C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing runflats with non-run flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:57 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Mixing runflats with non-run flats

Getting ready to replace my front tires. Rears still have lots of miles left on them. Has anyone here ever mixed non-run-flats with run-flats?

I currently have run flats on the car, and think I want to change over to non-runflats, so I'd like to mount some non-runflats on the front.

Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2014, 01:00 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've got non run flats on the front and run flats on the back with no ill effects.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Getting ready to do the same thing.

I pulled off the OEM run-flat tires off my GS when it was new.

Put Nitto Invo (non RF) on the car.

The rear tires are now getting bald, so I am going to put the OEM rear tires (run-flats) back on it and leave the Nitto's (non RF) on the front.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:32 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

How do you like the Nitto Invo's?
Old 12-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The Nitto 'Invo' is a pretty good tire for the price.

Cheapest deal on GS / Z06 sized tires right now is a set of (4) Cooper Zeon RS3-S for $662 + $51 shipping (to Florida)

TreadDepot
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM
mysloride
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
The Nitto 'Invo' is a pretty good tire for the price.

Cheapest deal on GS / Z06 sized tires right now is a set of (4) Cooper Zeon RS3-S for $662 + $51 shipping (to Florida)

TreadDepot
Guy's,

I ran two different sets of Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires on my SRT8's and had terrible issues from both sets. They would not stay in balance and I had both cars 4-wheel aligned and re-balanced and it made no difference.

If you push your car hard at all...IMO do not buy Cooper tires for performance cars
Old 12-08-2014, 02:25 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

I'm not able to find the Nitto Invo's online. Where do you buy them from?
Old 12-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I've got non run flats on the front and run flats on the back with no ill effects.
Have you pushed it really hard in curves? I would think the flex in the sidewalls would cause some issues, but I have no personal experience to base it on.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You will always be told not to mix tires. You will also be told to replace all the tires at once. Your handling can be affected. The traction is different between brands and tires lose grip with age.

I've driven with runflats on the front and standard tires on the rear without issue but that was just temporary.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:57 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by MARSC6
You will always be told not to mix tires. You will also be told to replace all the tires at once. Your handling can be affected. The traction is different between brands and tires lose grip with age.

I've driven with runflats on the front and standard tires on the rear without issue but that was just temporary.
yea, and the folks that always will tell you this are the ones working behind the counter at the tire store trying to sell you tires.

I've always heard all these warning about not mixing brands, and types, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem doing it. So color me skeptical.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You could put a different make of tire at each corner of the car and if you just went straight on the freeway and drove around a city at 35 mph, there would be no problems at all. But, what I would worry about is the one time in a million when some big piece of something falls off a truck in front of you at 75 mph on the highway and you need to make a very serious emergency maneuver...how will the car behave? If it is a question of avoiding a deer in the road or a kid on a bicycle...how will the car behave? As with so many situations on this forum, there are lots of people who have done things that are generally not recommended and "never had a problem". I would suggest keeping that 'one in a million' situation in mind.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CSixDude
yea, and the folks that always will tell you this are the ones working behind the counter at the tire store trying to sell you tires.

I've always heard all these warning about not mixing brands, and types, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem doing it. So color me skeptical.
Actually, we did have someone post here a year or so ago, that with mixed tires on his car it was unstable just driving down the road. Don't recall what combination he had.

The problem with mixed tires is that they can seem fine under normal driving conditions but suddenly bite you in the butt if you start having fun or need to do an emergency escape maneuver.

I recall being up at Road America a few years ago and looking at a nice M3, driven by an instructor, that was totaled when his mixed tires produced sudden breakaway oversteer. He said it was fine just driving up there. But suddenly...

Also, the used rear tires will certainly have less tread than new fronts, so handling in the rain could get dicey.

If OP's rear tires are really that good, just get another set of identical fronts and replace all of them at once, next time around.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Have you pushed it really hard in curves? I would think the flex in the sidewalls would cause some issues, but I have no personal experience to base it on.
I haven't noticed anything strange. I plan on getting the same tire all around here pretty quick.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I ran 2 Auto-x days in my BMW 135 with runflats in front, non in the rear. Car actually handled great on the edge, I was really careful at first but after a couple of runs I really pushed it.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Cost of owning a vehicle comes responsibity for proper maintance. Mixing tires on a performance car is a poor action. Ya you can do it and drive the car around like a 61 Cadalliac but to use the car for performance your asking for variables to come into play that may be uncontrolled.

I would recommended biting the bullet and replacing all four corners with your preferred tire.

Different compounds and traction elements will cause the car to handle differently in the turns when pushed without doubt.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I got my Nitto Invo's from Discount Tire.

I ran them on the rear with Michellin PS ZP's (runflats) on the front.

At the limits of handling the fronts would 'let go' before the rears producing an easily controlled bit of under-steer. IMO if you have the runflats on the rear only, handling may be more unpredictable and the resulting over-steer condition might be harder to catch.

In 'normal' spirited street driving you should be okay with the tire mix, but obviously it's not optimum.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:33 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Amazon has lots of them in different sizes.

Get notified of new replies

To Mixing runflats with non-run flats

Quick Reply: Mixing runflats with non-run flats