C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Run-Flat, or NOT To Run-Flat

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:59 PM
ORODz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To Run-Flat, or NOT To Run-Flat

Need to decide soon...Tire wall is cracked on the inside...

I'm hoping to hear good things about non-run-flats....

Besides don't they get changed every year or so....?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 3rd set of tires - original run-flats then two non-runflats. Being that I bought a 2nd set of non-runflats I don't have to say much more. Much quieter, much better ride and cheaper. ****FOR ME**** the potential of actually having a flat or blowout is not significant enough for me to bother. It never crosses my mind. I did buy a small air pump plus a plug kit that's in the back of my car, just in case. For me, going non-runflat means never going back...

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:07 PM
drpepper
Advanced

Originally Posted by supercrewbear
on my 3rd set of tires - original run-flats then two non-runflats. Being that i bought a 2nd set of non-runflats i don't have to say much more. Much quieter, much better ride and cheaper. ****for me**** the potential of actually having a flat or blowout is not significant enough for me to bother. It never crosses my mind. I did buy a small air pump plus a plug kit that's in the back of my car, just in case. For me, going non-runflat means never going back... :d

good luck!
ditto!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have over 17K on a set of Firestone Wide Oval Run Flats and like them very much. Great traction in the wet and not too noisy. Wearing very well too.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I went with Firestone Wide Oval run-flats when my original GY GS-2s wore out. It's a very good tire and rides better than the GY, but I'm hearing very good things about the latest Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP. Paul Koerner, GM World Class Technician, says they're tuned and technically superior in every way compared to the original OEM run-flats.

Of course, if you're determined to go non-run-flat, go ahead. Just remember why you did when you get a flat on a bridge or a secondary road with no shoulder.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I always get run flats because I like the peace of mind that I have with them.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 191 Posts

I am not a fan of run flats but for me the Corvette is a special case. The tires and wheels on my GS are very large and quite heavy so changing them at the roadside is no simple matter and roadside repair and reinflation are often not an option-think major tire damage, no safe place to park, adverse weather and/or poor lighting.

The thought of driving on the wheel (not on my gorgeous rims!) or shredding a tire looking for a safe spot to pull over are unacceptable to me. I have roadside assistance but that doesn't really solve the problem it only gets you to a repair center and what do you do if you are far from home or your flat is after business hours? The thought of a flat on the occasional road trip is also a concern. Run flats also enhance high speed safety because they "fail soft" when punctured. Run flats don't fix the flat but they give you options. Run flats can be rough riding-Magnetic Selective Ride anyone? Run flats cost more and often wear out sooner. As to noise, it is mostly dependent upon keeping the car properly aligned so as to prevent abnormal wear patterns.

Standard tires offer greater selection, smoother ride and a lower price. Standard tires are also available in track only compounds and sizes that are not often found in run flats.

If an on road puncture would put your safety at risk or cause an unacceptable delay in your journey you are a run flat buyer. If none of the issues outlined above are a concern for you get the standard tires and save the money.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 11-17-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ORODz

I say no run flats. After driving 250K miles in my C6 I never had a tire blow out. The only time one was ever low it was just a slow leak so I was able to make it to be fixed. Never any damage to the wheel from the tire being low. It's always the back tires of course. The ones they have to special order and take three days to come in. Luckily all but once I was able to have them repaired.

Of course if you drive a lot in the middle of nowhere you may want to get them.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:57 PM
ORODz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
I am not a fan of run flats but for me the Corvette is a special case. The tires and wheels on my GS are very large and quite heavy so changing them at the roadside is no simple matter and roadside repair and reinflation are often not an option-think major tire damage, no safe place to park, adverse weather and/or poor lighting.

The thought of driving on the wheel (not on my gorgeous rims!) or shredding a tire looking for a safe spot to pull over are unacceptable to me. I have roadside assistance but that doesn't really solve the problem it only gets you to a repair center and what do you do if you are far from home or your flat is after business hours? The thought of a flat on the occasional road trip is also a concern. Run flats also enhance high speed safety because they "fail soft" when punctured. Run flats don't fix the flat but they give you options. Run flats can be rough riding-Magnetic Selective Ride anyone? Run flats cost more and often wear out sooner. As to noise, it is mostly dependent upon keeping the car properly aligned so as to prevent abnormal wear patterns.

