C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam & Headers vs Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:40 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Cam & Headers vs Supercharger

Hey gang!

There are various threads on this subject, but I haven't found details on what is meant by "driveability" when adding Cam and Heads. Also read it affects MPG.

Can someone please explain how the car behaves after a Cam & Heads mod vs. a Supercharger? Does it ride differently? Rougher/Not as smooth? Does the MPG really drop significantly?

I think everyone agrees that the Cams definitely sound a lot better unless you just really like the whir/whine a SC makes....but I'm more interested in performance and every day changes I can expect.

I use mine as a daily driver. I have Billy Boat exhaust and it is already pretty loud. I don't mind since it is pretty fun to drive. After reading some stuff here though, I wasn't expecting anything to change after upgrades other than more power and different sound. What other changes can one expect?
Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM
ksurfer2
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just went through the same decision making process. In the end I opted for a cam and headers. My car is a 12 GS with a M6 transmission. I opted for the cam/headers combo for a couple of reasons. First was cost, I ended up a bout $1,000 less installed and out the door than a SC setup would have cost. Second, heat. I live in FL and am interested in doing some HPDE events and the shop I worked with had some concerns about heat soak for extended track sessions, also I wanted to keep highflow cats and was concerned about melting them. Third was power. My car came out of the shop with 490 rwhp....how much more do I really need?!?!? And last was sound...you just can't beat the chop of a nicely cammed car!

Drivability has been slightly affected. There is a little cam surge at low RPM's, but with a manual transmission it is easy enough to drive around.

I have not checked to see what effect there has been on gas mileage. This is not a daily driver for me.....if I'm worried about mileage, I'll take my Jetta!

I am sure there will be plenty of posts as to why the owners went with a SC, but this was my rationale with a cam and headers and I could not be happier!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:07 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Hmm, all makes sense to me. I have a 12 Base Manual myself so it's pretty close to your set up. And I do plan on taking it on the track, but with an instructor on the passenger side...not all out.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:16 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I went with the blower specifically so I didn't have to deal with any drivability issues. Car makes 600RWHP and drives like stock at part throttle. Push the pedal all the way down and it's a whole different car and struggles for grip. As for heat, I went with the A&A with the Dewitts radiator with integrated oil cooler (to replace the factory GS oil cooler) and my coolant and oil temps are exactly what they were before the blower when doing normal driving (and this is in Texas). If you're going to do a lot of roadcourse track days, I'd probably point you towards cam/heads, but if it's for street, strip and occasional HPDE, then you should be fine. Gas mileage is about the same as before the blower if I'm not on it a lot, for me this typically means about 1-2MPG less than stock.
The following users liked this post:
RussTrainer (07-02-2023)
Old 12-17-2014, 03:30 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Yep, also a DFW guy here.

It's a daily driver and will be doing track days maybe twice a year at most.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
heat. I live in FL and am interested in doing some HPDE events and the shop I worked with had some concerns about heat soak for extended track sessions, also I wanted to keep highflow cats and was concerned about melting them. Third was power. My car came out of the shop with 490 rwhp....how much more do I really need?!?!?
Even with heat soak a blower will still make more than 490rwhp (unless it's an E-Force )

And last was sound...you just can't beat the chop of a nicely cammed car!
Opinion...I agree it sounds nice but a boosted V8 sounds ridiculous as well. Also you don't hear them as frequently as you do bolt-on V8 cars

Drivability has been slightly affected.
Not with a blower. Drives just like stock.

I am sure there will be plenty of posts as to why the owners went with a SC, but this was my rationale with a cam and headers and I could not be happier!
I'm giving you my counter points to why I didn't go that way.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

I've never heard much sound come from a centri unit. What makes a boosted V8 sound ridiculous? It's certainly not the unit itself.

IMHO! There's nothing better than a big cam V8 with headers and a catless exhaust. It's blissful. That's what I chose for my 2013 GS A6 car.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

I'll just need to find some good Youtube videos to kind of compare Cammed vs Supercharged to give me an idea of the sound I would deal with on a daily basis.

