C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange oil leak...fixed

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 AM
abc8cub
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange oil leak...fixed

Picked up my 2012 base about 2 months ago. Got home and noticed a drop or two of oil in the garage where it parks. Then on a short trip had the dreaded oil smoke/smell when we came to a stop.
Got home and looked under the car and there was oil drip on the bottom of the oil filter. Thought for sure I had the leaking oil pan so often described on this forum. This was a "certified" chevy from the dealer and under warranty but like many folks here I truly hated to take it to a dealer for a fix. Finally got equipped at home to get under the car myself and cleaned all the oil off the engine and bellhousing.
Started the car and crawled under to see where the oil was coming from. Turned out to be the oil filter itself. Not the gasket, but the crimp between the base of the filter and the can. Been changing my own oil for over 50 years and never seen this. Changed the filter (was way over tightened by the dealer....) and problem fixed!! What a relief not to have to deal with a dealer.......
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I think the oil pan leak stories are overblown. There are 110,000 C6's on the road so you hear 1,000 have an oil pan gasket leak and it seems like a big issue. This is the most leak free car I have ever owned. Almost every car I have ever owned has leaked oil but I've never had a filter leak but stuff happens. Quick, buy a lottery ticket.

FYI, GM way over tightens them at the factory also as well as the oil drain plug. The first oil change is a struggle. Tightened to spec the next oil change is much easier.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Exact same problem on our Impala.

Usually change my own oil, but received a card from the dealer for a

free oil change.

Noticed the drip and they changed the filter this past Monday.

Problem solved.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 AM
abc8cub
Intermediate

By the way.....The leaking filter was AC/Delco PF48e, as was the replacement......
Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I also have never seen a leaky oil filter. Crap happens I guess.

Been using Mobil One Gold filters from day one, no problems.

Glad it was an easy fix.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

"What a relief not to have to deal with a dealer......." I really think you are stereotyping dealers. Yes, there are dealers out there that have earned a bad reputation, but not all of them. And no, I don't work for a dealership, or have anything to do with them. I can tell you that when I got the oil pan gasket replaced on my vette, I took it to a Chevy dealer that came with some very strong recommendations from our Corvette club, and they did a great job, and it wasn't the local dealer.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I also have never seen a leaky oil filter. Crap happens I guess.

Been using Mobil One Gold filters from day one, no problems.

Glad it was an easy fix.
Mobil 1 Gold filters? Are they something new? I have been using Mobil 1 filters, but I am not familiar with a M1 Gold filter.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 AM
abc8cub
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Red08
"What a relief not to have to deal with a dealer......." I really think you are stereotyping dealers. Yes, there are dealers out there that have earned a bad reputation, but not all of them. And no, I don't work for a dealership, or have anything to do with them. I can tell you that when I got the oil pan gasket replaced on my vette, I took it to a Chevy dealer that came with some very strong recommendations from our Corvette club, and they did a great job, and it wasn't the local dealer.
I really don't mean to put down dealers in general. As a long time DIY'er I hate to take my cars to any mechanic. (And until recently, never have in all my 50 years of driving!). Had the first warranty work in my life done on my Toyota truck recently and couldn't be happier with the dealer.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I think the oil pan leak stories are overblown. There are 110,000 C6's on the road so you hear 1,000 have an oil pan gasket leak and it seems like a big issue. This is the most leak free car I have ever owned. Almost every car I have ever owned has leaked oil but I've never had a filter leak but stuff happens. Quick, buy a lottery ticket.

FYI, GM way over tightens them at the factory also as well as the oil drain plug. The first oil change is a struggle. Tightened to spec the next oil change is much easier.
The oil pan leak problem is a real problem that occured to a lot of owners. Mine happened at about 36K and was repaired uner warranty by GM. The leak generally appears early in the life of the car so most that are on the road now should be Ok.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
The oil pan leak problem is a real problem that occured to a lot of owners. Mine happened at about 36K and was repaired uner warranty by GM. The leak generally appears early in the life of the car so most that are on the road now should be Ok.
I asked on another thread but never got an answer: Why are they leaking? Were the early gaskets defective or something?

The dealer "fixed" my '07 leak before I picked it up. So far so good.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:48 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
And the other 105,000 are sitting in garages...

Get notified of new replies

To Strange oil leak...fixed

Quick Reply: Strange oil leak...fixed