C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Sticks in Park - not a 2005

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default Shifter Sticks in Park - not a 2005

Hi Gents,

New problem struck me this weekend. The shifter will not move out of park. I have a 2009 and I see from searching this is a VERY common issue on the 2005. I only saw a few non-2005 post with this problem.

I am guessing the main areas to look at are the switches on the brake pedal and the shifter? Not sure if the C6 has two switches on the brake like the C4 but I guess I will find out first before looking at the shifter.

On the 2005, I see there are two solutions. First is you can bypass the lock altogether by tying back a pawl in the shifter but then you loose your park lockout. The other "fix" seems to be replacing the entire shifter for like $700? ARGH! Leave it to Gooberment Motors to not be able to replace just a solenoid.

Can anyone that does not have a 2005 with this problem please chime in and let me know if there is another solution?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Actually, I see the shifter mechanism for the 2009 is apparently part number 20916956 and is under $200.

Last edited by Flame Red; 01-26-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Hi Gents,

New problem struck me this weekend. The shifter will not move out of park. I have a 2009 and I see from searching this is a VERY common issue on the 2005. I only saw a few non-2005 post with this problem.

I am guessing the main areas to look at are the switches on the brake pedal and the shifter? Not sure if the C6 has two switches on the brake like the C4 but I guess I will find out first before looking at the shifter.

On the 2005, I see there are two solutions. First is you can bypass the lock altogether by tying back a pawl in the shifter but then you loose your park lockout. The other "fix" seems to be replacing the entire shifter for like $700? ARGH! Leave it to Gooberment Motors to not be able to replace just a solenoid.

Can anyone that does not have a 2005 with this problem please chime in and let me know if there is another solution?

Thanks in advance!
There are NO switches on the brake or shifter. The BCM computer watches the actual position of the brake pedal and to determine how hard you are pushing on it and, therefor, whether or not it is depressed. You would get a message in the Driver Information Center (DIC) if it did not see the brake pedal moving. The ECM computer watches the transmission internal logic to see if it has been commanded to change gears or is between positions. The ECM is what tells the transmission what to do.

Do another search. Your issue is almost always the shift cable.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Brake pedal sensor?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Check with Cultrag Performance. They have a shift cable for $42.
http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/c...-control-cable

From what I have read it is the cable that goes bad most of the time.
Call Gene and talk to him.

GL
Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the feed back. I was not aware the BCM controlled this. No messages on the DIC. When I press the brakes, I see the rear brake lights do come on. Since the engine starts fine with the brake pressed, I assume the brake sensor is ok?

I see I was not very clear in my original post. I can eventually get the thing out of Park, eventually. If feels as though the shifter is locked Like you cannot push the button in all the way. That could still be the cable? I had a GMC truck where the shifter cable went bad and the first time it went, there was no way of getting it out of park at all. The shifter would move but it could not move the tranny out of park on that truck.

Once I get it out of park, it seems fine. No problem changing gears. Thus I though it was something electrical. It does not occur every time I try to shift.

Last edited by Flame Red; 01-26-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

You can do the same fix procedure as is done on the 05. It works the same.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
You can do the same fix procedure as is done on the 05. It works the same.
Worked on my 08! Here's all you need to know.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-finally.html
Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Hi Gents,

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Actually, I see the shifter mechanism for the 2009 is apparently part number 20916956 and is under $200.
It's the same procedure for the 06-13. The Pawl tab locks the shifter in park. I'm not sure a new shifter will not eventually do the same thing.
I have attached a PDF, which explains why it happens and the fix.
Although my 2006 shifter has been stuck a few times, I did manage to force it out without breaking anything. Since I had my console out to replace the shifter boot, I decided it was time to tie back the pawl to stop it from ever happening again.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-26-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Thank you all for your valuable insight.

