C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Paint Protection... Cleartastic or Invisible Mask?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Clear Paint Protection... Cleartastic or Invisible Mask?

HI all!
Just bought my 07 Z06 Atomic w 12K miles and couldn't be happier!

I did a few searches but couldn't find what I was looking for. Where I live they tar and chipped the road a few months ago, but clearly they laid too much gravel and the tires just grab that stuff and throw it all down the side once I get rolling good, despite my best efforts to expel them first. I can't get it out of the neighborhood without fixing this NOW!!! The sides of the car are a must, but I think I will do the front as well.

I like to buy something quick so I can drive this thing again... I was looking at the cleartastic kit that is on their website #153-Z06 $169. Or the Invisible Mask #Chev-1576, Chev-1586, for $321. Or the installed 3M for over $500, I think.

But, should I spend the money on the 3M PRO? I'd prefer to install it myself, and like the idea of not having to take it somewhere to be installed, but any advice is apprec. BTW, I will have this car a long time.

Are there any deals today that anyone knows about? Where to buy? Coupon Codes???

Thanks, Rick
Old 11-28-2014, 11:18 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

I was hoping someone had a quick opinion. Wanted to order today for the sales. Its down to the Cleartastic or the Invisible Mask.... pricing is similar, just wondering which product holds up and looks the best?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

If I were you, I would use a permanent type clear covering, yeah expensive but buying a good product with up to a ten year warranty is worth it, IMO
The cleartastic is a DIY and clings on with static, and can be removed and reinstalled. I have worked with this stuff on motorcycles and works well, certainly not as durable as like a 3m product.

BTW, I would not recommend to try doing a 3m type film yourself, unless you covering a perfectly flat surface. I've done motorcycle front fairings that have compound curves, and it's very difficult to get right.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:46 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by extrapilot
If I were you, I would use a permanent type clear covering, yeah expensive but buying a good product with up to a ten year warranty is worth it, IMO
The cleartastic is a DIY and clings on with static, and can be removed and reinstalled. I have worked with this stuff on motorcycles and works well, certainly not as durable as like a 3m product.

BTW, I would not recommend to try doing a 3m type film yourself, unless you covering a perfectly flat surface. I've done motorcycle front fairings that have compound curves, and it's very difficult to get right.
Thanks! I actually just ruled out the Cleartastic and was looking at the 3M Invisible Mask like you said. According to the website, the Venture and 3M Pro are DIY, but I am waiting to speak to someone regarding the difficulty of applying it. It does say that the standard 3M is NOT DIY. I agree how it may be difficult to get correct, but I am looking at just the wheel skirts and rockers for now which are flat. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:59 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

There are plenty of videos on You tube showing how to do clear coverings, just to get a idea on the process. The rockers should not be to bad to do yourself.

GL
Old 11-28-2014, 12:12 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Thanks. was just watching. Very good info, esp the one from INTERWEST the 3M distributor .

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Paint Protection... Cleartastic or Invisible Mask?

Quick Reply: Clear Paint Protection... Cleartastic or Invisible Mask?