C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery ..Due to Onstar

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 AM
shawnaj7731
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery ..Due to Onstar

So Guys, Here is the story...2 weeks ago me and my son were driving and he hits the non activated On star button on the mirror it goes off blah blah he wanted to see what it did. I parked the car and don't drive it for 1 week. Go to start it dead battery! I just replaced the battery 1 month prior no issue everything was golden.

So I thought I accidently left it not in reverse, Its a 2005. So I jumped it and everything is normal, I drive all day and park it. Crappy weather so, I drove my truck for next 2 days. So its nice out now so I go start it and its dead WTF. So I said maybe the Cold weather efffed the battery up so I bring it back and get another. The battery tested good but drained to 1.5 volts.

So I Put the new one in drive it 3 hours and shut her down and next morning its dead again. So now I know I got issue. I couldn't find anything that I would suspect as a problem. So I seen someone posted on Google search they had a similar issue and it end up being the OnStar that was not active he pulled the fuse going to it and fixed it all. So I said wth let me try this. I checked everything parasitic loss etc but my fluke 115 doesn't go to Milli Amps. So I couldn't get the amp draw checked that night. Long story short is that the problem is the OnStar was causing the issue. I pulled the fuse to it on the inside of the passenger side fuse compartment and the car is fine again since onstar is not active I don't care.

I went and got a new meter with milli amps and was able to check the parasitic loss and she is golden.

Last edited by shawnaj7731; 12-05-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Great outcome.

Prior to button being pressed the car was fine, wondering if the OS switch was toggled 'on', maybe it could be toggled 'off' again?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:32 AM
shawnaj7731
Pro

I am not sure. I pushed the button and everything to see if it was depressed in and etc, nope it has something to do with the system itself I guess. The funny thing is my voltage has always read 13.3 to 13.7 now that I took that fuse out the voltage is reading 14.1 to 14.4. I also just completed the Big 3 wire upgrade today also so maybe that helped out too.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:41 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 163 Posts

I think Landru was thinking the On-Star button toggled something on the computer or activated something on the computer and it never turned off. About the only way to reset it would have been to disconnect the battery but you already did that when you replaced it the second time. Now that you found the problem, this would be one for the dealer to troubleshoot as there may be codes set someplace.

What is the Big 3 wire upgrade?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:46 AM
shawnaj7731
Pro

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ade-on-c5.html

Its helps with charging system like a supplement to the existing wiring for the charging system. This is usually done when people use a larger stereo system but its just helps over all with the system. Check the link out.

I would of brought it to the dealer if it was under warranty but I am not paying stealership prices to trouble shoot they stick it to you with No grease in your six and not think twice about it. So I figured I post it here to help others out as it may or may not be there issue.

Last edited by shawnaj7731; 12-05-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Exact same problem I had with my 2011 GS.

I pulled the OnStar fuse, and now the battery don't go dead anymore after the car has been setting for a couple of days.

Here is a link to my troubleshooting of this electrical parasitic draw problem I had with my car:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ead-again.html
Old 12-10-2014, 04:54 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Interesting. I am subscribed to OnStar and have no issues with any draw from that circuit that deadens the battery. I've had my car sitting for 2 weeks without a start, and no issues at all.

I'm glad that you were able to trace the problem.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:04 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Interesting. I am subscribed to OnStar and have no issues with any draw from that circuit that deadens the battery. I've had my car sitting for 2 weeks without a start, and no issues at all.

I'm glad that you were able to trace the problem.
This issue is the owners were NOT subscribed to OnStar. Pushing the OnStar button on an unsubscribed system produced the current drain. Disconnecting the battery did not remedy the problem.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I don't think it's OnStar as a company that is causing the problem (by somehow using too much electrical current when checking on your car when it's not in use) ... I think it is a shorting malfunction in the OnStar Module (VCIM) that causes the battery drain while the car is off.

And the only real fix is to replace the malfunctioning VCIM .... or if your cheap like me, just pull the OnStar fuse (works great as long as you don't need OnStar or the car's internal OnStar phone)

BTW ... My car never had this problem before (when I was subscribed to OnStar and even when I was not subscribed) .... This malfunction in the OnStar VCIM just appeared a couple of weeks ago ... obviously an electrical shorting somehow in the VCIM module.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 12-10-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery ..Due to Onstar

Quick Reply: Dead Battery ..Due to Onstar