C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 corvette steering wheel conversion horn wont work!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:37 PM
jsc62006
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 corvette steering wheel conversion horn wont work!?

Hey, guys today i bought a 2012 corvette steering wheel, after the conversion the horn wont work, when i arm the car alarm it works, but when i press the horn it don't work, i noticed the harness from the steering wheel isn't the same as the one from the SIR coil, so i went and took the harness from the old steering wheel and put it in the new steering wheel, and plugged everything in properly but the horn wont work. if anyone here has or had the same problem, your help is greatly appreciated. take care guys
Old 11-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jsc62006
Hey, guys today i bought a 2012 corvette steering wheel, after the conversion the horn wont work, when i arm the car alarm it works, but when i press the horn it don't work, i noticed the harness from the steering wheel isn't the same as the one from the SIR coil, so i went and took the harness from the old steering wheel and put it in the new steering wheel, and plugged everything in properly but the horn wont work. if anyone here has or had the same problem, your help is greatly appreciated. take care guys
I didn't sell you the steering wheel, hehe! At any rate, yes you need a new steering wheel coil. I can help you out with that.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 11-27-2014, 12:30 PM
jsc62006
Advanced

Default sir coil

[QUOTE=Gene Culley;1588358479]I didn't sell you the steering wheel, hehe! At any rate, yes you need a new steering wheel coil. I can help you out with that.[/QUOT

can i use the same airbag from 2006? or do i need to go with a newer one from 2012-13 as well? plus this doesn't make any sense, after swapping the harness from my old steering wheel, i can't see why this wouldn't work just the same, the only thing that i can't use will be the buttons on the steering wheel, which doesn't bother me. does this make any sense to you? so why would i need a sir coil? (just asking)

Thanks for replying.

John.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

[QUOTE=jsc62006;1588358554]
Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I didn't sell you the steering wheel, hehe! At any rate, yes you need a new steering wheel coil. I can help you out with that.[/QUOT

can i use the same airbag from 2006? or do i need to go with a newer one from 2012-13 as well? plus this doesn't make any sense, after swapping the harness from my old steering wheel, i can't see why this wouldn't work just the same, the only thing that i can't use will be the buttons on the steering wheel, which doesn't bother me. does this make any sense to you? so why would i need a sir coil? (just asking)

Thanks for replying.

John.
When you upgrade to a 2008 and newer wheel you need the wheel and clock spring only. It is possible you could have damaged your clock spring wiring. No airbag is needed, but you could have damaged something to do with that as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:45 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

do a thread search on the swap. Helped a lot when I did my wheel swap on my old "05 back a few years ago.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:59 PM
jsc62006
Advanced

Default steering wheel

Originally Posted by AimHigh
do a thread search on the swap. Helped a lot when I did my wheel swap on my old "05 back a few years ago.
I did, i even talked to Dennis over at Double D mods. even he said its weird. i took the old harness in installed it on the new wheel because of the connector issue, after doing all that, i plugged in together put the airbag back on, but no horn sound. anyhow, ill keep looking to see what i can find out. thanks for replying my friend

take care.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Slick 6MT
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Any updates?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:51 PM
jsc62006
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slick 6MT
Any updates?
As a matter of fact yes!!! All I did is swap out the harness along with the plastic housing connectors and installed it on the new steering wheel to plug into the SIR coil. Everything works great. No SIR coil swap no new airbag. Sorry I should of posted the swap earlier. Thanks for reminding me. I did take pics and I will explain everything I did to help out others.

Merry x mas slick
Old 12-17-2014, 03:49 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jsc62006
As a matter of fact yes!!! All I did is swap out the harness along with the plastic housing connectors and installed it on the new steering wheel to plug into the SIR coil. Everything works great. No SIR coil swap no new airbag. Sorry I should of posted the swap earlier. Thanks for reminding me. I did take pics and I will explain everything I did to help out others.

Merry x mas slick
glad you got it sorted.
will you be posting the pics along with the steps?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:53 PM
jsc62006
Advanced

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
glad you got it sorted.
will you be posting the pics along with the steps?
Yes I will be posting pics as well.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 corvette steering wheel conversion horn wont work!?

Quick Reply: 2006 corvette steering wheel conversion horn wont work!?