C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended tires for C6

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 AM
BurgundyVette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recommended tires for C6

Need new tires. Don't like the goodyears. Any recommendations?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgundyVette
Need new tires. Don't like the goodyears. Any recommendations?
Nitto Invo's....non-RF....great traction; much quieter & softer ride than GY's; much less expensive than Michelin's. I carry a plug kit & small 12v inflator, but never have had to use them.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP Runflat. I replaced my Goodyears at 4k miles. Have 16k miles on the A/S plus's. Use my car as a DD, 2 hrs commute a day, all year round. I'll never look for another tire, and I easily have another 10-20K left on these.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NOT Goodyear.
Lots of folks on this forum say that Firestone RF's are the best bang for the buck.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Wakemaker89
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bridgeston Potenza RE050a's and RE-11's are both excellent as well and are much cheaper than the Michelin's
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
BobMercer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 16,400 miles I removed the horribly noisy, half worn Goodyears from my '12 Coupe and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP Runflats. Nothing less than AWESOME. I got my new car back and better than ever. Dramatically quieter and better handling. The Goodyears had gotten so noisy that driving was no longer enjoyable, and I had installed noise deadening material. May not be the cheapest tires, but highly effective.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hankook Ventus Evo Run Flats.

Great traction. Much quieter and much better ride than GoodYears.

Also, I don't have to carry a tire plug kit and a 12 volt portable air compressor, nor sit on the side of the road to use them...because they're run flats.

Hankooks are high quality tires (Hankooks are the original equipment tires on Mercedes-Benz S-Class cars and BMW 3 Series cars), thus it's somewhat surprising that they also have a good price point.

Regards,
-Ward
Old 11-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Vettereturned
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakemaker89
Bridgeston Potenza RE050a's and RE-11's are both excellent as well and are much cheaper than the Michelin's
Old 11-24-2014, 02:12 PM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BSE1956
NOT Goodyear.
Lots of folks on this forum say that Firestone RF's are the best bang for the buck.
I have the Firestones on mine for the last 4 yr's and 28,500 miles and they are now just getting a bit noisy and losing some dry traction. I believe it's because of the rubber getting hard from age and the Arizona sun and heat. When it's time for replacement they are on the top of my list.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I too have Firestone run-flats. They have a good ride and very good traction, wet and dry. I think, however, my next set of summer tires will be Michelins. In fact, when my Pirelli winter tires wear out I think I'll replace them with Michelin A/S since they're run-flats too.

The Pirellis have great traction, but they're not run-flats. When they were just three weeks old I had one almost grenade when it found a HUGE water-filled pothole. That ripped a four inch hole in the sidewall. Luckily I was only five blocks from the storage locker where I kept my Omega jack and summer wheels/tires. "Friend with truck" is good to have.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Always have trouble understanding why people complain about tire noise on a sports car that is basically noisy as a whole anyway. I mean really.....did anyone test drive their Corvette and say...."man that's a noisy car" and I don't like it. Kinda like complaining about a rough ride in a sports car.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:03 PM
BobMercer
Advanced

windyC6,

Why belittle someone who makes an observation about how tire noise has increased over time to the point where the whine becomes punishing? To point out that the purchase of a different brand alleviates the scream and improves the handling as well is just sharing a person's experience for the benefit of others.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BobMercer
windyC6,

Why belittle someone who makes an observation about how tire noise has increased over time to the point where the whine becomes punishing? To point out that the purchase of a different brand alleviates the scream and improves the handling as well is just sharing a person's experience for the benefit of others.
Mercer....this post is a joke...right ? I was simply "Sharing my experience" in wondering why people worry so much about how noisy the tires on a car that is suppose to let you "Feel the road" so-to-speak. If that's personally belittling someone...well....I think there may be a little too much sensitivity going on around here. Really.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

BFG G-FORCE KDW. I love em'. I don't know how they handle in the wet because I don't drive in the rain. They are only driven on dry warm days and they handle corners great and stick the best they can. Tread is cool too.

Last edited by Mr.Nubain; 11-24-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Strid56
Heel & Toe

I just replaced the goodyears with firestone firehawk wide ovals rft's what a difference. Havent put many miles yet but so far so good...
Old 11-24-2014, 08:43 PM
LedZepper
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP Runflat. I replaced my Goodyears at 4k miles. Have 16k miles on the A/S plus's. Use my car as a DD, 2 hrs commute a day, all year round. I'll never look for another tire, and I easily have another 10-20K left on these.
An excellent tire ... If you can find them. If you're ok with non run flats, the Michelin A/S 3 is also terrific.

I've had both of these. They're low-noise and handle great year-round whether it's dry, wet or cold.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:50 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I also have the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFTs on my '08. After 17,000 miles they are half worn and still quiet, grip well both wet and dry and provide a smooth, straight and true ride; no wandering or riding grooves in the road surface. My second set; really like them and great price.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended tires for C6

Old 11-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

[QUOTE=windyC6;1588335531]Always have trouble understanding why people complain about tire noise on a sports car that is basically noisy as a whole anyway. I mean really.....did anyone test drive their Corvette and say...."man that's a noisy car" and I don't like it. Kinda like complaining about a rough ride in a sports car.[/QUOTE

People are complaining about Goodyear's road grain noise that becomes progressively worse as mileage increases. Also, traction on acceleration decreases as mileage increases. At 16,000 miles I had enough of the road grain noise and traction issues. I purchased a set of Michelin PS2 ZP's which improved every aspect in ride, comfort, road noise, handling wet or dry and lasted 30K plus mileage. I am now on my second set of PS2 ZP's, if the Michelin Super Sport ZP's were available at the time of my tire purchase I would of chose them. They are an upgrade from the PS2's.

I prefer listening to the engine, exhaust or stereo cruising down the highway without having road grain as white noise!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=Mike's LS3;1588340258]
Originally Posted by windyC6
Always have trouble understanding why people complain about tire noise on a sports car that is basically noisy as a whole anyway. I mean really.....did anyone test drive their Corvette and say...."man that's a noisy car" and I don't like it. Kinda like complaining about a rough ride in a sports car.[/QUOTE

People are complaining about Goodyear's road grain noise that becomes progressively worse as mileage increases. Also, traction on acceleration decreases as mileage increases. At 16,000 miles I had enough of the road grain noise and traction issues. I purchased a set of Michelin PS2 ZP's which improved every aspect in ride, comfort, road noise, handling wet or dry and lasted 30K plus mileage. I am now on my second set of PS2 ZP's, if the Michelin Super Sport ZP's were available at the time of my tire purchase I would of chose them. They are an upgrade from the PS2's.

I prefer listening to the engine, exhaust or stereo cruising down the highway without having road grain as white noise!

A-men, brother!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 AM
jnguyenn16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions and I love them! Great grip, cornering is a breeze and so far very limited wheelspin from a dig

Quick Reply: Recommended tires for C6