C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Planning

Old 01-01-2015, 06:22 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poor Planning

New Year's Eve and I finally had a few minutes to tear into my 2007. I've been sitting on a HUD kit and a new Kenwood head unit for 2 months while I attended to other projects and tried to free up some space in the garage to work. I also have a very small tear in my driver seat that I would like to get fixed over the winter to I thought I could kill 3 birds with one stone.

Opting not to cut the HVAC duct behind the gauge cluster, I'd be taking the long way around by loosening the entire dash assembly.

First things first, out came the steering wheel and the driver seat.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 06:27 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Things were going relatively well, so I dug in further. Out came the center console, shift boot, e-brake boot, and quite few electrical connectors.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 06:31 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

A short while later and the radio, instrument cluster, knee panel, and pod switches were out. I was quite pleased with my progress.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 06:35 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

There's a fourth project to complete. While you're torn down, it's a perfect time to insulate the hell out of your driveline tunnel from under the dash all the way back as far as possible. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:36 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Now it's time to go after the dashboard. With the driver's door open, I removed the A-pillar covers to gain access to the bolts that secure the dash. Now I'll just move over the to the passenger side and...DOH!!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

In my efforts to make space in the garage, I parked the car as close as possible to the wall in the garage and inadvertantly screwed myself!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:57 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 161 Posts

Go buy a set of skates and get them under the tires and you can push that car all over the garage - it will be tough to do as is but can be done
Old 01-01-2015, 07:02 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

So now I can't steer it, I can't start it, I can't drive it, and I can't possibly open the passenger side door. I was going to run out and buy car dollies today, but there's no room to get the dollies or a jack on that side of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 07:06 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

You would'nt have had room anyway. To many motorcycles in the way.
I guess you'll have to cut the vent for the HUD.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

I'll probably have to bolt in the steering wheel and push it out into the driveway tomorrow...too bad it's 15 degrees out and I have a ton of stuff stacked up between the car and the door.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

it looks like you can get the nose up on skates and back drivers side - after that push the nose over and go in from the passenger side with the floor jack to get the last one.
I cant see the back but if it is free and clear you can jack it up from the back
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rbcsci
So now I can't steer it, I can't start it, I can't drive it, and I can't possibly open the passenger side door. I was going to run out and buy car dollies today, but there's no room to get the dollies or a jack on that side of the car.
Take a deep breath and maybe a few beers... and a break.

If it were me, I'd jack the car from the center one end at a time. There is a place in the owner's manual that show the spots and you'll need to cut a few pieces of 2x4's to span the cradles. DON"T crawl under the car! Use a stick / broom etc. to position the dollies under the wheels while each end is jacked up. Then you can roll the car sideways.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:22 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic

If it were me, I'd jack the car from the center one end at a time. There is a place in the owner's manual that show the spots and you'll need to cut a few pieces of 2x4's to span the cradles. DON"T crawl under the car! Use a stick / broom etc. to position the dollies under the wheels while each end is jacked up. Then you can roll the car sideways.
But please don't do anything for at least a few hours after those beers!!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:22 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
it looks like you can get the nose up on skates and back drivers side - after that push the nose over and go in from the passenger side with the floor jack to get the last one.
I cant see the back but if it is free and clear you can jack it up from the back
If I could jack from the front center, I'd agree, but I don't think I can get the nose up.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:27 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic

LOL...once I had realized my mistake, I stopped for a beer or two to just ponder the situation. I've been doing so for 24 hours now and haven't come up with the solution. The biggest challenge is lifting the nose with absolutely no access from the passenger side. The car is literally 6" from the wall.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:30 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Jack up the drivers side 1st and get your skates under - that should give you the clearance under the nose to do the single point lift in the center for the passenger side front.
If that does not work hook a chain onto the front wheel and drag it out of the corner - just kidding!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rbcsci
LOL...once I had realized my mistake, I stopped for a beer or two to just ponder the situation. I've been doing so for 24 hours now and haven't come up with the solution. The biggest challenge is lifting the nose with absolutely no access from the passenger side. The car is literally 6" from the wall.
Maybe you could slip something like this under the front and rear cradles.

Amazon.com: Black Bull EJ212 12 Volt Fully Automatic Electric Car Jack: Automotive Amazon.com: Black Bull EJ212 12 Volt Fully Automatic Electric Car Jack: Automotive

Get notified of new replies

To Poor Planning

Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Perfect time to take that wall down and make a bigger garage. You are a brave man I would have traded up to one with HUD.
Bill
Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
Jack up the drivers side 1st and get your skates under - that should give you the clearance under the nose to do the single point lift in the center for the passenger side front.
If that does not work hook a chain onto the front wheel and drag it out of the corner - just kidding!
Ahhhh! I think you nailed it! If I jack up the driver's side front from the side rail and then put a skate or block under there, I might have clearance to jack the whole front from the center jack point. Of course, I'd have to go out and buy some wheel dollies.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:03 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

You can jack up the driver's side using the front frame pod location to get the nose up and then use a second floor jack with a cross beam 4 x 4 under the center location. then you can center jack it up enough to get the wheel dollys under the tires. I've center jacked mine using two floor jacks this way several times. Center jack the rear the same way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poor Planning