C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Touring vs NPP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Borla Touring vs NPP?

Hey.

Previous heavily modded Mustang owner, I'm a bit bored by the sound of my stock C6 LS3 w/ GCA (genuine corvette accesories) exhaust. I heard that this was somewhat equivalent to the quiet Borla versions, like the Touring?

Anyway, the car is way to quiet. I really like the option of replacing it by a NPP, but is the NPP much better than the GCA exhaust? Should I directly go with custom cutouts?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcessiv
Hey.

Previous heavily modded Mustang owner, I'm a bit bored by the sound of my stock C6 LS3 w/ GCA (genuine corvette accesories) exhaust. I heard that this was somewhat equivalent to the quiet Borla versions, like the Touring?

Anyway, the car is way to quiet. I really like the option of replacing it by a NPP, but is the NPP much better than the GCA exhaust? Should I directly go with custom cutouts?

Thanks
My 2007 automatic with longtubes, cats and Borla touring has a nice sound but has a pronounced drone at highway cruise about 1200 to 1500 RPM. the drone is really bad when the engine is under load in that RPM range. Wifey will not ride in the car unless I run in 5th gear above the "Drone Zone". I understand that Corsa does not have this problem or the issue is much less pronounced.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by cmonkey713

My 2007 automatic with longtubes, cats and Borla touring has a nice sound but has a pronounced drone at highway cruise about 1200 to 1500 RPM.

The drone is really bad when the engine is under load in that RPM range.
Now you have me worried!

I have a 2011 GS (A6) with a set of Pfadt headers, X-pipe and cats ... UPS will be delivering a Borla Touring axle-back muffler system today that I will replace my NPP exhaust with.

Now I am worried this Borla Touring will have a highway drone.

The Touring is supposed to be there quietest muffler system.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Now you have me worried!

I have a 2011 GS (A6) with a set of Pfadt headers, X-pipe and cats ... UPS will be delivering a Borla Touring axle-back muffler system today that I will replace my NPP exhaust with.

Now I am worried this Borla Touring will have a highway drone.

The Touring is supposed to be there quietest muffler system.
I've read that it is...on a car in stock configuration.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Xcessiv
Instructor

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
I've read that it is...on a car in stock configuration.
X2.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:35 AM
h2oskiman
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think anything you can't switch open or close will drone somewhere in the rpm range. I have ar headers high flow cats and Z06 mufflers it's loud when I want it and no drone at highways speeds. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-11-2015, 01:09 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the best of both worlds...M2W switch on NPP. Quiet for highway cruising and louder when I want it...

MT
Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Xcessiv
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTsVette
I have the best of both worlds...M2W switch on NPP. Quiet for highway cruising and louder when I want it...

MT
Just how louder? Borla Touring loud or considerably louder?

Never heard one in person and I want to install the parts during Canada's hard winter.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:44 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

op...sounds like the stock z06 mufflers will fit the bill for you. they are not as deep/loud sounding as the npp.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:18 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I think you would probably like the NPP option or you might want to try the Borla S-Type II.

I have had both and they are similar in loudness. Borla S-Type II possibly being slightly louder at highway speeds

The Borla Touring would be too tame for you I would guess.

Also, the Borla S-Type II does not drone at highway speeds but the NPP option will need to be in quiet mode or it will drone some at highway cruising speeds.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Why bother with any of the Touring models, still pretty tame. NPP is good if you want headers then you will use the switch otherwise I had mine open all the time. I would go with Corsa Extremes or Borla S2 (new style). Bullets drone you insane. I've owned 2 C6's with NPP, Bullets, Borla Stingers, Corsa Sports and now Corsa Extremes.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Xcessiv
Instructor

Originally Posted by rckt
Why bother with any of the Touring models, still pretty tame. NPP is good if you want headers then you will use the switch otherwise I had mine open all the time. I would go with Corsa Extremes or Borla S2 (new style). Bullets drone you insane. I've owned 2 C6's with NPP, Bullets, Borla Stingers, Corsa Sports and now Corsa Extremes.
What if I don't want headers for now? The NPP would be too quiet, even opened? I'm looking for a sound that would be on the loud, agressive side when opened.

I should then go with cutouts?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:44 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

My car came with a Borla exhaust but I'm not sure which model is there a way to tell from looking at it?
I do like the sound but as others have said it does drone on the highway and my wife doesn't like it on the highway!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:26 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcessiv
What if I don't want headers for now? The NPP would be too quiet, even opened? I'm looking for a sound that would be on the loud, agressive side when opened.

I should then go with cutouts?
I love my extremes but would love the new atak's also. It is preference in sound you have to listen to. No headers skip the mellow touring, npp, etc, exhausts. Never had cutouts.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Davids65
My car came with a Borla exhaust but I'm not sure which model is there a way to tell from looking at it?
I do like the sound but as others have said it does drone on the highway and my wife doesn't like it on the highway!
You can definitely tell by looking at it from underneath the car. The way the exhaust is mounted and pipes are run are completely different on the newer Borla exhaust from the older style.

Just 'google" for photos of Borla exhaust or go to there website. They probably have photos of both old and new styles.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
You can definitely tell by looking at it from underneath the car. The way the exhaust is mounted and pipes are run are completely different on the newer Borla exhaust from the older style.

Just 'google" for photos of Borla exhaust or go to there website. They probably have photos of both old and new styles.
Best I can tell it's a Borla 11766 Cat back "S Type" I don't know if this model has a name like some of the others.

I do like the sound I don't think it has any benefit to the power but it sounds cool!

Get notified of new replies

To Borla Touring vs NPP?

Quick Reply: Borla Touring vs NPP?