C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sexy versus sinister

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:33 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Sexy versus sinister

I've noticed a trend in the past decade or so by many manufactures and individuals to try to make cars look more and more sinister by blacking out wheels and components making the body lines more angular and mean looking. In many cases, the end result is a car that looks like it should be used in a bank robbery. I know some folks like this look, but personally, I don't.

I'd much rather prefer a car with smooth flowing lines with a splash of chrome here and there and just an overall sexy look. The CSix has that look and so do a few of the other exotic sports cars. I loved the look of the Porsche Boxster when it came out for that reason. Conversely, I hate the look of the new Camaro and don't like the Mustang much either. They both look like they belong in a gangster movie. For much the same reason, I don't like the looks of the front end of the new C7.

Just curious what other folks think. Do you really like the gangster look on a sports car?

Last edited by CSixDude; 12-28-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:36 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Everyone likes something different! That's what makes the world go around. If everyone liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:41 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

One man's sinister is another man's sexy... just sayin...
Old 12-28-2014, 04:45 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

I personally never understood the feeling to look "sinister" or "bad".

There's enough real a$$holes in the world the way it is...
Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

I like being sinister, girls think it's sexy.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:51 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I called it the aggressive look verses the passive look.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CAREFUL! The C7 secret police will label you a Hater and expose the FACT that the real reason you bash the C7 is envy and you can't afford one.

Honestly, it's been beat to death but what the hell... let's do it again. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is no right or wrong but the C7 styling does seem to be a love it or hate it design.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

When it comes to muscle cars like the Challenger Hellcat, the Mustang Premium GT, and the Camaro ZL1, I like the "murdered out" look.

Sports cars like the Viper, Corvette, and others, not so much. Of course black wheels look good on any car!

All a matter of personal taste.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

The current thing is angles and edges plus black wheels. I can do angles and edges in moderation but not the black wheels!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
The current thing is angles and edges plus black wheels. I can do angles and edges in moderation but not the black wheels!
And I completely respect your opinion, even though it's wrong.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:24 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, I'm not trying to pick on the C7, it isn't nearly as bad as many other cars I see out there, but the styling on it does seem to be moving in the "sinister" direction somewhat. It seems to be the direction the younger generation is moving towards, along with tattoos all over their bodies.

I guess some folks might like it, but I don't. I like cars that are described as looking sleek, sexy, smooth, and fast, versus ones that are described as menacing, aggressive, scary, dark, murdered out, or sinister looking.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

As you see...some people will even tell you what they like is what women like ...
But the truth is that when it comes to opinions, unlike facts, no one is right and no one is wrong. In addition, everyone has a right to their opinion whether you like it or not.
This seems to be a truth that is often overlooked on forums where people like to force their opinions on others and ridicule those whose opinions differ.
That said, I fell in love with my car when I saw it on the lot. It is Carlisle Blue, a metallic light blue. Pictures never do it justice as it changes in different lighting. Anyways, I had never seen the color before and thought it looked classy on the Vette. Therefore I bought my car because I wanted a classy look and I also wanted something different.
In my opinion the all black cars are void of color or contrast. Kind of like panting a picture and only using the color black! Although some black and white pictures are often interesting, I prefer some color and contrast in my world.
But remember, you are asking peoples opinions, and therefore will get a variety of answers, all of which the individual contributor is entitled to, regardless of whether we agree.

Last edited by db2012gs; 12-28-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:40 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Also I have owned black cars, and they do look mean, but black is a high maintenance color and gets very hot in direct sun! If I were to get another one I would prefer to go with black machine faced rims and put stainless screens in the grilles and vents to have some contrast. But that's my opinion.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:13 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Can't I have both!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

For a car that still has lift at speed, and a tail that is still a drag chute as well, see a whole lot of body lines and upper venting doing nothing really.

Truth is, the C7 looks too much like the Camaro (design team was spending way to much on the wrong side of the office steeling ideas off that car), and a great deal of the shape of the car over all is just the transition car for when it goes mid engine in the C8 models.

So instead of the design team spending time in the wind tunnel to have function over form to get down force in the car/put the lines to use, they did a high breed between a Camaro, and what they could steal from other car designs to come up with a body performance eminence only. Hence just scroll through other sports cars of the last 5 years, and the same shapes are showing up on the C-7 now (at least on the other cars, the design line being stolen are there for a performance reason to begin with).

Simply, it reminds me of when Chrysler came out with the 300 in 2005, and everyone else started to jump on the same wagon (read take a good look at a 300 (roof slammed look), then look at the shape of the new Camaro (another car designed on from over function).

And FYI, you don't get real down-force, instead of lift, until you get into the Z07 model.

Really, all the C-7 reminds me of, is that GM is just trying to play catch up with the rest of the world in regards to HP sports cars (some of the new parts they are using, like electronic diff), but not whole heartily instead (again, more of an eminence of performance, then actual performance instead).

Bluntly, spend a hour at autobahn speeds in a Z06 (plus 140mph) ,then the same time and speeds in a GT-3, and see which one leaves you white knuckled at the end of the drive (read for a car (vet) that has a top end speed of 190, you don't want to spend much time there since the lift of the car just causes it to become loose at those speeds instead).
Old 12-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can understand that sexy chrome had to go - due to not being crash durable.
But I do not agree with the trend to sinister black wheels - which I believe is to please the bulk of the young owners who don't care enough to keep them clean!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:46 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Simply, it reminds me of when Chrysler came out with the 300 in 2005, and everyone else started to jump on the same wagon (read take a good look at a 300 (roof slammed look), then look at the shape of the new Camaro (another car designed on from over function).
No.
Though not widely known, you can tell the 5thgen was based off a PONTIAC from 1999.

And FYI, you don't get real down-force, instead of lift, until you get into the Z07 model.

Really, all the C-7 reminds me of, is that GM is just trying to play catch up with the rest of the world in regards to HP sports cars (some of the new parts they are using, like electronic diff), but not whole heartily instead (again, more of an eminence of performance, then actual performance instead).
GM playing catch up? They have a car fully loaded with tech, that outperforms cars double the cost, with "in-house" developed systems (magride??)! And then the Z28, a car that you expect not to perform the way it should, using not commonly used spool valve dampeners (F1 tech!)... AND then the new ATS/CTS-Vs........
I think GM has their HP sports cars game in order ...

Bluntly, spend a hour at autobahn speeds in a Z06 (plus 140mph) ,then the same time and speeds in a GT-3, and see which one leaves you white knuckled at the end of the drive (read for a car (vet) that has a top end speed of 190, you don't want to spend much time there since the lift of the car just causes it to become loose at those speeds instead).
I've had no fear at 160+ in the GS, don't know which wuss would get white knuckled in one

Last edited by KnightmareCS; 12-28-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sexy versus sinister

Old 12-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Chrome wheels do it for me.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:40 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I've never understood the black rim following. IMO, the only car they really look decent on is an all black vehicle. For some reason, it just flows. Black wheels have very little definition when standing idle, and no definition when turning. One might as well just run solid black hub caps, or solid rubber wheels since they offer no style. Of course, as has been stated above, this is purely my opinion, and not what really makes the world go around.

With that said, when I'm at a car show and my car neighbor, who has black rims wants to show me his hot ride, I'll cringe, gnash my teeth, and politely lie right through them and tell him how "nice" they look.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I'll take sexy over murdered every time.

Quick Reply: Sexy versus sinister