Standard tires offer greater selection, smoother ride and a lower price. Standard tires are also available in track only compounds and sizes that are not often found in run flats.

If an on road puncture would put your safety at risk or cause an unacceptable delay in your journey you are a run flat buyer. If none of the issues outlined above are a concern for you get the standard tires and save the money.
Thanks! Run Flats it is!

#1 -- High speed safety
#2 -- The dreaded driving on a flat for a couple of blocks!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 PM
ORODz
Advanced

Originally Posted by janicept
I say no run flats. After driving 250K miles in my C6 I never had a tire blow out. The only time one was ever low it was just a slow leak so I was able to make it to be fixed. Never any damage to the wheel from the tire being low. It's always the back tires of course. The ones they have to special order and take three days to come in. Luckily all but once I was able to have them repaired.

Of course if you drive a lot in the middle of nowhere you may want to get them.
Wow, just when I think I'm good to go....

I haven't had a flat since I was a kid. I just couldn't imagine getting a flat on the way to the keys, and having nowhere to pull over...

Congrats on the 250K+ miles!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My Run Flats have always been there for me
Old 11-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I went with non run flats simple because they are quieter, and ride much better. If I have a flat I'll take care of it one way or another, and they can be patched. If you have a flat in a RF you can drive to a tire shop, but many will not repair them. So, I can't see any difference in the amount of trouble a flat will cause with a Vette. Basically it's a matter of preference for the owner.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:19 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Wow, just when I think I'm good to go....

I haven't had a flat since I was a kid. I just couldn't imagine getting a flat on the way to the keys, and having nowhere to pull over...

Congrats on the 250K+ miles!
Gee, I'm glad I didn't read this post before driving to the Keys, then back to the North East on non run flats, or I may of got nervous....NOT!
Blow-outs are about 1 in a million on these tires, so most times, it's picking up a nail or screw, and the Tire monitoring system will let you know, so there's lot's of time to find a place to pull over and get it patched.
I carry a patch kit, a small air compressor, and a pair of side cutters to pull out a nail or screw.
I've had 2 slow leaks, in 68K miles, and patched them both myself with a patch kit.
One of those was on that trip to the Keys. I got the air warning, pumped up the tire at a coffee shop, and patched it myself at the hotel later that afternoon.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

This is my runflat story, and I would never go to non-runflats.
If you use the car mostly for local trips in nice areas, then non-runflats can be a reasonable choice. Or if you enjoy life on the edge...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...flat-tire.html
Old 11-17-2014, 05:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And that story above is probably the most compelling one favoring a runflat tire for those who travel. Or, for those who travel even local roads where a flat may be a big inconvenience.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:44 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
This is my runflat story, and I would never go to non-runflats.
If you use the car mostly for local trips in nice areas, then non-runflats can be a reasonable choice. Or if you enjoy life on the edge...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...flat-tire.html
Great story, I'm sold on the run-flats
Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

Ditch the run *****. You will be amazed at the increase of comfort, handling and noise when you go to a non run flat tire. Plus you can get very good quality non run flats for a 1/3 of the price of a good quality run flat tire. I have been driving for 46 years and have never been stranded on the side of a road because of a tire blow out. I have had a few slow leaks caused by nails or screws. Just added air and went to a tire shop and had the tire repaired. I drive from Wisconsin to Florida and back twice a year. Never worry about my Continental non run flat tires.

Get notified of new replies

To To Run-Flat, or NOT To Run-Flat

Old 11-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Non run Flats for the track.
Run Flats for daily driving.
That's how I roll.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I've had both RFs and non, and seeing as how I average about a flat a year, no more non RFs for me. I've discovered a couple of nails with no leaks, had blowouts, slow leaks, and super-fast leaks. I've been close to home, and thousands of miles from home.

One of my stories is in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1585522974

On that one, I had just changed out the non RFs 3 days prior to this, in anticipation of a road trip to Florida. Boy, was I glad!

The most recent one was only a month ago (I was only about 80 miles from home). The funny part is that you can never consider yourself immune, even if you have never had a flat in your life. Here's the culprit:
Attached Images  

Last edited by owc6; 11-17-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Suprpig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years in all my vehicles I have used stop leak cans (2), a compressor, and a tire repair leak kit in everything I own. They have served me well! Non Run Flats for me at a substantial savings.

Quick Reply: To Run-Flat, or NOT To Run-Flat