C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd request? Exhaust related

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:55 AM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Odd request? Exhaust related

I have an 08 with NPP exhaust with the butterfly valves open almost 99% of the time.

I love the way my car sounds from the outside (had a buddy drive in in front of me and love the way the car sounded)

But from the inside the exhaust sounds very muffled, i.e. can't hear much of the staccato and bassy sound of the exhaust (which you can hear outside). I can still hear the pops and crackles on deceleration, but nowhere near as pronounced as from the outside of the car.

I was wondering if putting sound deadening materials in the trunk would help transmit the exterior exhaust note into the car more? Or would that muffle it even more? I think now I know why some of the newer cars pump in intake / exhaust note through the speakers, not saying I want it necessarily.

To be clear, I do not want the exhaust to sound louder inside the car, just looking to see if it's possible for the exhaust to sound more similar to how it does outside of the car when I'm inside driving the car.

Just bored please go easy on me
Old 12-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Drive with the windows down. Sound deadening material does just that. Deadens the sound. Lol
Old 12-22-2014, 09:11 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

sounds like you are just ASKING for drone.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:14 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by furiousox
I have an 08 with NPP exhaust with the butterfly valves open almost 99% of the time.

I love the way my car sounds from the outside (had a buddy drive in in front of me and love the way the car sounded)

But from the inside the exhaust sounds very muffled, i.e. can't hear much of the staccato and bassy sound of the exhaust (which you can hear outside). I can still hear the pops and crackles on deceleration, but nowhere near as pronounced as from the outside of the car.

I was wondering if putting sound deadening materials in the trunk would help transmit the exterior exhaust note into the car more? Or would that muffle it even more? I think now I know why some of the newer cars pump in intake / exhaust note through the speakers, not saying I want it necessarily.

To be clear, I do not want the exhaust to sound louder inside the car, just looking to see if it's possible for the exhaust to sound more similar to how it does outside of the car when I'm inside driving the car.

Just bored please go easy on me
Have the exhaust rerouted to the inside of the car. : )
Old 12-22-2014, 09:32 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I don't believe that you will ever get the same sound of the exhaust inside the car that you hear on the outside.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RichKiss
Sounds crazy, but it just might work.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Wakemaker89
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long tubes and off road x pipe but then the outside won't sound like it used to because it will be a lot louder!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Open headers! ! Can you hear me now?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:53 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

No sound deadener, can you fix the valves to stay open all the time?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:26 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RichKiss
Side pipes...
Old 12-22-2014, 12:35 PM
furiousox
Pro

Haha I drive with the exhaust valves open 99% of the time with the windows down to try to best mimic the exterior exhaust note...especially in the canyons or going through tunnels the sound is just intoxicating. Was just hoping there was some way to have that sound all the time
Old 12-22-2014, 01:02 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Pre-record the sounds you like from a microphone located near the exhaust tips. Then play it back on an endless loop in your car's CD player. You could also download it to an ipod and play it anywhere except in the shower, unless you can sing to burble, crackle, & pop.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:06 PM
zero11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why a lot of guy's go with an after market exhaust,corsa,Borla,etc.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:41 AM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Exhaust dumps into the cabin of the car is what you're looking for
Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM
furiousox
Pro

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
Exhaust dumps into the cabin of the car is what you're looking for
tried a quick google search and couldn't find anything on it...have you implemented this by any chance? I have no clue where to even begin

I used to have a Corsa Sport exhaust but it got too loud too much of the time. It didn't drone though, and I loved how it accentuated the staccato note of the V8 when revving up and the insane pops and crackes on decel.

I love the duality of the NPP, but the loud mode for NPP is quite drony and doesn't sound very pleasant in cabin IMHO. I've still had this exhaust for almost a year now because it's the best I can get. I believe Borla(?) also has a dual mode exhaust, but from what I've read its quiet mode is still very loud.

Best of both worlds would be factory quiet in closed mode + Corsa Sport sound in open mode, but I know I'm asking for too much
Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 AM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by furiousox
tried a quick google search and couldn't find anything on it...have you implemented this by any chance? I have no clue where to even begin

I used to have a Corsa Sport exhaust but it got too loud too much of the time. It didn't drone though, and I loved how it accentuated the staccato note of the V8 when revving up and the insane pops and crackes on decel.

I love the duality of the NPP, but the loud mode for NPP is quite drony and doesn't sound very pleasant in cabin IMHO. I've still had this exhaust for almost a year now because it's the best I can get. I believe Borla(?) also has a dual mode exhaust, but from what I've read its quiet mode is still very loud.

Best of both worlds would be factory quiet in closed mode + Corsa Sport sound in open mode, but I know I'm asking for too much
No, don't do that I was kidding. That would be a horrible experience. What I've done though is put on long tube headers, straight piped the exhaust, but retained my NPP mufflers. Then I put a mild to wild switch on. NPP switched open you have straight piped long tubes which absolutely screams and pops and crackles like crazy, and with NPP closed it's almost completely silent, for those times you need to make a phone call or have a conversation.

Last edited by corvette-kyle; 12-29-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM
furiousox
Pro

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
No, don't do that I was kidding. That would be a horrible experience. What I've done though is put on long tube headers, straight piped the exhaust, but retained my NPP mufflers. Then I put a mild to wild switch on. NPP switched open you have straight piped long tubes which absolutely screams and pops and crackles like crazy, and with NPP closed it's almost completely silent, for those times you need to make a phone call or have a conversation.
Yup there's a YouTube video that highlights NPP exhaust with PDAFT headers and the car sounded bloody amazing in the video. Looks like sound-wise this will be my fix Been holding out on modding my C6 so I can see if I can get into a C6 ZR1 or C7 Z06 by summer...
Old 12-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter what you do, the exhaust will never sound the same inside the car as it does outside the car. Ever notice that awesome sound you get driving through a tunnel or under an overpass with the windows down? You can modify your exhasut to get a better note in the car, but it will be even louder outside the car. It sounds like you want it to scream in the car (which I love as well - so I put B&B bullets on), but you will end up waking up the neighbors every time you leave eraly in the morning and come home late at night. IT's all a personal choice, but best of luck in your endeavor to achieve that perfect note!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL at the exhaust route inside the cabin joke.

out of all of the performance cars I've had, I will say, the corvette insulated the outside better than mostly all of them, and the exhaust sounds night and day different from the outside vs the inside. if you want the same sound inside, you'll probably be waking the dead on the outside. I would just try to accept that your car sounds great to everyone else and that you can roll down your window when you want to hear it : )

Get notified of new replies

To Odd request? Exhaust related

Quick Reply: Odd request? Exhaust related