C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM
mlombana
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony s
I have an 08 coupe . I also thought I smelled gas after filling it. Just filled out that NHTSA's recall form. Has anyone fixed it on there own or had it fixed? Is it an easy fix? Thanks
I purchased my 07 used 2 months ago when after the 1st fill-up suddenly had the issue, (previous owner likely did too but they were going to charge him I got an extended warranty)... anyway, took it to the dealer and 2 days later they had it fixed. They didn't hesitate one bit to take care of it and in fact the guy in front of me had the exact same issue.

Dealer said something about having to replace a seal that goes between the 2 tanks, I have the repair ticket, didn't seem to phase them to do it.

Miguel
Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Chris Bert
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Filled that form out
Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RainMan12
Sorry, that was my fault, I probably should have titled it better.

NHTSA is currently looking into this issue, but at this point in time, there is no official recall.

It appears that the plastic GM uses on the fuel pumps (and possibly other fuel parts as well) turns brittle over time, and then cracks at the top of the pump and leaks. The problem has absolutely nothing to do with how much you filled the tank.

If you have previously paid to have your car fixed for a gas leak at the tanks, you should save your repair bill receipts, because in the event there is a recall for this, you could get reimbursed.

This is also why if you have previously had this problem and gotten it fixed, you should go to the NHTSA site and fill out the complaint form, because this will give them more evidence they need to get GM to do a recall.
Had puddles of fuel under the car before getting it done. I paid roughly 2 grand to fix that damn problem.

Hopefully GM does right and issues a recall.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Granitehead53
Instructor

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Filled out complaint form today
Old 12-10-2014, 01:00 PM
ThunderWheels
Racer

Originally Posted by wayback
I had the gas smell anytime tank was over half full. Dealer did a smoke test and found the leak in the EVAP line coming off fuel pump. Pump was replaced under warranty.
Wow, I had this exact issue. It was anytime the tank was around half full or more. The dealer tried to claim I ran over something and cracked the tank. I decided to remove it myself and found it was the pump. It will take at least three cars catching fire before anything happens. You may as well DIY.
The following users liked this post:
hr619 (09-27-2020)
Old 12-10-2014, 04:26 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

" It will take at least three cars catching fire before anything happens"
What a horrible thought! I'd hate to see anyone get hurt over this!? Let's hope that the "new" GM will act on this quickly?
Mike
Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mracer
" It will take at least three cars catching fire before anything happens"
What a horrible thought! I'd hate to see anyone get hurt over this!? Let's hope that the "new" GM will act on this quickly?
Mike
The only way this will get addressed is if folks will fill out the NHTSA form to file a complaint, period.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 2008 in New Zealand

After reading all these posts I'm getting quite concerned. I haven't noticed any petrol smell, though I don't think I have ever filled it completely up. Will be in February when we go on holiday to our Corvette convention. If there is a recall on this, I wonder if I could get them to send me the parts so I can do it myself?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Chris Bert
Advanced

I drop my car off tomorrow morning. When I bought my car last month they threw in a 6month warranty, so I SHOULD be covered. At least I better be.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 AM
RainMan12
Racer

The other issue no one has talked about is re-occurrence.

Even after GM does the repair and replaces the fuel pump, as far as I know, they are replacing it with the exact same pump with the same part number. So this means a few years down the road, you could have to repeat this whole nightmare all over again.

Here is a photo showing how the gas runs down the back side of the fuel tank, right next to the exhaust. You can see the stain on the tank.

Here is a photo of the cracks in the fuel pump that are causing the leak.

Last edited by RainMan12; 12-15-2014 at 11:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RainMan12:
BrknWndC6 (12-28-2019), JasonKW (01-09-2023)
Old 12-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Chris Bert
Advanced

RainMan, I really hope you're right about that. My car is at the shop right now and I gave them the go ahead to drop the tanks and find out exactly where it's coming from. If it's what we all think, warranty will cover it. If not, I'm stuck with the bill
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Chris Bert
Advanced

Well, looks like according to the dealership I have a crack in my tank. So I told them just to put it back together since my extended warranty didn't want to cover it. I hope it burns on the side of the road
BrknWndC6 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 PM
09LS3
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

My 2009 had the same issue.
What bothered me about this problem was that it contradicted itself.
if it was caused by a leak in the tank, it should have generated an evap dtc;
if it was a cracked fitting on the fuel sending unit, you should smell fumes all the time, regardless of how much fuel was in the tanks.

