C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What luggage best fits in a C6 convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What luggage best fits in a C6 convertible?

I picked up a very low mileage '13 427 last year and have done a have done a few trips in it. The luggage I currently have worked fine in my 72 convertible and the 427, but for two week touring trips, its not optimal. I am curious what other C6 convertible owners are using for trips exceeding 2 weeks duration. Our two week trip to Key West and Daytona showed my wife and I that we should be able to go for longer trips, if we had better shaped luggage. What shape, size and brand are you guys using for long trips? Where did you get it?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You may have to be patient for responses this weekend.

I'll just get you started on some things to think about. Luggage was a common topic 18 months ago when the first C7's hit the street. And the "Corvette Luggage" was the major topic.

I don't know how much difference there is in the size of the C7 vert trunk vs the C6 but IF there is a difference I don't think it's much. I also don't know if C6 luggage was ever available. So, just some things to look at and think about.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-plates.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...long-post.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-luggage.html
Old 02-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Phlash
Racer

Default Thanks

Rick,

Thanks for a quick reply. I should have included that I really don't care if the luggage is monogrammed with the Corvette logo's or not. The main thing I am looking for is to make use of every cubic inch of trunk space. I have a few duffles and leather bags that work, but if they are packed very tight, they can put enough pressure on the divider that protects the rag top that it pops loose and keeps the power top limit switch from allowing the top to operate. My bags are a little bit too big. I have looked at a lot of bags this winter and haven't found anything much better than what I have. I was hoping others have found a bag that is JUST RIGHT!
Thanks again
Phlash

Originally Posted by RicK T
You may have to be patient for responses this weekend.

I'll just get you started on some things to think about. Luggage was a common topic 18 months ago when the first C7's hit the street. And the "Corvette Luggage" was the major topic.

I don't know how much difference there is in the size of the C7 vert trunk vs the C6 but IF there is a difference I don't think it's much. I also don't know if C6 luggage was ever available. So, just some things to look at and think about.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-plates.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...long-post.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-luggage.html
Old 02-13-2015, 11:16 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

You should be able to fit two maximum airplane size carry-on pieces, and you'll be pretty snug at that point, with a little room for assorted much smaller and/or flatter items laid on top or wedged between. After that you're out of room.

Last edited by v26278; 02-13-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:13 AM
97titan
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 89 Posts

We use 3-4 duffel bags, they stack tighter than formed luggage with wheels and handles. This allows us to put the top down.

Also helps if you travel with friends that drive coupes.

Last edited by 97titan; 02-14-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:22 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I see some good suggestions above. I also saw Rick Steves' recent specials on PBS where he says, throw out, or don't take everything you think you need, and know that you're either A) going to wash underclothes, or B) buy something that you need. Now, obviously w. a convert. you're not taking everything you WANT for two weeks. Frankly, I'll say that compared to my throw-everything-in-the-back SUV, I don't think I, alone, could go for two weeks in my C6 without serious clothes washings. And the C7 allegedly has slightly less space, both the coupe and the convertible, for storage---hard to believe they designed it that way.

That said, I happen to have both old and new luggage. The old stuff made of "dernier" and "ballistic" nylon seems to be the best for the convertible. I think I finally got rid of the Hartman's folding suit carrier which would've worked well under the partition with the top down. Remember: with the top up, you can unclip the top partition, put it down and store (more) things on it, and under.

So, while I don't use a true, rounded-edge, duffel (I do have a square-ish, expandable, duffel-style bag that I have used in the past in the trunk), I do use very soft sided, and bendable/flexible/crushable luggage. Others have said roll-ons will work but to me, it takes up too much space by itself, whereas a soft-side can get more "stuff" in it.

Finally, as you know the left and right sides have the curved portion in the fender; the more flexible the little or large bag is, the more you can cram stuff into those areas. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Just use soft bags and pack them in. You can't do any better than that. If I'm driving, I will even stuff a few wal Mart bags.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:57 AM
thomaswat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I will take a coast to coast trip at least once a year and we have found that the duffel bags are the way to go. Since we are on the road, I'll sometimes wear a shirt for two days and Bermuda shorts for two or three days. After about a week we'll stay in a motel that has a laundry and my wife will wash underwear, socks, shirts, pants, etc.. (Always take wash and wear stuff) We have no need for creased pants and freshly ironed shirts so for us, this system works great. We also tried those vacuum type bags and found the duffel bags work better for us, however those vacuum bags will slide under top space if needed.
As an observation......the wife says my 2012 Vert is the most comfortable car she has ever ridden in and I have owned some really nice cars. We try to go a different route across the country each trip and leave from N.C. around mid May or the first part of June so we can encounter all types of weather in the mountains Be sure to pack a jacket.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:32 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

My wife and I take 5000 to 6000 mile 3 + week trips in our 2010 convertible, and we pack our stuff in two ballistic nylon, rounded shaped duffel bags. We also take my DSL camera, flash, and a small tripod and a laptop computer. Shoes and the tripod and stuff are located in the corners of the trunk. I also take two large towels to wash the car each morning, and 2 or 3 $10 rolls of quarters for the DIY carwash.

There is room UNDER the folded down top to pack a sport coat, pants and a dress in a hanging bag. We always travel with the top down, and put it up only at night or in heavy rain.

ALL our clothes are Quick Dry Nylon, and we carry around three changes, and we wash them out each night in the hotel bathroom sink with Woolite. This includes socks, underwear, pants, shorts, shirts and blouses. We carry along a heavier jacket and a couple small travel umbrellas.

Sources of clothes and travel accessories are:

http://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.as...750&T1=MTL461R Buy two of these clothes lines. They also have lots of travel clothes.

http://http://www.exofficio.com/ Another good travel clothes site.

http://www.cabelas.com/ They have better prices on the Quick Dry Clothes. Try the pants with the zip off bottom legs which become shorts. Good for travel, and for dressing up a bit for dinner. Shop for the 100% nylon clothes.

