C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the car back yesterday. They were able to get the fuel pump out without breaking anything. They said the car was leaking fuel from one of the crossover pipe seals. They replaced the pipe and seals. Final cost was $946 with $730 of it being labor. They mentioned a one year, unlimited mileage warranty on the repair. Hope the fuel pump holds up. Really don't want to have to do it all over again.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Bullseye96
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I filed my report.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

My son just filed a complaint for his 2008 coupe.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Default I have same crack

Originally Posted by RainMan12
The other issue no one has talked about is re-occurrence.

Even after GM does the repair and replaces the fuel pump, as far as I know, they are replacing it with the exact same pump with the same part number. So this means a few years down the road, you could have to repeat this whole nightmare all over again.

Here is a photo showing how the gas runs down the back side of the fuel tank, right next to the exhaust. You can see the stain on the tank.

Here is a photo of the cracks in the fuel pump that are causing the leak.

Wow My pump has almost the exact same crack. I am going to seal it with some fuel resistant epoxie or something before putting tank back in the car.. Glad I read this...
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Default Filling complaint

If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.
Okay I just thought of something. I will be filling my complaint with the
NHTSA. Also I was talking with GM to try and work out some kind of deal with thier inferiour parts with the fuel system that fail under 60,000 miles on a 58,000 dollar car. So I just thought isint it funny that my car that I cannot register untill I pass smog check in California, and it wont pass because of a bad fuel leval sender that gereates an error code. The actual emissions of the engine is very low. The lowest of any car I have every owned. So the AQMD and the great state of Cali...makes a law that says I cannot pass smog untill I fix a error code that really has nothing to do with the actual emissins...But it is okay to drive around while spilling fuel out of the gas tank. And GM is not going to do a thing about it. Maybe we all need to file a claim with the AQMD as well.....
Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cormudd
Okay I just thought of something. I will be filling my complaint with the
NHTSA. Also I was talking with GM to try and work out some kind of deal with thier inferiour parts with the fuel system that fail under 60,000 miles on a 58,000 dollar car. So I just thought isint it funny that my car that I cannot register untill I pass smog check in California, and it wont pass because of a bad fuel leval sender that gereates an error code. The actual emissions of the engine is very low. The lowest of any car I have every owned. So the AQMD and the great state of Cali...makes a law that says I cannot pass smog untill I fix a error code that really has nothing to do with the actual emissins...But it is okay to drive around while spilling fuel out of the gas tank. And GM is not going to do a thing about it. Maybe we all need to file a claim with the AQMD as well.....
This would also be a good argument for getting GM to fix it under the emission warranty. They should be fixing this problem on every single car for free. NHTSA is going to have to open a formal investigation before that happens.

FYI, I don't think epoxy is going to work on that leak. It is under too high of a pressure. You need to replace the fuel pump.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

This would also be a good argument for getting GM to fix it under the emission warranty. They should be fixing this problem on every single car for free. NHTSA is going to have to open a formal investigation before that happens.

FYI, I don't think epoxy is going to work on that leak. It is under too high of a pressure. You need to replace the fuel pump.
I mentioned the emissions warranty - they denied it claiming it didnt count
Old 02-20-2015, 02:19 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Dazz510
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question

Is this gonna sum up to a recall i called gm i made my nhtsa complaint in november. Dealer refuses emission warranty on this it is just ridiculous. What are they gonna do when corvette owners cars start catching fire it was also a known issue with the C5's.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazz510
Is this gonna sum up to a recall i called gm i made my nhtsa complaint in november. Dealer refuses emission warranty on this it is just ridiculous. What are they gonna do when corvette owners cars start catching fire it was also a known issue with the C5's.
The cost to gm would be so great, that theyre holding off as long as possible. That is, until the scenario you posted turn out...

I think the fact that corvette owners are more **** about their cars and arent going to let the car sit with a problem has meant the cars get repaired before those bad situations arise. All it takes is a few inattentive or lazy owners who dont pay as much attention to these problems...
Old 02-24-2015, 05:20 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

There have already been some mysterious unsolved late model Corvette fires with vehicles parked in garages, and one house burned to the ground, resulting in a lawsuit with GM over it. The car was determined to be the cause of the fire, but they never were able to prove exactly how/why it started.

Don't think for one minute that GM doesn't know about this. Why do you think there are three different part number upgrades to the fuel pump.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:13 AM
flyer469
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet I know what the cause of the cracks are. The damn ethanol that they force oil companies to put in their fuel! it wears out plastics that were not designed for it... in 2008, it was not required in all fuels at the time! Blame your government!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:49 PM
ninco
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks RainMan12 for keeping thread alive...