Please see if this makes sense. The car never did this before. I could immediately shift out of park after the car started. It is the button that is locked. Once I get it out of park it shift normally and there is no problem so I don't think it is the cable. If I understand properly from the other threads, the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver provides ground for the Solenoid to activate. Assuming there are no electrical problems, I should see this occur when I take it apart. If it supplies ground and the voltage is there, I am guessing the solenoid is going bad. But one cannot buy just the solenoid from GM. I see part number 20916956 for the whole shifter is under $200. Looks like it can be challenging to remove and is easy to break the tranny cable, but it can be replaced without having to go underneath the car and removing the exhaust, tunnel cover, etc. like you would have to for the cable.

So my choice is to either neuter the lockout as so kindly documented or spend about $200 for the shifter and do a lot of knuckle busting and innovative cursing?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Yep, one fix is simple, free and permanent and the other is not as simple, expensive and may happen again. Seems like an easy decision to me.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:48 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EVRose
Yep, one fix is simple, free and permanent and the other is not as simple, expensive and may happen again. Seems like an easy decision to me.
I made the choice that was free and easy to do. I never have to worry about a solenoid going bad, or getting stuck in Park, or Neutral.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

It wasn't that many decades ago that there was no "lockout" on autos. It is only the result of the more recent "Nanny-State" mentality in Washington that seeks to control everything in our lives, including how we operate our cars.

So far my '07 is fine, but with the first inkling of a shift problem I will take it apart, disable the pawl and never look back.

I have been saving all the threads and documents from this site regarding this problem since I bought my car last year (and am still reading new threads like this one). When/if the time comes I will have all the info I need.

to all!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Gents,

I had the same problem with my 2008 and the fix was to replace the expensive shifter. Sorry about that
Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

The Pawl tab locks the shifter in park. I'm not sure a new shifter will not eventually do the same thing.
Although my 2006 shifter has been stuck a few times, I did manage to force it out without breaking anything. Since I had my console out to replace the shifter boot, I decided it was time to tie back the pawl to stop it from ever happening again.
Hope it helps.

I have a 2008 and with the information I found on this forum I took off the console and it looked like grime and dirt stuck the pawl down. (I have a vert) ... I cleaned and lubed it with with teflon dry spray that seems to have fixed it. It has stuck once since, but a soon as I released the shift lever for an instant it worked again. (I think if you pull on the lever before you get the brake all the way starts the problem.)

IMHO - I'd lube it or just tie it back and save the $200 bucks.

Last edited by Dutch08; 01-26-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I broke my '06 A6 shifter by forcing it too hard to get it out of park.

The new one cost $178 and I DIY'd the replacement.

I had never had my center console out before, but by using the wealth of information available on the Forum I was able to do the swap in a couple hours. Could probably do it in half the time now.

With the new shifter, I find I need to give it a little forward push before pulling it back out of Park. You can give that a try with yours as well.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:21 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

man...I didn't hesitate to lock that pawl back even tho mine wasn't giving me any problems. it's just that its more than likely if/when it does happen it would have occurred in an inopportune time and not at home in my garage where my tools are. plus...nobody drives my car except me.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It's the same procedure for the 06-13. The Pawl tab locks the shifter in park. I'm not sure a new shifter will not eventually do the same thing.
Hope it helps.
This was an AWESOME post. Your instructions allowed me to fix this exact issue. I drilled a small hole in the pawl and ran a wire to the center console. This allows me to maintain the function of the locking mechanism yet gives me an 'override' should the issue occur again.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:19 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snagle
This was an AWESOME post. Your instructions allowed me to fix this exact issue. I drilled a small hole in the pawl and ran a wire to the center console. This allows me to maintain the function of the locking mechanism yet gives me an 'override' should the issue occur again.
The best of both world's. You have the ability of unlocking the pawl if the solenoid ever gives you any issues. I thought about doing the exact same thing, but just tied it back semi-permanently.

Great job

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter Sticks in Park - not a 2005

Quick Reply: Shifter Sticks in Park - not a 2005