Don't be afraid to travel light. You can always buy something if you need it. Every trip we take less stuff than the time before.

We did 12 days in Ireland with just one small carryon rolling bag each, and I carried my ipad and camera and Nook in a small computer backpack. The quick dry clothes were the key to small bags. For Europe you also need a set of converter plugs for the iphone/ipad chargers, I got those at Magellans.

Here's why I carry a tripod, to get pics of ourselves, this is White Sands NM. I'm wearing the Cabelas zip off leg pants, and a fishing shirt from Cabelas. I like the long sleeves to keep from getting sunburned, and the sleeves roll up to retainer loops. Most of the shirts are UV proof.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:42 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Soft-side duffel bags and tote bags are your best bet. The C6 convertible trunk space is considerably smaller than the C5 we previously owned. When we bought the C6, I did a lot of luggage shopping online at the likes of the NCM Store, Mid-America, West Coast Corvette, etc. Most of the luggage shown on these sites will have the dimensions listed. A tape measure is your best friend. Know the dimensions of the available trunk space (with the convertible top partition in place) and you can visualize how different bags will fit.

We went on the National Corvette Caravan to Bowling Green last year, then stayed in the southeast for another two weeks before heading back to the Pacific Northwest. We were on the road a total of 31 days. We each pack enough clothes for 5 days, knowing that we need to wash clothes at least once a week.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm learnin'....^^^^^ from you all above! Keep on postin'.....
Old 02-14-2015, 12:55 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett;1588959428[B
]Soft-side duffel bags and tote bags are your best bet.[/B] The C6 convertible trunk space is considerably smaller than the C5 we previously owned. When we bought the C6, I did a lot of luggage shopping online at the likes of the NCM Store, Mid-America, West Coast Corvette, etc. Most of the luggage shown on these sites will have the dimensions listed. A tape measure is your best friend. Know the dimensions of the available trunk space (with the convertible top partition in place) and you can visualize how different bags will fit.

We went on the National Corvette Caravan to Bowling Green last year, then stayed in the southeast for another two weeks before heading back to the Pacific Northwest. We were on the road a total of 31 days. We each pack enough clothes for 5 days, knowing that we need to wash clothes at least once a week.

Exactly what the Wifey, and I use. We have found the ticket is to pack like we're going on a four day trip (much like duck), then plan on washing cloths when needed. The good thing about most of the chain hotels is they have washer/dryers for folks. Many are free, the rest at reasonable prices. I tell folks that packing the truck on a C6 Vert is like one of those little plastic square games that have sliding tiles in them. Move one piece left, one up, one right.....

Also, the Wifey found one of the old cosmetic cases from back in the 60's that we put our toothpaste, etc. in. We also have a small cooler to carry water, and a cloth grocery bag for snacks, and things. It all fits with a little room to spare. The great thing about traveling in a Corvette is there's no room for the Wifey to buy the ever important nick-knacks (thank goodness).

We've done Route 66 twice, and many other shorter duration trips with no problems.
Name:  Route66trip041_zpsa6797352.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  138.2 KB

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 02-14-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:08 PM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

The wife and I use a large duffle we purchased from Chevy Mall and it works really great when you roll your clothes. We also have a separate bag for personal hygiene items and another one for shoes. Of course they are soft bags also. We also take our laptop and put it in a sleeve versus the bag because it will fit under the divider board. We fit two small bag chairs under the divider board and carry a small cooler big enough for six bottles of water. We did a 5,000 mile round trip from our house to the Petrified Forrest NP, Grand Canyon NP, Death Valley NP, Yosemite NP, Kings Canyon NP, Sequoia NP, Bonneville Salt Flats and then home and had enough clothing for the full 15 days we were gone.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

As mentioned soft bags, duffel type works well.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:09 AM
User22
Advanced

You could look at e bags packing cubes. We use them in my wifes MX5. They utilize every square inch.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:13 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

cbfs, those are good ideas. I especially like the other products they have that have handles. Very economical, too.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:49 AM
User22
Advanced

My wife and I each have 2 sets. Each set containing a S,M and a L. Even the smalls have handles. Hers are pink, mine are green. No problem telling them apart.
When on, the road, travelling day to day, we each pack one for the next days clothes. That way that's all you need to drag into the motel.

Last edited by User22; 02-15-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What luggage best fits in a C6 convertible?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Wetrudgeon
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

We bought four medium size soft bags at WalMart and had the C6 logo embroidered on each. Total cost approx $150. Look good and work well for trips of less than one week. More than a week, coin op laundry is indicated.

We trudge on.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,838 Likes on 1,971 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

We just throw some stuff into a couple of brown paper bags.....we don't bother with underwear since we don't wear any or socks.......just a couple of loud old Hawaiian shirts and some cut off jean shorts......we don't need to wash anything we are on vacation..... The car is always spotless though........

J/K........ My wife alone can fill up the back of our GS coupe with her stuff.....she tried to bring the iron once but I told her no.....the motels will have an iron....geez.....so my stuff goes into the brown paper bag.......

Last edited by Huskerman; 02-15-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerman
We just throw some stuff into a couple of brown paper bags.....we don't bother with underwear since we don't wear any or socks.......just a couple of loud old Hawaiian shirts and some cut off jean shorts......we don't need to wash anything we are on vacation..... The car is always spotless though........

J/K........ My wife alone can fill up the back of our GS coupe with her stuff.....she tried to bring the iron once but I told her no.....the motels will have an iron....geez.....so my stuff goes into the brown paper bag.......
I just knew I wasn't the only one.

Quick Reply: What luggage best fits in a C6 convertible?