Right now, I don't think I'm willing to deal with a crazy loud car every single day when I'm just going to work. The calmer Supercharger when I'm not gunning in is really sounding attractive right now...not to mention the overall HP gain is better with the SC.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:48 PM
shawnaj7731
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always informed that H/C/I/E is more reliable then supercharger less strees?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I have factory NPP with the man switch, and I've always thought it was a bit tame in the open position. Once I put the blower on that changed. It's sounds the same below about 3,500, but at full throttle above that it is WAY louder. Have had several of my Corvette buddies comment on how loud it is on the top end now.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:15 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Centrifugal charger. Smooth as silk and a monster up top.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

imho- a blower car like an A&A will be deliver more performance for a less total cost than a cam, heads, exhaust car.
Much easier to pull the blower and resell when you are done & you will recoup more of your investment.
I do think a cam car is hard to beat for sound but a blower car gets more attention with the hood up or the gas pedal down.
I do also think the cam can be harder on the engine than a blower.
The cam is designed to change your valve train, faster opening and closing rates, taller lifts, longer duration etc.
That being said either choice will work just fine if you choose components wisely.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd rather supercharge myself. no internal engine work, drives more stock like unless you're really on it, and easier to revert. I'm probably weird but I've never really been drawn to the lopey cam sound. it's cool because it's different and the car sounds like it means business .. but that's about it, to me : )
Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM
0JDP Tech
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It really depends on what you want out of the car and what you will be doing with the car. Those who do road course racing should really avoid boost for the heat reasons posted about above. A good Head/cam package is a better way to go for that application.

As far as drivability, as long as you don't get too crazy with the cam, you can keep it easy to drive, but F/I will drive like stock.

I love the lope of a cammed LS engine but I also love having a lot of power; ultimately, I'm going to be the guy that asks: Why not both?!

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
The following users liked this post:
HYRYSC (03-12-2021)
Old 12-17-2014, 08:59 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

If you go with a cam do your homework. Bigger is not better. The supercharger will change the balance of the car if you plan to track the car. You may want to talk to a good tuner about the CEL if you plan to drive the car on the street since Texas has inspections.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

I did many mods including a Cam, ported heads are next. Stock driveability because I selected the right Cam for what i wanted. Get the right Cam and you can have stock idle and driveability.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
If you go with a cam do your homework. Bigger is not better. The supercharger will change the balance of the car if you plan to track the car. You may want to talk to a good tuner about the CEL if you plan to drive the car on the street since Texas has inspections.
You brought up a couple good points!

1. I live in CA where we have strict emissions testing. Just adding a set of headers will fail the visual test!

This is why I chose to go with an A&A centrifugal force supercharger which has a C.A.R.B. Certification when installed and tuned by A&A Corvette. Does it pass emissions testing in CA? I'm good to go for another two years.

2. The weight of any supercharger and intercooler will be displaced over the front axle adding about 80# up front for a centrifugal supercharger/intercooler, not sure about roots S/C. I did not notice any handling differences in spirited driving around the twisties, but I do not track my car. However, the additional weight did drop the nose down almost 3/4". I just readjusted the lowering bolts to bring the nose back up to stock height.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-17-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam & Headers vs Supercharger

Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
I've never heard much sound come from a centri unit. What makes a boosted V8 sound ridiculous? It's certainly not the unit itself.
Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
I'll just need to find some good Youtube videos to kind of compare Cammed vs Supercharged to give me an idea of the sound I would deal with on a daily basis.
Here's my centri on boost.

Friend driving on some of these but gives you an idea. This is an ECS kit.

Also with NPP it's comical how quiet the car will get...

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
imho- a blower car like an A&A will be deliver more performance for a less total cost than a cam, heads, exhaust car.
Much easier to pull the blower and resell when you are done & you will recoup more of your investment.
I do think a cam car is hard to beat for sound but a blower car gets more attention with the hood up or the gas pedal down.
I do also think the cam can be harder on the engine than a blower.
The cam is designed to change your valve train, faster opening and closing rates, taller lifts, longer duration etc.

That being said either choice will work just fine if you choose components wisely.
with everything including the bolded parts
Old 12-18-2014, 07:20 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

A big benefit of a supercharger is how easy it is to get more HP after you become bored.

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Also with NPP it's comical how quiet the car will get...

You need stickier tires in a bad way.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MARSC6
You need stickier tires in a bad way.
Yeah the rear tires are starting to get bald. They'll hook in second if I slow roll into it. Most hits in 3rd I'm good. Today it was upper 40s on my work commute. Spun the tires on a 3rd gear hit on the freeway (empty stretch) at 100mph . Colder weather loves more power but colder weather sucks for summer tires.

Quick Reply: Cam & Headers vs Supercharger