with a rear end problem