C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure. Bearings going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:15 PM
416yellowz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low oil pressure. Bearings going bad?

Hello everyone, I could use some words of wisdom from you guys.

I'm having a problem that's really worrying me.

The car has a lingenfelter crate motor in it that only has 4k miles on it. About 500 miles ago, the previous owner had to go through the motor and replace all of the bearings/etc because one of the arp bolts went into the motor and caused some problems. Everything was fixed at "wall2wall" and the car was back to normal.

Now here's my problem.. yesterday I noticed the oil pressure was reading 10 psi at idle at a red light. I gave the car some throttle on my way home while keeping an eye on the gauge, and it only got up to about 35psi at full throttle.
I parked the car overnight, and I went outside this morning and started it up. Oil pressure was normal (35 psi at idle and gets up to 60-80 when i give it gas).. so I decide to go drive it around for a bit. As the car continues to get warmer and warmer, the oil psi continues to get lower and lower. Once car was at full temp, the oil psi was back to 10psi at idle. There is no weird noises or knocking.
So car was towed to a shop this morning. First thing being checked is the sending unit (which i dont think it is because it usually gets pegged out at 0 or 100 when that goes bad).

My question is... if sending unit is working properly, where do i go next? Do i just change the oil pump and hope that fixes the problem? Or should I check the clearance of the new bearings? Just trying to go the route that will cost me the least amount of money obviously..
Any advice is appreciated..thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

What weight oil is in the engine? Do you know if there is any "break-in" oil from the partial rebuild still in there?

I'd do an oil and filter change first and see if that makes any difference in your pressures. Cheap and should be done 500 miles after any kind of rebuild using break in oils anyway.

Last edited by Biggus Blockus; 01-03-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:03 PM
shawnaj7731
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it is a bad oil pressure Sensor?
Old 01-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Ditto, check actual oil pressure with a hand held gauge!!!!

As for the pressure drop if a hand gauge is showing low pressure, could be as simple as small derbies from the engine build finding it way into the oil pump relief valve channel, and not allowing the valve to close all the way (read oil pump does not need to be replaced, but instead pulled apart and cleaned instead).

Hence all it takes is a piece of RTV the size of a pin head to find it way into the relief valve to not allow it to close all the way, and the pump will not build up full pressure.

Black strings of RTV next to the quarter is all it took for one op's oil pumt to stop from building up any pressure at all. And yes, they are small enough to be sucked up past the oil pump pick up tube screen.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:43 PM
416yellowz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biggus Blockus
What weight oil is in the engine? Do you know if there is any "break-in" oil from the partial rebuild still in there?

I'd do an oil and filter change first and see if that makes any difference in your pressures. Cheap and should be done 500 miles after any kind of rebuild using break in oils anyway.
I forgot to say that the motor did have joe gibbs break in oil . However, i did change the oil/filter last night after I first noticed the problem.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

FWIW and IMO 35psi at start up on a cold engine is not normal, 50-60 is.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:18 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

My bet something is going south in your engine, could only be one bearing with excessive clearance.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:47 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

i had the exact same thing happen to my engine, I changed the oil put in a external gauge everything an the oil pressure issue didn't change. my brother kept telling me my engine was shot but I refused to believe it mainly because it was making no noise no knocking or taping or anything. finally I decided it was time so I agreed to pull the motor an take it to get repaired. the guy at the machine shop showed me the internal damage done to the motor every internal part had to be replaced the only thing that wasn't damaged was the block an he told me had I driven it much longer I would have cracked the block an all would have been lost. cause of the blown motor, the previous owner put a supercharger headers cam in it but did not get it tuned. he didn't even change the map sensor
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you getting an engine light on the DIC? My C6 did that when the oxygen sensor was bad but my engine light came on.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:33 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Don't Wait.

The hot oil pressure at idle is very low, and very indicative of excessive bearing clearances. 35psi with throttle isn't great, but acceptable. If it were me, I wouldn't run that engine again until I could drop the pan and have a look see of all rod and main bearings and journals.

It is possible to salvage the engine with custom bearing if the journals are still round. The fix could be cheap if you are lucky.

Get notified of new replies

To Low oil pressure. Bearings going bad?

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure. Bearings going bad?