C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPI rear spoiler issues ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:44 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default RPI rear spoiler issues ????

I purchased a C6 Corvette Hydro Carbon Fiber ZR1 Style Rear Spoiler. From RPI Corvette. A vendor on here. And I am having problems with the clearcoat chipping and peeling off. This is the second time i have had this issue. Last time Josh at RPI repainted it and fixed it free of charge. Well the same issue is back. And i am at a lost as to what to do. The spoiler looks great on my Lemans Blue C6. But spoiler is looking like **** once again. I sent Josh email days ago. And looks like i am on my own fixing this.. I just cant figure why the clearcoat keeps coming off the spoiler. I hand wash car. And take care of it relentlessly. Any thoughts ??

Old 12-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

it looks like an awful tight fit and maybe that section is making contact with the body and chipping the clear. I say make them stand behind their product and work though, and have them ship you a replacement. it shouldn't be up to you to figure it out.

if it were normal paint. I'd suggest taking it to a local body shop to have it repaired and cleared over, but being hydrographics.. well, the finish may get wrecked as they remove the clearcoat...
Old 12-19-2014, 09:29 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I would speculate that to much hardener was used in the paint making the paint brittle,
They could also mix in additional promoter which allows the paint to dry quicker.
Both result in a paint that is brittle rather than flexible.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

And this is the second time this has happened? Then I would demand a new piece. IMO.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I have nothing good to say about RPI.

I purchased a rear spoiler from them and it was garbage. Spent the next 3 months chasing them down to get responses and a refund. Not pleasant to deal with at all.

Others on here have had good luck and speak highly…….but I'll tell ya, if I'd drilled and mounted and followed their mounting instructions (thank God I triple checked fitment BEFORE) on the piece of crap they mailed me I'd of been one mad SOB.

Chipped paint

poor fit and alignment

Old 12-20-2014, 04:01 PM
hms
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Same story as above .I didn't bother with trying to work things out. In the trash it went.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 PM
dileonardog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same story here.Bad fit around center light and the thin,bowed piece snapped.Just gave me lip service.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:20 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, their spoilers are not good quality and don't follow the curve of the car properly and have problems in the brake light area. You are much better off getting a OEM spoiler. Everyone who has purchased one from them will tell you the same thing!

Get notified of new replies

To RPI rear spoiler issues ????

Quick Reply: RPI rear spoiler issues ????