I dropped my tank and saw that there was fuel puddling on the top of the tank, but could not determine exactly what the source was. I did not see any cracks on the fuel fitting, nor did I see any obvious leaks.
I could however tell from the traces, that it was not coming from the crossover pipe. The only suspicious thing I saw, was that the hose that seems to be "shrunk" onto the sending unit, was free to spin on the nipple that it was attached to; I could not pull it off, but it seemed to me that it should have a tighter fit.
So... I replaced it with a new Delphi pump, also installed the new o-ring that seals the unit to the tank. It has been about two weeks since, and I have filled up twice and have had no more issues. I still do not understand why the fuel smell was only present when fuel level was greater than 1/3 -1/2 tank but time is diminishing my curiosity.
Btw; the car is a manual trans, I pulled the tank down on a saturday, ordered a pump in the afternoon. Picked the new pump up on sunday; cleaned tank, and installed pump and had car running before the 3:00 football game. It is not "that" difficult a job (at least with a man trans).
Old 12-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Chris Bert
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09LS3
My 2009 had the same issue.
What bothered me about this problem was that it contradicted itself.
if it was caused by a leak in the tank, it should have generated an evap dtc;
if it was a cracked fitting on the fuel sending unit, you should smell fumes all the time, regardless of how much fuel was in the tanks.

I dropped my tank and saw that there was fuel puddling on the top of the tank, but could not determine exactly what the source was. I did not see any cracks on the fuel fitting, nor did I see any obvious leaks.
I could however tell from the traces, that it was not coming from the crossover pipe. The only suspicious thing I saw, was that the hose that seems to be "shrunk" onto the sending unit, was free to spin on the nipple that it was attached to; I could not pull it off, but it seemed to me that it should have a tighter fit.
So... I replaced it with a new Delphi pump, also installed the new o-ring that seals the unit to the tank. It has been about two weeks since, and I have filled up twice and have had no more issues. I still do not understand why the fuel smell was only present when fuel level was greater than 1/3 -1/2 tank but time is diminishing my curiosity.
Btw; the car is a manual trans, I pulled the tank down on a saturday, ordered a pump in the afternoon. Picked the new pump up on sunday; cleaned tank, and installed pump and had car running before the 3:00 football game. It is not "that" difficult a job (at least with a man trans).

You should work at a dealership then. They told me that was a 10hr job. New tank and labor was going to be $1700+
BrknWndC6 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Nick Dominguez
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can park my 08 after driving even a short while with a tank lower than 1/2 full and I get the fuel smell. It is strong enough to have to roll the windows down to air it out while I'm driving. I will have to see if I can get the tank checked, because I've been worried.
BrknWndC6 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default 2011 auto grand sport...

This thread peek my curiosity sense I had a run in with a very strong gas smell inside the car about 3 days after I picked up a new to me 17.5 k mile 2011 auto grand sport, funny thing is after a couple of days smell completely disappeared.

Smell was strong enough I told my son about it, like fresh abundant gas.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:21 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Make no mistake about it, if you're smelling gas, you have a gas leak, and you need to get it fixed as soon as possible. It is not something you want to ignore.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 12-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Stephen Fiorino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Convertable and have never has a smell of gas in the car. I have always told the people at the gas pump when it clicks, no more gas. I live in NJ where U can not pump your own. So far so good.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Originally Posted by Stephen Fiorino
I have a 2007 Convertable and have never has a smell of gas in the car. I have always told the people at the gas pump when it clicks, no more gas. I live in NJ where U can not pump your own. So far so good.
This problem has absolutely nothing to do with how you fill the gas tank. It is a component failure. Tiny cracks in the fuel pump housing cause it to leak when the fuel pump pressurizes the fuel line. There have also been some reports of the fuel tank itself cracking.

The number of vehicles affected with this problem is growing DAILY. It will be interesting to see how the "new GM" handles this, or if they will wait until they are FORCED by NHTSA to do a recall.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Billy Daniel
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default samething

Originally Posted by mlombana
I purchased my 07 used 2 months ago when after the 1st fill-up suddenly had the issue, (previous owner likely did too but they were going to charge him I got an extended warranty)... anyway, took it to the dealer and 2 days later they had it fixed. They didn't hesitate one bit to take care of it and in fact the guy in front of me had the exact same issue.

Dealer said something about having to replace a seal that goes between the 2 tanks, I have the repair ticket, didn't seem to phase them to do it.

Miguel
I just bought a 2007 about 2 months ago and the exact same deal. 1st fillup and smelled gas just as soon as I got to the house after parking the car.My driveway has a slight incline and I could hear something dripping on what sounded like could be the exhast. Made a sizzling noise so what it was dripping on was hot. So I went to the dealership made an appointment to get it checked out. Car goes in friday to be dropped off. Hope the extended warrenty covers it. They said it would if this is the problem. Hope so. Oh I filled out the safety complaint form. Maybe that will help to get a recall for this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *