C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I wore my Front Michelin PS ZP's

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:47 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default So I wore my Front Michelin PS ZP's

slap down to nothing, could have passed for race slicks.

Just aligned and inspected 6 weeks ago. Had about 4/32s left. Been gone on the road for weeks and came home Wednesday. Noticed the car wasn't tracking well and was quite noisy on the way home and saw why.

I put almost exactly 20000 miles on them. The rears still have 6/32's and look great. I guess the last 4/32 burn off quickly.

Great tires and ordered fronts again this afternoon.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring

Just aligned and inspected 6 weeks ago. Had about 4/32s left. Been gone on the road for weeks and came home Wednesday. Noticed the car wasn't tracking well and was quite noisy on the way home and saw why.

I put almost exactly 20000 miles on them. The rears still have 6/32's and look great. I guess the last 4/32 burn off quickly.

Even with a "perfect" alignment, do you think it is possible to match the wear of the rears? I have my doubts.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:10 PM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Even with a "perfect" alignment, do you think it is possible to match the wear of the rears? I have my doubts.
I'm thinking absolutely not. On my Grand Sport, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the front wore out in 1/2 the time of the rears.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Interesting. I ALWAYS wear out my rears before the fronts. No matter what tires, no matter what vehicle.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

It does suck when you can only get about 20,000 out of them. It is time for me to replace the GY's that have 22,000 on them.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Fili
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 GS and changed my rear at 30k and the front ones at 36k (not a smart idea not to do it simultaneously) I would agree there's maybe something else involved in the discrepancy of wear .......
Old 11-28-2014, 07:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

As our resident tire expert, "wolfdogs" (Ken) used to say, it depends on many factors including the very makeup of the roadbed itself which differs from area to area. I'm at about 20K miles on the full set of same tires as RLSebring. Wear is quite even, front to back. I do get alignments at least once or more per year, but we will see just how long they last. I also check them from time to time, both with a pressure gauge and a tread depth gauge (the last-mentioned cost all of $1.50 ).
Old 11-28-2014, 07:28 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
As our resident tire expert, "wolfdogs" (Ken) used to say, it depends on many factors including the very makeup of the roadbed itself which differs from area to area. I'm at about 20K miles on the full set of same tires as RLSebring. Wear is quite even, front to back. I do get alignments at least once or more per year, but we will see just how long they last. I also check them from time to time, both with a pressure gauge and a tread depth gauge (the last-mentioned cost all of $1.50 ).
^^^ this! Use of chip-seal type pavement is starting to reek havoc with tire wear. I got 18k out of the OEM GY's but am sitting with 32k on the FS WO's and wear is even side to side and front to back. Street alignment at least once a year, 32psi front and 30psi rear. Yeah I know, slow driver and old man attitude
Old 11-28-2014, 10:00 PM
wwwFLA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Much better than the GY run craps, they are only good for about 8 k on the front. No wonder Corvette went to Michelin for the C7. Complaints were everywhere.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:57 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Michelin knows the Corvette. The regular warranty is 40000 but because these can't be rotated it cuts the warranty in half to 20000.

I was just surprised the last of the thread wore off so quick. I align 2 maybe 3 times per year. I'm on the road a lot and constantly checking air pressure.

Doubt I could have did anything different to get any more miles out of them.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake.Oiler
Interesting. I ALWAYS wear out my rears before the fronts. No matter what tires, no matter what vehicle.
My experience with my GS on GY's is the fronts wear faster than the rears. Even with the Pfadt standard settings, the insides of my fronts wore right down to the bones, with the rears @ 4/32" on 17k miles. I'm easy on tires, though.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Michelin knows the Corvette. The regular warranty is 40000 but because these can't be rotated it cuts the warranty in half to 20000.

I was just surprised the last of the thread wore off so quick. I align 2 maybe 3 times per year. I'm on the road a lot and constantly checking air pressure.

Doubt I could have did anything different to get any more miles out of them.
Based on how you take care of your tires, I doubt you could have done anything else, too. For whatever reason, that's the best you could get in your area or where you were driving. (I guess they call it "max performance" for a reason, but it doesn't include "max life" in that title.)
Old 11-29-2014, 02:58 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

M/C tires on my Harley,I was lucky to get 6000 miles on them. So 20,000 or more on a performance car is not to bad,IMO. I run 3psi above recommended and I'm achieving pretty even wear, with no adverse handling in wet weather. I use nitrogen in tires more for corrosion protection to inside of rims an hopefully help eliminate problems with tpms. Most home garage air compressors do not supply dry air, I think you would be surprised how much water you are putting in your tire. So a trip to CJ'S tire and auto and a free adjustment works for me
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To So I wore my Front Michelin PS ZP's

Quick Reply: So I wore my Front Michelin PS ZP's