C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight recall confusion, Chevy Customer care

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Headlight recall confusion, Chevy Customer care

Ok I am so confused.

First off the recall platform campaign # 14203 for corvette low beam headlights inoperative on my 2008. Others have received another recall #13146 as an example, maybe another model year?

I have been thinking that the problem was the wire breaking under the engine bay heat causing the plastic to expand and contract.

My dealership tech says that this is very rare indeed. He has had to replace the UBEC unit before due to other problems but never for the wire breaking. If the wire breaks they would just replace the wire. There have been design changes all the time with the UBEC box with the model years.

So like I said I am confused....

What this campaign does is to correct a higher than wanted grounding current. They add a jumper wire to carry some grounding load. Nothing to do about a wire breaking.

I told him off my information gathered here from Forum members and he scratches his head...repeating what I have already mentioned.

So what is it? Sounds like a few different recalls going on for headlight problems. Maybe model year dependant.

This text was posted in the sticky. I wanted to see if the Forum Customer Care Rep could shed some light.

Last edited by Boomer111; 01-06-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

So re read the information from the Bulletin put out by GM for this headlight fix.

It does mention the heat issue as well as the expanding plastic. It also states the the wire kit is a alternate grounding wire harness.

So maybe I am not as confused as I thought: Use the following steps to install an alternate ground source (jumper harness) to the low beam headlamp relay, located in the Under Hood BEC.

This highlighted information is direct from the bulletin.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6_dec-2014.pdf

Last edited by Boomer111; 01-06-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I got the 13146 letter yesterday. It says they will install a jumper wire. I'm thinking its cheaper and faster to do it that way instead of replacing the wire that may break or is broke. I'm thinking its more like a backup wire. If the original breaks the jumper will still complete the circuit.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by EVRose
I got the 13146 letter yesterday. It says they will install a jumper wire. I'm thinking its cheaper and faster to do it that way instead of replacing the wire that may break or is broke. I'm thinking its more like a backup wire. If the original breaks the jumper will still complete the circuit.
I guess I am just stuck on the wire needing to be replaced and not thinking that the ground will fix the problem.

Electrical is not one of my suits.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Sudstrain
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the same 13146 recall notice yesterday to.I am curious what Chevrolet Dealer in Las Vegas you going to take your car to?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:57 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudstrain
I got the same 13146 recall notice yesterday to.I am curious what Chevrolet Dealer in Las Vegas you going to take your car to?
If I take it it will be to Findlay Chevy at 215/Rainbow. Have had several good visits there. I'm not crazy about having something fixed that isnt broken. The car is over 10 years old and I would think if it were going to break it would have happened by now.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM
maryvillept
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received my letter today 13146. Called my dealer and they ordered the part for the fix. Guess we will see if it comes in and what it is.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I guess I am just stuck on the wire needing to be replaced and not thinking that the ground will fix the problem.

Electrical is not one of my suits.
The BCM activates the low-beam relay by pulling one side of the coil to ground. The other side is supplied positive battery voltage at all times.

This grounding circuit (no. 1970) is the one that gets interrupted when the wire breaks inside the UBEC. GM's fix is to bypass the section that runs through the UBEC with a jumper wire. So the "ground" in this case _is_ the signal that activates the low beams.

I'm not crazy about allowing a dealer tech to cut up my car's wiring harness. I would have preferred that GM swap out UBECs with reman units that they'd wire-wrapped in a controlled assembly environment.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I just got my letter and I probably won't be letting them touch my car.
My copper wire was split on the head light and the washer pump.
I found it easy enough to replace the copper in the fuse block and add a backup wire.
GM's quick fix does look like their easy way out.
No worries. The next owner of my car can get the recall done.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by torquetube
The BCM activates the low-beam relay by pulling one side of the coil to ground. The other side is supplied positive battery voltage at all times.

This grounding circuit (no. 1970) is the one that gets interrupted when the wire breaks inside the UBEC. GM's fix is to bypass the section that runs through the UBEC with a jumper wire. So the "ground" in this case _is_ the signal that activates the low beams.

I'm not crazy about allowing a dealer tech to cut up my car's wiring harness. I would have preferred that GM swap out UBECs with reman units that they'd wire-wrapped in a controlled assembly environment.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this for me and others.

It all makes sense now other than the different recall numbers for the same seemingly issue.

The tread/post count on this subject is just crazy and I have participated way more than my share.

I think we all have a better understanding now.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Sudstrain
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I take it it will be to Findlay Chevy at 215/Rainbow. Have had several good visits there. I'm not crazy about having something fixed that isnt broken. The car is over 10 years old and I would think if it were going to break it would have happened by now.
Thanks for info.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I got a letter in the mail too the last couple of days, looks like it'll take 51 minutes. I will have to get it done in late April or early May when it's out to play.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:01 AM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If I do the jumper myself, I think I'll use a stranded rather than solid conductor. Much less susceptible to fatigue breaking...
Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I also received my letter yesterday. I called the dealer to schedule an appointment and they said it would be 3-4 weeks before they get the part and will call me when it comes in. 3-4 weeks? Really?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:52 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Did you want to get GM's fix or did you just want to argue with them about what you thought the problem was? GM saw an issue didn't want you sitting in the dark bitchin' at them, offer a free fix and you go in and argue with them? my 06 has NEVER shown this issue, got a letter in the mail, called the dealer{who I didn't buy the car from} and WA-LA fix applied and I go on my merry way without EVER having a problem, DUH? who gives a happy crap about the rest?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Otherslost
I also received my letter yesterday. I called the dealer to schedule an appointment and they said it would be 3-4 weeks before they get the part and will call me when it comes in. 3-4 weeks? Really?
GEE you think you could give them FIVE MINUTES to make 200'000 parts, what you think your green beans are grown in the can?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
GEE you think you could give them FIVE MINUTES to make 200'000 parts, what you think your green beans are grown in the can?
If the recall notice I received did not state that the parts were now available I would not have said anything.

Is your real name Richard Cranium?

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight recall confusion, Chevy Customer care

Old 01-07-2015, 01:50 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,667 Posts

A forum member found the problem (broken ground wire) and ran a new wire to fix the problem.
He also ran a second wire on the under side, so he would have 2 wires in case 1 broke again.
GM will probably just run the extra wire and leave the other in place.
Here is a pic of where the wire breaks with expansion due to the tight turn of the wire.

Resistance of broken circuit

Broken Wire Location

Resistance of Good Circuit

New Wire installed

Extra Wire installed on underside

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-07-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:06 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not crazy about having something fixed that isnt broken. The car is over 10 years old and I would think if it were going to break it would have happened by now.
My thoughts exactly.
I will pass on this BS recall.

Same player shoots again GM..... (with the fuel sending unit next, maybe?)
Old 01-07-2015, 08:27 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Did you want to get GM's fix or did you just want to argue with them about what you thought the problem was? GM saw an issue didn't want you sitting in the dark bitchin' at them, offer a free fix and you go in and argue with them? my 06 has NEVER shown this issue, got a letter in the mail, called the dealer{who I didn't buy the car from} and WA-LA fix applied and I go on my merry way without EVER having a problem, DUH? who gives a happy crap about the rest?
Some of us do give a happy crap about what is being done to our cars. If there is a discrepancy about the type of work that will be performed, we'd like clarification. If he thought there were 2 different fixes being performed, why wouldn't he ask?

I've brought cars into the dealer and I had to tell them about the recall or TSB. Then they look it up and say, "Oh yeah. We can do that".

Last edited by 5knives; 01-07-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight recall confusion, Chevy Customer care