C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! Problems after installing built transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:04 AM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Need help! Problems after installing built transmission

Some of you may have read the issues I had with my transmission which ultimately lead to it breaking.
Everything would be fine then suddenly it would start acting up after about 20 minutes of driving. If I was on the highway it would automatically downshift to 5th and wouldn't let me shift into 6th at all. It also wouldn't let me shift into 2nd unless I was going 20 mph, 3rd until 30 mph, 4th unless going 44 mph, 5th unless 58 mph and wouldn't let me into 6th at all.

However, if I stopped the car and turned it off and restarted it. It would run fine for 20 minutes and then start the problem all over again. The transmission blew so I sent it to century. After installing the tranny I have a new set off problems. Now the car won't stay in sport mode. If im stopped it won't shift at all nor will it register that its in sport mode. Basically in full automatic mode. Once I start driving I can shift once I reach 10 mph. After I shift and get up to speed. Almost 5 seconds later it will go back in full automatic mode and start shifting on its own. My other problem is in auto mode when it shifts into 3rd the car actually slows down then shifts then jolts forward. It's a pretty harsh up shift where other gears are smooth when shifting. But the weird thing is if I shift into 3rd in sport mode its a very smooth shift but it won't stay in sport mode. Thanks guys. Im depending on you guys cause no one else knows what's going on.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

QUOTE:"The transmission blew so I sent it to century"

Did they rebuild yours and put it back in? or did they put in a rebuilt one?

are all the wires connected to it correct?

fluid level ok? proper fluid used?

if it's not electrical,it's inside the tranny,which means they did something wrong rebuilding it. Just my first thoughts. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Don-Vette; 01-01-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:02 AM
robertmc1958@gmail.c
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a scan done with a Tech2 and see if any p07-- codes are stored. Also, did they re-flash the vcm/tcm?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:11 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

They rebuilt mine and sent it back. They supplied the tune as well and I seen no change after I put their time in.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:13 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

I drove it over the weekend and twice I was able to get manual mode to work properly but after I stopped for gas and restarted the car it went back to acting up.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Boilerman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think I would take the car to century and show them what it is doing and see what they say.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:29 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boilerman
I think I would take the car to century and show them what it is doing and see what they say.

Just my thoughts.
I would do that but im 1200 miles away.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Boilerman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I did not know the rebuild shop was not local to you.

Have you consulted with them on the ill activity of the tranny since they worked on it?

If not, I think I would start there and see what they think.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:00 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Yes I have. They aren't sure what's going on and neither does anyone else. I'm hoping that maybe someone has experienced this issue and can help out. I don't think it's the transmission itself. I think its something else.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The trans could be repaired correctly, but as you know, it's computer controlled. So, if you aren't local and we don't know where you are to recommend anyone or any shop, I guess you have two, or more choices besides people guessing on a solution from here: go to a dealer, or go find a tune shop that knows automatics. Or a trans shop that knows rebuilts. Or a Corvette club that knows good shops in the area to diagnose trans issues. Good luck with it.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. I have taken it to the dealership and they said they don't know what's wrong. I've also taken it to two speed shops and they don't know either. This is my last resort.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

That helps some. OK, you're in the Midwest. How about making a succinct post of your trans issues and posting a new thread in the Midwest section that might include Pittsburgh, IN, IL and MI, as well as OH. Furthermore, I don't know if they want to work on someone else's problems, or if they can but you might want to at least chat with RPM in Anderson IN and ask them who they'd recommend. Then, I might give a call to Lingenfelter.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:44 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by usmcpony
Some of you may have read the issues I had with my transmission which ultimately lead to it breaking.
Everything would be fine then suddenly it would start acting up after about 20 minutes of driving. If I was on the highway it would automatically downshift to 5th and wouldn't let me shift into 6th at all. It also wouldn't let me shift into 2nd unless I was going 20 mph, 3rd until 30 mph, 4th unless going 44 mph, 5th unless 58 mph and wouldn't let me into 6th at all.

However, if I stopped the car and turned it off and restarted it. It would run fine for 20 minutes and then start the problem all over again. The transmission blew so I sent it to century. After installing the tranny I have a new set off problems. Now the car won't stay in sport mode. If im stopped it won't shift at all nor will it register that its in sport mode. Basically in full automatic mode. Once I start driving I can shift once I reach 10 mph. After I shift and get up to speed. Almost 5 seconds later it will go back in full automatic mode and start shifting on its own. My other problem is in auto mode when it shifts into 3rd the car actually slows down then shifts then jolts forward. It's a pretty harsh up shift where other gears are smooth when shifting. But the weird thing is if I shift into 3rd in sport mode its a very smooth shift but it won't stay in sport mode. Thanks guys. Im depending on you guys cause no one else knows what's going on.
The problem definitely sounds like it's something electrical, one of or a combination of the following:

- bad clockspring wiring (this is where the paddleshift circuitry is)
- crimped or melted TCM wiring
- bad TCM
- bad valve body

Nothing you described sounds like a mechanical issue because I've driven home from the track on several different occasions with the internals of the transmission tore up beyond belief, but it would still shift properly.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:58 AM
usmcpony
Drifting

What would you recommend on going from here? Starting with the easier less expensive fixes first lol
Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 AM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by usmcpony
What would you recommend on going from here? Starting with the easier less expensive fixes first lol
What if anything did the dealership try to do? Unless they hooked up a Tech 2 and drove it around while scanning it they didn't really do much for you.

That would be my first suggestion because the transmission is kinda dumb in that it usually just does what the computer tells it to. As an example, if you're driving around and the car won't upshift when you're expecting it to, you need to find out if the computer is at least doing it's part by commanding the shift. If it isn't then the problem is definitely electrical. If it does but the transmission doesn't respond then it might be a valve body issue.

PM me your real name and when you had it rebuilt so I can do some follow-up as to what they found when it was torn down.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help! Problems after installing built transmission

Quick Reply: Need help! Problems after installing built transmission