I had this problem for a few weeks and ignored it. A couple of days ago (after reading your thread), I decided to check. Sure enough, my tank was actually wet with gas.
I had already paid to get the tank sensor replaced (roughly $1190 a year ago). I decided to take it to my other mechanic and he quoted me $950 parts and labor.

Saving my receipts (just in case) but I am really leaning on getting rid of the car. Had it for about 3 years now and things like this are starting to wear on me.
When I bought the car used, I was offered an extended warranty, but I declined. Had a REALLY bad experience before and vowed never to purchase an extended car warranty. I accepted the risks and have been paying for it. HOWEVER, I still have about a year left on payments and it gets difficult for these unexpected things, on top of the car payment.

I have a 2008 Z-51 Corvette with a M6, 3LT with Navigation. Car only has 64K miles...
Old 03-06-2015, 04:22 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ninco
Thanks RainMan12 for keeping thread alive...

I had this problem for a few weeks and ignored it. A couple of days ago (after reading your thread), I decided to check. Sure enough, my tank was actually wet with gas.
I had already paid to get the tank sensor replaced (roughly $1190 a year ago). I decided to take it to my other mechanic and he quoted me $950 parts and labor.

Saving my receipts (just in case) but I am really leaning on getting rid of the car. Had it for about 3 years now and things like this are starting to wear on me.
When I bought the car used, I was offered an extended warranty, but I declined. Had a REALLY bad experience before and vowed never to purchase an extended car warranty. I accepted the risks and have been paying for it. HOWEVER, I still have about a year left on payments and it gets difficult for these unexpected things, on top of the car payment.

I have a 2008 Z-51 Corvette with a M6, 3LT with Navigation. Car only has 64K miles...
I used my warranty for the fuel pump,they paid 1500.00 and I paid 700.00 for the repair.The warranty is only for paying a small amount of the repair ,they don't pay for the total on labor and want to use their parts.The warranty is like going to dinner and bringing your own food and having the cook and waiter there just to wait on you.

Last edited by REDC4CORVETTE; 03-06-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:45 PM
flyer469
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at this problem and thinking. Has anyone considered cutting a access hole on the rear deck lid to get easier access to the fuel pump? If i had a bore scope, I would drill a small hole over the pump to see if my idea is doable? Thoughts??
Old 03-07-2015, 12:27 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flyer469
I was looking at this problem and thinking. Has anyone considered cutting a access hole on the rear deck lid to get easier access to the fuel pump? If i had a bore scope, I would drill a small hole over the pump to see if my idea is doable? Thoughts??
That pump is over a foot high and a real tight fit coming out of the tank, it would have to be a really big hole and the pump doesn't even fit the hole when you remove it from the tank hole so it catches on the sides and breaks in almost half.The syphin tube also has to be replaced and that has no access at the bottom of the tank.Nothing is impossiable but you know GM they make everything harder to get at every year so they can make lots of money replacing items that never needed to be replaced before.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
I used my warranty for the fuel pump,they paid 1500.00 and I paid 700.00 for the repair.The warranty is only for paying a small amount of the repair ,they don't pay for the total on labor and want to use their parts.The warranty is like going to dinner and bringing your own food and having the cook and waiter there just to wait on you.
Is that the GMPP extended warranty?

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 03-08-2015, 07:15 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS WON
Is that the GMPP extended warranty?
No the policy was out of Florida and sold to another company. They were fighting to not pay so be careful what you purchase.Check the hourly rate they pay and if they want to use old parts or new when you make a claim.The warranty company's are in business to not pay for a claim so you have to make sure you call the company before you have any repairs done.I worked for 3 diffrent claim companys in my younger years and all of the off brand companys want to keep as much money you paid as posiable.

Last edited by REDC4CORVETTE; 03-08-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:22 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
No the policy was out of Florida and sold to another company. They were fighting to not pay so be careful what you purchase.Check the hourly rate they pay and if they want to use old parts or new when you make a claim.The warranty company's are in business to not pay for a claim so you have to make sure you call the company before you have any repairs done.I worked for 3 diffrent claim companys in my younger years and all of the off brand companys want to keep as much money you paid as posiable.
I had the GMPP extended warranty twice as it goes by age of car if you can get GMPP extended warranty extended. I had no problems with warranty.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Dazz510
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5?

Originally Posted by LS WON
I had the GMPP extended warranty twice as it goes by age of car if you can get GMPP extended warranty extended. I had no problems with warranty.
C5's had a similar issue which was addressed by GM due to a recall. GM should do us all a solid and fix this before our cars start catching fire. The government bailed them out they should bail us out.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *