C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Corvette C6 VS 2008 Porsche 997 C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:34 PM
harlanmott3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Corvette C6 VS 2008 Porsche 997 C4

I've been meaning to write this up for a few months now. About a year ago I sold my 07 C6 z51 because of a divorce. The corvette was my daily driver and only car in colorado, replacement would be both as well. I was looking for a replacement and spent a LOT of time searching for an 02-04 Porche 911 Turbo. I drove a few and even made an offer. I couldn't make a deal happen on it, so I started looking online for reviews of the Porsche 911 (997 internal designation). I searched high and low, and everywhere I found reviews basically said:

The porsche is more a drivers car.
The porsche is more refined.
The porsche has a nicer interior.
The porsche is better built.
The porsche is more exclusive.

The corvette is a little faster.

That pretty much sums up all the reviews I could find (mostly from non-owners). I test drove a few porsche's in the early 997 series (06-08). I found a wonderful car just what I was looking for on paper (black, c4, heated seats, build in radar detector, etc.) and I purchased it. I've now had it for 5 months, I had my c6 for 2.5 years. So I thought I would give MY review of the two cars. I think much like the above I can boil it down pretty easily. It goes like this.

The porsche in nearly every way is inferior.

The porsche interior is no better built (check out the aircon switches for a start). The porsche has had 1 electrical problem (its lower mileage as well), the corvette had none. The porsche is much slower feeling if not actually much slower. The porsche is no more exclusive, and people seem to actually ignored it more regularly. Nothing about the porsche feels more refined besides the dealer experience, and thats not always a good thing. The corvette has way more interior room. The corvette will actually hold your groceries. Oh and a trunk the front seems neat, until you pull into a parking lot and need to get to it with cars next to you. It doesn't turn as well. It doesn't accelerate as well. It certainly doesn't toss you back in the seat the same. I don't know what the "drivers car" is all about in the magazines. It doesn't brake as well. I have to be going 2x as fast in the porsche to get the same smile as the corvette.

The porsche has 2 things going for it that make me not cry that I didn't buy another corvette. First it seats 4, and despite the horrid back seats, they actually get used in my car (its my only car remember). The all wheel drive in the winter is REALLY nice. Thats it guys, thats the only things the porsche 997 has on the corvette c6. If I had known then what I know now. If I hadn't been buying a porsche with my 13 year old heart instead of my brain. I figured I had a mustang, a corvette, I needed a porsche next. I would have bought another c6 and an old merc. to drive to and from work. On that reminds me, the porsche gets much worse gas mileage too. Those two would have cost me less than the porsche too. Less to purchase, less in gas, and less insurance I'd bet. Oh I did think of one more good thing about the porsche, it will go over a speed bump like a normal car.

So I wanted to write this, for the next guy like me that compares these two cars and searches the web for a review.

Last edited by harlanmott3; 12-23-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: pro porsche speed bump added.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

good read!

I drove the 911 Turbo (991 newer one). It's a freaking beast. What's the specs on the 997? I'm not too familiar to remember.

I agree that the higher end cars aren't "all that." I've driven a few. There are some gems out there, Porsche IMO is not one of them.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:28 PM
harlanmott3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
good read!

I drove the 911 Turbo (991 newer one). It's a freaking beast. What's the specs on the 997? I'm not too familiar to remember.

I agree that the higher end cars aren't "all that." I've driven a few. There are some gems out there, Porsche IMO is not one of them.
My C4 has a 3.6L boxer 6. 340HP 0-60 in 4.8sec

Everything I read said porsche is conservative with numbers and real numbers are closer to 355-360HP and 4.5-4.6sec to 60.

Numbers aren't everything is what they tell you. However, I can assure you its not just the numbers the porsche lacks over the corvette. Its that excitement!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:34 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by harlanmott3
I've been meaning to write this up for a few months now. About a year ago I sold my 07 C6 z51 because of a divorce. The corvette was my daily driver and only car in colorado, replacement would be both as well. I was looking for a replacement and spent a LOT of time searching for an 02-04 Porche 911 Turbo. I drove a few and even made an offer. I couldn't make a deal happen on it, so I started looking online for reviews of the Porsche 911 (997 internal designation). I searched high and low, and everywhere I found reviews basically said:

The porsche is more a drivers car.
The porsche is more refined.
The porsche has a nicer interior.
The porsche is better built.
The porsche is more exclusive.

