C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded spoiler scraping

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:40 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Dreaded spoiler scraping

I bought a carbon fiber splitter for my GS two months ago ,it was supposed to be one inch narrower than the stock splitter" NOT" every time I exit my driveway I scrape a corner ,I figure soon it will be ground down to nothing,sooooooooo I bought some rebar and some P7 epoxy at Lowes. I cut the rebar into 18" inch lengths and proceeded to bend them to match the curve in the splitter mixed the epoxy and clamped them on to the underside of the splitter,they are hidden by the curved lip and just enough hangs down to protect the splitter,now if the Dayum epoxy will harden up and work. I have had trouble finding an epoxy that actually works in the past,hope this works.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:27 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I sure hope that rebar does not fall off the GS - I could see you buying a new tire (s) maybe fix a few holes in the floor pan - that would not be pretty.
You would be better served with UHMW (ultra high molecular weight Polyethylene) and screw it to the splitter.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:31 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

My front valance scrapes on my driveway as well. I had the valance color matched and the paint on the leading edge was destroyed after a few scrapes. I used truck bed liner with the color match along the bottom and leading edge of the valance. I have had it applied for about 8 months and it worked great. Still scrapes but the liner is still there with no visible damage.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:55 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
My front valance scrapes on my driveway as well. I had the valance color matched and the paint on the leading edge was destroyed after a few scrapes. I used truck bed liner with the color match along the bottom and leading edge of the valance. I have had it applied for about 8 months and it worked great. Still scrapes but the liner is still there with no visible damage.

Wow is that all the clearance you have! Or is off the car when you took the picture?
Bill
Old 12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
I sure hope that rebar does not fall off the GS - I could see you buying a new tire (s) maybe fix a few holes in the floor pan - that would not be pretty.
You would be better served with UHMW (ultra high molecular weight Polyethylene) and screw it to the splitter.
Can't screw anything to the bottom or I would have put an aluminum plate on the bottom,if the epoxy does its job I should have no problem,if it's going to come off it will the first time I leave the driveway.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As you are backing out of the driveway, maneuver the car so it is eventually parallel to the driveway apron, then move off the apron with a gradual change in angle and you will not hit.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I would worry that the rebar would hold for a while then something like repeated scraping or a sudden temp change or rain would cause it to come off then you would run over causing considerable damage or it could go shooting out from under your car into the car behind you. Just to much to go wrong IMO.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:04 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by hrt vlv
Wow is that all the clearance you have! Or is off the car when you took the picture?
Bill
The angle makes it look closer to the ground than it really is but it's still pretty low.

Last edited by 1rusty1; 12-27-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:05 PM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Corvettes that are on the track definitely need a front splitter. I would hate to see metal parts come unglued while you were on the highway causing damage to your car or others around you.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:59 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

OP, I agree with others who have said that using rebar is far too dangerous, both for you, as well as those driving near you.

This is not a very good idea at all.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:38 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

So you glued rebar on your new splitter right where you know it will scrape and fall off at first contact?

Old 12-28-2014, 07:31 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
If the rebar comes loose, he'll be lucky if he only loses a tire.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

My fear is that the rebar will come off at speed and take out someone behind you. Not a pretty sight. Your insurance may not pay for damages when they figure out what you did and make a determination that it was not safe. Just my .02.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69 L46 4 Speed
My fear is that the rebar will come off at speed and take out someone behind you. Not a pretty sight. Your insurance may not pay for damages when they figure out what you did and make a determination that it was not safe. Just my .02.
Any, and every, insurance carrier would have to pay for a 3rd party loss.

It would be covered under the liability portion of his policy.

Clearly, a chunk of rebar bouncing down the road would be a result of his liability. That is guaranteed!

It would also be covered as a first party loss under his Comprehensive coverage, because there are no exclusions for dumb ideas.

As long as it's sudden and accidental, it's covered.

Last edited by Hameister; 12-28-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:24 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Any, and every, insurance carrier would have to pay for a 3rd party loss.

It would be covered under the liability portion of his policy.

Clearly, a chunk of rebar bouncing down the road would be a result of his liability. That is guaranteed!

It would also be covered as a first party loss under his Comprehensive coverage, because there are no exclusions for dumb ideas.

As long as it's sudden and accidental, it's covered.
As a biker all my life, this sort of thread worries me a bit. I agree that if the rebar came off and took me out, it'd be his negligence which caused it so his insurance would be on the hook for the damage.

However, in real life, if a rebar came and took me out, I'd never suspect it dropped off a Corvette ahead of me. I'd think it was on the road and stirred up by the Corvette which isn't negligence on his part. That's assuming I was conscious enough to even try to ascribe cause to the rebar which came at me at high speed.

So not only does the OP expose his ride to severe damage, he also exposes others and if such an occurrence were to take place, not assume responsibility to make things right.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
As a biker all my life, this sort of thread worries me a bit. I agree that if the rebar came off and took me out, it'd be his negligence which caused it so his insurance would be on the hook for the damage.

Correct

However, in real life, if a rebar came and took me out, I'd never suspect it dropped off a Corvette ahead of me. I'd think it was on the road and stirred up by the Corvette which isn't negligence on his part. That's assuming I was conscious enough to even try to ascribe cause to the rebar which came at me at high speed.

Also Correct

So not only does the OP expose his ride to severe damage, he also exposes others and if such an occurrence were to take place, not assume responsibility to make things right.

Correct again...in a vacuum, liability is 100% as I stated.
Proving it is another issue entirely.
So, all in all, I'd strongly suggest the OP give up on this idea.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded spoiler scraping

Quick Reply: Dreaded spoiler scraping