C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clay bar

Teach me how to clay bar new experience to me
Old 11-22-2014, 09:09 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

The main things to remember, is 1. Use plenty of lubricant on the surface area, 2. if you drop the clay on the ground, throw it away and get a new piece, 3. always folded the clay and rework it after you do a section, 4. check each area with the plastic bag before you move on. If you are not sure what the plastic bag test is, that is where you get a small plastic bag such as a zip lock sandwich bag, put your hand in it and lightly run it over the surface and if you feel a rough surface like bumps then you need to clay the car.

Unless you car is extremely contaminated, you should be able to do a Corvette in less then an hour.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Originally Posted by BWF07
The main things to remember, is 1. Use plenty of lubricant on the surface area, 2. if you drop the clay on the ground, throw it away and get a new piece, 3. always folded the clay and rework it after you do a section, 4. check each area with the plastic bag before you move on. If you are not sure what the plastic bag test is, that is where you get a small plastic bag such as a zip lock sandwich bag, put your hand in it and lightly run it over the surface and if you feel a rough surface like bumps then you need to clay the car.

Unless you car is extremely contaminated, you should be able to do a Corvette in less then an hour.
where do I get the clay and what kind of lubricant do I use
Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I suggest you look into this product the "Nano" sponge:

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-spe...nge-combo.html

If dropped just rinse it off unlike the clay bar which should be discarded. You still need a detail spray for lubricity.

Buy online through forum or any good car parts store that has a detail section.

The Nano product may be more difficult to find in most stores. A good detail supply outlet would have it though.

I used the fine grade sponge. I suggest this first before the medium grade.

Do the baggie test. Wash the car and place a sandwich bag over your hand and feel the paint. After claying/nano the paint will be smooth , no little bumps.

Last edited by Boomer111; 11-22-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Jack Forbes
where do I get the clay and what kind of lubricant do I use
Check an automotive store, McGuires sell a kit.

You can also try Zaino
Old 11-22-2014, 09:41 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Sorry, I just assumed you had the clay bar and lubricant already. You can get a clay bar kit at any of the major auto parts stores and it will come with everything you need. I have never used the sponged mention, but I understand it is a great product.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Let us know if you need more help .... and yes there is now detailing clay, cubes and pads.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Even Wal-Mart sells them, just bought a Meguairs kit, $18 includes 2 clay bars, lubricant (water works just as well if you run out)
CLAY BARS ARE THE BIGGEST AND GREATEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD FOR **** CAR OWNERS, CANT IMAGINE NOT HAVING THEM
NSF
Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

The advice in this thread so far is all spot on...but it's really not a big deal. At one point, I thought clay bar was some tool only for the pros (and in reality, it ain't!). Clay barring your car is dead simple, you really can't screw it up. You can pick up a Maguiars kit at Walmart (under $20) and try it today. When I feel like doing it (maybe twice a year), I just make it an extra step in the wash process....wash, blow the water off with a leaf blower, clay bar, lightly wash/rinse again, dry and wax (rejex, or whatever you do).

Once you've done it once or twice, you won't be pulling much stuff out of the paint anymore (at least that's my experience). Maybe a minute or two per panel once you've figured it out (and believe me, you'll have it down in less than a minute).

Before I got the Vette, I was trying all these products out on my old minivan kid hauler. At one point in time, a painter cleaned out his tools in our driveway and left a bunch of micro-splatter paint droplets on one side of the mini van. I could not wash it off no matter much elbow grease I applied, and it sat on the car for several years. I bought some clay bar to try and low and behold, the little tiny paint droplets all just came off with very little effort.

Also, my wife's Flex was delivered with some some rusting particles on the back end on the top of the paint...my assumption was they were iron flecks from rail transport. They weren't washing off, so I took some clay to them as well....and they literally just dissappeared....and that one probably saved the paint for the future.

Good luck...but don't get to hung up on it...it really is dead simple!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Homeboy77
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would just add that you should wash your car, then wash it again, before you clay bar. Any debris on the car will get in the clay and can cause swirls. Therefore, the cleaner, the better. Like dropping the clay on the ground, when you start to see dirt or anything in the clay, throw it away. You only need to use small amounts of clay at a time.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Youtube has lots of instructional videos on clay barring.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

U gonna be a "Smooth Operator" after all this advice LOL. Nothing like a car that is smooth to the touch and I might add to use a quick detailer afterwards, exceptional feeling
NSF PS I think I'll go do mine ha-ha
Old 11-22-2014, 12:47 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

You can substitute the lubricant with a car washing or dishwashing liquid. Fill the bottle 3/4 of the way, then pour in your washing solution and shake. Spray the solution on the car generously, then wipe vigorously with the clay bar. Do small sections at a time. I can clay bar my whole car in less than 15 minutes, not including wash time.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I used Griots garage clay and lube. Use plenty of lube and go slow. Results kick butt, paint is as smooth as it is when it's waxed. Takes a while though.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:01 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

cut small pieces of the clay in ~1" squares and knead them flat to about 3" in diameter or wide enough to fit your four fingers 1st digits. this makes it easy to work with and when (not if) you drop it you wont be loosing the entire bar.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wax on the car needs to be removed first before clay barring. I always wash my car with dawn dish washing soap first.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:32 PM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by needcheese
The wax on the car needs to be removed first before clay barring. I always wash my car with dawn dish washing soap first.

just wondering ... will the clay not remove the wax and what happens if you don't wash with dawn dish soap?

Get notified of new replies

To Clay bar

Old 11-23-2014, 08:14 AM
LTennant
Advanced

Jack I live here in Morgantown and have clayed all my vehicles. Have clay and lubricant and would be glad to help you out. Let me know if I can help. 304 276-1042

Last edited by LTennant; 11-23-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:36 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
cut small pieces of the clay in ~1" squares and knead them flat to about 3" in diameter or wide enough to fit your four fingers 1st digits. this makes it easy to work with and when (not if) you drop it you wont be loosing the entire bar.
I can go even smaller. I kneed the piece to get it warm and then flatten on the windshield with the heal of my hand until about 3" in diameter but as thin as possible. I'm thinking it is usually about 1/8" thick. This is small enough and light enough that it will stick to your fingers and be almost impossible to drop. If you do drop it you have lost just a small piece of a full bar. And the thin piece does the same as a full bar of that size would because it is only the surface that is doing anything. Yes, it will get dirtier faster but you aren't using any more than you would using a larger piece. The thin piece also hugs the surface closer than a stiff thick piece.

Also using a small piece allows you to see how dirty it is getting after kneading by comparing it to the original. When it starts definitely looking a different color, discard it (or save it for your beater).

Finally, use almost no pressure and plenty of lubricant. The sticky clay is grabbing contamination from the surface, not removing scratches or swirl marks. It is slightly abrasive so you just want it to collect the contaminates and not sand the surface.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:40 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I had a white 98 Corvette that had a 1 inch black smudge on the right front fender. I took out some waxes and compounds and the spot would not budge. I then took out a clay bar and low and behold I couldn't believe it. The spot came right out. In some instances these clay bars are unbelievable. I use them on all my vehicles periodically. It is amazing how much a car can be detailed with the correct products.

Quick Reply: Clay bar