The corvette is a little faster.

That pretty much sums up all the reviews I could find (mostly from non-owners). I test drove a few porsche's in the early 997 series (06-08). I found a wonderful car just what I was looking for on paper (black, c4, heated seats, build in radar detector, etc.) and I purchased it. I've now had it for 5 months, I had my c6 for 2.5 years. So I thought I would give MY review of the two cars. I think much like the above I can boil it down pretty easily. It goes like this.

The porsche in nearly every way is inferior.

The porsche interior is no better built (check out the aircon switches for a start). The porsche has had 1 electrical problem (its lower mileage as well), the corvette had none. The porsche is much slower feeling if not actually much slower. The porsche is no more exclusive, and people seem to actually ignored it more regularly. Nothing about the porsche feels more refined besides the dealer experience, and thats not always a good thing. The corvette has way more interior room. The corvette will actually hold your groceries. Oh and a trunk the front seems neat, until you pull into a parking lot and need to get to it with cars next to you. It doesn't turn as well. It doesn't accelerate as well. It certainly doesn't toss you back in the seat the same. I don't know what the "drivers car" is all about in the magazines. It doesn't brake as well. I have to be going 2x as fast in the porsche to get the same smile as the corvette.

The porsche has 2 things going for it that make me not cry that I didn't buy another corvette. First it seats 4, and despite the horrid back seats, they actually get used in my car (its my only car remember). The all wheel drive in the winter is REALLY nice. Thats it guys, thats the only things the porsche 997 has on the corvette c6. If I had known then what I know now. If I hadn't been buying a porsche with my 13 year old heart instead of my brain. I figured I had a mustang, a corvette, I needed a porsche next. I would have bought another c6 and an old merc. to drive to and from work. On that reminds me, the porsche gets much worse gas mileage too. Those two would have cost me less than the porsche too. Less to purchase, less in gas, and less insurance I'd bet. Oh I did think of one more good thing about the porsche, it will go over a speed bump like a normal car.

So I wanted to write this, for the next guy like me that compares these two cars and searches the web for a review.
I have posted within the past week almost the same sentiments. I am coming from Porsche and expected in the Corvette a rattling shaking crude but fast something or other with a poorly laid out cabin for an inferior driving experience compared to Porsche. I also expected numb steering.

I have found nothing in the Corvette is materially inferior to the Porsches. The compares may be heritage from the C3 vs 911 SC days or something, but hardly valid in at least the C6. I even prefer the instrumentation of the Corvette although I'd prefer the analog oil temp instead of the digital option on the multi display but that's a trivial ****le.

My biggest surprise is the steering sensitivity. I actually prefer the predicable Corvette steering feel over the Porsches which vary according to speed due to the mass distro.

HVAC? The 'Vette creams the Porsche. Seats? Vette is more comfortable, Porsche more supportive. Ride? Tie. Wind noise? Vette wins. Engine sounds? Vette wins. I can go on and on and mostly Vette wins.

Maybe the only continuing sin that Corvette has which cause it to be down graded is it's made by GM. Time for a spin off.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

My father is a Porsche guy. He had a Vette at around my age, and a few years ago he started on a Porsche kick. He's got a 993 and a 997.2S, great cars. I did a track day in the 997.2S, and will agree on a lot of accounts.

IMO, the 911 has MUCH nicer materials. That said, the Corvette has an easier and more functional interior. The cupholders that people rave about finally being included in the 911, suck frankly. They're these weird flippy dippy things that look totally out of place.

The Corvette is a good bit faster. More power, less weight. The difference on a track is less, but the Corvette is easier to drive fast for a beginner, the 911 is more technical and fun IMO. Weight transfer is the name of the game with the 911, and if you screw up it bites you big time.

The better built and more exclusive thing, I suppose is a matter of perspective. The Corvette is well built, but the 911 is definitely better built - if overly built. Exclusive, depends on your circles I suppose. The Corvette has a working class appeal, the 911 is super common among the old rich dudes. I couldn't care less about the "exclusivity" of a car though.

