C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 AM
psaboic
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New purchase question

Hi folks,

Sorry for the cross-post, but for some reason the first time I posted this it ended up in the ZR1 sub-forum.....Anyway, new member here. I'm a C3 and C4 past owner, but I am looking at a really nice C6 and would like some info/opinions. The car is a 2005 Daytona Sunset Orange model with the 6 speed manual, and glass roof. I checked the NHSTA website and plugged in the VIN of the car and it looks like the roof recall and the low beam light recall has been done already. Car has 39,400 miles on it and they want $23,999 for it. According to the CarFax I would be the third owner and the car has been sitting at the dealer since last July. Car has lived in the Seattle/Portland area since it was purchased.

My questions are.....good deal (yes/no) What should I especially look for (or look out for) when I check it out, and do you see any potential problems with the lower mileage and the fact that it has been sitting for a bit. I plan to push for a new battery and possibly tires depending on how they look.

Really looking for some good advice here before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance for any help

Glenn
Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Just curious what option package the car has, if it's a fully loaded and you could make the deal with a new set of tires i think you would be doing good, one of the common issues among a lot of Vette's is the harmonic balancers going bad a $1200.00 repair, take a look to see if you have any wobble or chirping sounds with the engine idling, they say some or a slight wobble may be normal, if not sure get a mechanic to check it out, i have a 2005 myself with 26k on the odometer, no problems with a low mileage car, i bought mine 3 years ago with 18k on it and it has been a great car, Good Luck with your decision.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:52 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

with checking the balancer and the tread and date of the tires. I would add a new battery. Get it, enjoy it and welcome.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:30 AM
psaboic
Advanced

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
Just curious what option package the car has, if it's a fully loaded and you could make the deal with a new set of tires i think you would be doing good, one of the common issues among a lot of Vette's is the harmonic balancers going bad a $1200.00 repair, take a look to see if you have any wobble or chirping sounds with the engine idling, they say some or a slight wobble may be normal, if not sure get a mechanic to check it out, i have a 2005 myself with 26k on the odometer, no problems with a low mileage car, i bought mine 3 years ago with 18k on it and it has been a great car, Good Luck with your decision.
I believe it is a base model. As for the harmonic balancer, is it a DIY job, or does it require special tools that only the dealer has or can afford. If it is a DIY job, could someone point me to a good write up if there is one?

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 02-01-2015, 01:09 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by psaboic
I believe it is a base model. As for the harmonic balancer, is it a DIY job, or does it require special tools that only the dealer has or can afford. If it is a DIY job, could someone point me to a good write up if there is one?

Thanks,

Glenn
Unless you have mechanical capabilities it is not a do it yourself job, you have to move a few things out of the way like the steering rack etc to get to it, there are quite a few write ups on how to do it though if you search, you don't need too many specialized tools, but a puller, a tool to install the balancer, all available at most stores or check out Summit Racing, but before getting worried that there is a problem have it checked out a lot of people have had no issues with them, just one of the items to check before purchasing, and if you see a wobble may be able to use it as a negotiating point, i have a DSOM 2005 Vette myself, i think it's one of the best colors out there, but i'm bias of course
Old 02-01-2015, 01:28 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I agree with the above posts. I sold my '05 after 45,000 trouble free miles.
Look at the inside of the glove box door for the list of options on the car...then come on back for decoding, if needed.
Price seems ok for the PNW.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:53 PM
psaboic
Advanced

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
Unless you have mechanical capabilities it is not a do it yourself job, you have to move a few things out of the way like the steering rack etc to get to it, there are quite a few write ups on how to do it though if you search, you don't need too many specialized tools, but a puller, a tool to install the balancer, all available at most stores or check out Summit Racing, but before getting worried that there is a problem have it checked out a lot of people have had no issues with them, just one of the items to check before purchasing, and if you see a wobble may be able to use it as a negotiating point, i have a DSOM 2005 Vette myself, i think it's one of the best colors out there, but i'm bias of course
I do have mechanical ability, as I have been working on cars (and rebuilding a few) for the last 30 years. I just tend to prefer not to "re-invent the wheel" if someone has already done the job. I definitely will check it out and see before I worry about it, but any info on difficulty of repair and or cost if needed would be a great negotiating point.

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 02-01-2015, 04:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Harmonic balancer, the really knowledgeable Corvette shops (or any shop that's done it a lot) will be in the $450 range and up. but the other shops incl. dealers will be closer to $1K.

If you want lots of info, go to search in red bar above, go to advanced search, top left side will have key words. Use words like, Harmonic Balancer, '05 problems, etc. and limit it to C6 Gen, and Tech. There are probably 5-20 threads per week for the last 9+ years. Take your pick. You will become incredibly informed, moreso than asking the question you did above. Seriously. And good luck.

Last edited by AORoads; 02-01-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:51 PM
zero11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds ok ,but getting new tires good luck. Most of the dealers around that have clean used vettes that need tires won't change them.

Get notified of new replies

To New purchase question

Quick Reply: New purchase question