C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why keep traction control and active handling on !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 PM
quadblackC6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why keep traction control and active handling on !!!

LoL

Anyone on the forum, starring in this movie?

Watch "CORVETTE CRASHES COMPLIATION" on YouTube
CORVETTE CRASHES COMPLIATION:
Old 11-25-2014, 07:10 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

every one of these was operator error.classic oversteer.why keep it on?maybe they all had it shut off.it is their to help you,not made to be idiot proof.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:12 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

If you don't respect them they will get away from you before you know it. everyone thinks that they know how to handle it. I am not 100% sure, but I would say the the majority of these were from owners of a first time high performance car and wanting to show off. Sure lets just keep building them with more and more power.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
If you don't respect them they will get away from you before you know it. everyone thinks that they know how to handle it. I am not 100% sure, but I would say the the majority of these were from owners of a first time high performance car and wanting to show off. Sure lets just keep building them with more and more power.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I feel sick after watching that. It is a good reminder just how quick they can jump out from under you.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The driver of the blue C5 at 6 minutes is totally brainless behind the wheel.

He had like three chances to wise up and still screwed the pooch.

So many compounded their poor driving with more poor driving, no respect.

Mostly just a bunch of brainless male wannabes.

Should be required viewing when taking a drivers test. I really think people do not understand what can and does happen with powerful cars.

Why else would this happen.

Take it slow guys learn to crawl before walking and running.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:38 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Notice how old most of them were? I agree likly their first fast car.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:55 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Most of them Hot ******* in front of a crowd and I suspect low average IQ as well...
Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Robs 1988
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 42Chevy
It is a good reminder just how quick they can jump out from under you.

It's also another reason I don't race people with mine. I trust myself driving my car, but I'm never certain about the other person driving theirs.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Enterprisehunter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Almost looks like most of them were texting and driving????? I have been driving at excessive speeds (got over 100 tickets one year- I have not had 1 in over 15 years) since I was 16 (almost 50 now), never had anything close to those type accidents. They drove right into other drivers??? Bunch of bone heads! Respect driving, PERIOD.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:10 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Should be a sticky..treat these cars with respect.
Also another reason I never take trac control off or race.. Majority know a vette is fast! Nothing to prove street racing.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Couldn't get past that f**king idiot smacking his gum like a cow chewing its cud. What, is he a 13 year old chick trying out for cheerleading?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I respect my C6. I understand how to control it. But that is because I learned how to drive it. I have tons of track time and won a national championship with NASA. If I'm just cruising traction control is on. But when I drive spiritedly it's totally off. As a side note, I don't drive on the street like I do on the track. To me my C6 is totally predictable. I just think you need to be ready, stay ahead of your car and understand what may come next. If you don't, leave traction control on.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:51 AM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stupidity like that will cost you...sometimes big money and sometimes your life.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 AM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe all these guys rolling into the throttle w/ the car not being straight.

And who the hell wants to look at this crap anyway?
Old 11-26-2014, 03:05 PM
brywood
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 42Chevy
I feel sick after watching that. It is a good reminder just how quick they can jump out from under you.

Man, no way I would wish that on anyone.....was it me or most if not all of those seem like manuals, not automatics?

If you feel like going out for a spirited drive, watch that video first!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I for one & like many on this forum - have been driving cars with more horsepower than the wheels could handle - since the 70's!
With no traction control available & no ABS - you quickly learned how to bring the back end around where it belonged...lol.
Not saying I am that good - but know enough to be wary of this kind of problem.
For all you nubees out there - cancel out the nannies - & have some fun & really learn how to drive!

Get notified of new replies

To why keep traction control and active handling on !!!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Even the nannies came be overcome by stupid driving. They all work within the laws of physics so when drivers purposely exceed the laws there is no way they can help. Remember once a tire loses grip it loses grip in all directions thus there is no lateral grip. A lot of this is due to people not understanding how to drive a car with a limited slip rear end. Once the diff locks both rear wheels are spinning and you lose all directional control. This is different than the vast majority of other cars they drive. If their daily drivers are FWD the reactions are exactly opposite what a rear wheel drive car will be when the throttle is floored with the front of the car understeering and maybe not even moving because the inside front wheel is burning away. When the throttle is floored in a RWD car with an open diff one wheel will break loose and start to spin while the other tire barely moves and has plenty of lateral traction. Any sideways movement is easily managed since one side of the car still has traction. With a limited slip diff and two spinning tires there is no lateral traction and keeping the car straight depends on the driver modulating the throttle and steering wheel in a delicate balancing act. Throw in a little thing like gravity affecting the car due to slight changes in surface slope and the car will go in the direction of the applied force. The only to get it back under control is to regain rear traction by reducing throttle.

If they spent more time driving in snow and ice at highway speeds they would have a much better feel for how to handle the car.

Bill
Old 11-26-2014, 06:19 PM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Even the nannies came be overcome by stupid driving. They all work within the laws of physics so when drivers purposely exceed the laws there is no way they can help. Remember once a tire loses grip it loses grip in all directions thus there is no lateral grip. A lot of this is due to people not understanding how to drive a car with a limited slip rear end. Once the diff locks both rear wheels are spinning and you lose all directional control. This is different than the vast majority of other cars they drive. If their daily drivers are FWD the reactions are exactly opposite what a rear wheel drive car will be when the throttle is floored with the front of the car understeering and maybe not even moving because the inside front wheel is burning away. When the throttle is floored in a RWD car with an open diff one wheel will break loose and start to spin while the other tire barely moves and has plenty of lateral traction. Any sideways movement is easily managed since one side of the car still has traction. With a limited slip diff and two spinning tires there is no lateral traction and keeping the car straight depends on the driver modulating the throttle and steering wheel in a delicate balancing act. Throw in a little thing like gravity affecting the car due to slight changes in surface slope and the car will go in the direction of the applied force. The only to get it back under control is to regain rear traction by reducing throttle.

If they spent more time driving in snow and ice at highway speeds they would have a much better feel for how to handle the car.

Bill
Nice write up Bill. Best explanation I have read. Hopefully people can put it to good use and not put so many vettes in the body shop.. Or worse.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Physics? No one told me I old need this after high school, lol.
Good analysis Bill, hope the message gets heard.

Quick Reply: why keep traction control and active handling on !!!