I'm happy with my Corvettes right now. I will have a 911 at some point.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:03 PM
harlanmott3
Instructor

Originally Posted by FAUEE

My father is a Porsche guy. He had a Vette at around my age, and a few years ago he started on a Porsche kick. He's got a 993 and a 997.2S, great cars. I did a track day in the 997.2S, and will agree on a lot of accounts.

IMO, the 911 has MUCH nicer materials. That said, the Corvette has an easier and more functional interior. The cupholders that people rave about finally being included in the 911, suck frankly. They're these weird flippy dippy things that look totally out of place.

The Corvette is a good bit faster. More power, less weight. The difference on a track is less, but the Corvette is easier to drive fast for a beginner, the 911 is more technical and fun IMO. Weight transfer is the name of the game with the 911, and if you screw up it bites you big time.

The better built and more exclusive thing, I suppose is a matter of perspective. The Corvette is well built, but the 911 is definitely better built - if overly built. Exclusive, depends on your circles I suppose. The Corvette has a working class appeal, the 911 is super common among the old rich dudes. I couldn't care less about the "exclusivity" of a car though.

Most of your pro-porsche is centered around the track. I know the dry sump is good on the porsche for that as well. I never took the vette and I'll likely never take the porsche, so that doesn't really matter to me. I do hate the porsche flip out cup holders, but I hate having a key to start it and a button to lock and unlock the doors even more! You forget how nice it is to never take the key out of your pocket until you have to do it every day.

My circles I don't think are old rich, as I'm in my 30's myself. But I know I see as many porsches in my area as corvettes, some days more.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Cool insight...hope your happier this year than last.

Old saying....why do divorces cost so much? Because they are worth it! Happy holidays.

Post a photo of your German ride. I'm sure it's cool too.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE

Coming from strong Porsche but new Corvette background, I"m going to mildly disagree with some of what you say.

While a 997 C2 and a C6 probably won't ever run head to head due to class, I agree the C6 is much faster than the 997 for inexperienced or unschooled drivers. I maintain, though, that drivers of all skill levels will be faster in the C6 due to its forgiveness. There is nothing in the 997 that magically transforms it into a Vette killer if handled by drivers of X skill level.

A good deal of the engineering effort in the Porsche is given over to addressing its fundamental design errors. Porsche is stuck in the 911 configuration which was all right in the 75 hp or so 356 but now that the machines have 400+ hp, it isn't by a long shot. So since it can't abandon the rear engine poor mass distro, it has to engineer everything from where the battery goes to the front castor to the links in the rear suspension to make up for this design disadvantage.

Over in Vette-ville, we have a fundamentally sound basic design which needs little concession to layout flaws. Yes, a mid engine would be slightly better but not like the difference between, say the Porsche 997 and the 987 which is night and day.

The weird upshot of all this is that today, the only contest a Porsche 911 would win against a C7 Z06 is a 0-60 time where the 991 TTS does maybe 2.6 and the '15 Z06 2.9. So if you go back to L88 days and the 1967 911, we've managed to switch places. The Vette wins in all road tasks other than straight line 0-some speed contests.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:01 AM
mysloride
Racer

I think the Corvette vs Porsche discussion will always be a good discussion. Two completely different approaches to building a top end sports car.

I enjoy the different look and feel of the Porsche but I would never buy one for the following reasons listed in order of importance to ME.

1. The sound of an American V8 built to run. (rates right there with bad $ex, which is pretty darn good)
2. Lots of Torque at any RPM range. (do any of the Porsche's have a 1-4 shifter?)
3. I grew up idolizing Corvettes, that has not changed. I don't just have what I want, I WANT WHAT I HAVE...big difference. When I see a high end Porsche on the road, I do pay attention, but I don't wish i was driving it instead on my C6
4. I can work on the Corvette.
5. $$$ 4 $$$ the fastest sports car on the road

please understand that my opinion and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at starbucks

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 Corvette C6 VS 2008 Porsche 997 C4

Quick Reply: 2006 Corvette C6 VS 2008 Porsche 997 C4