C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:09 PM
thomaswat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flowmaster exhaust

Has anyone tried the Flowmaster mufflers on their C-6 ? I just bought a couple of used ones listed on Craigslist and not sure when I'll get around to installing them. Just curious as to how you like the way they sound. Also wonder how much trouble it is to install them. Are the original pipes hard to get loose at the clamps. I don't want to cut them unless absolutely necessary.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:26 PM
05blkbeauty
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

These are the 2 pipe Flowmasters on my '05 Coupe, I like the way they look , and their sound is a little better than stock, but not really loud- not much drone on the highway.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:27 PM
05blkbeauty
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

These are the 2 pipe Flowmasters on my '05 Coupe, I like the way they look , and their sound is a little better than stock, but not really loud- not much drone on the highway.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 PM
zero11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know how Flowmasters would perform on a C6 ,but I have the full Flowmasters exhaust on my 68 Chevelle big block.Great sound ,good performance. Good luck on your project.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:35 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have them on the Vette, but my youngest boy has Flowmasters on his Dodge Charger. Sound is fantastic. Much deeper and throatier than my Vette with stock NPP...
Old 02-23-2015, 11:32 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee about 9 years ago and the first thing I did was to put on a Flowmaster. It really made it sound great. Then I put an AIRAID cold air intake and it REALLY sounded good and aggressive.

For my Vette, I decided on Corsa Sport because that's what I'd had on my C5 and liked that sound.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I had a '99 TransAm that I put Flowmasters on. It was LOUD, but sounded great.

Moved up to a C5 and installed Borla Stingers. Not as loud as TA was, sounded just as good if not better, but had some highway drone.

On '07 C6 I went with Flowmaster "American Thunder" 17427 Exhaust. Decision was helped by the price (Flowmasters aren't full stainless like most others), but I'm glad I did it because they sound GREAT and have very little drone in a Z51 C6.

In my current '12 GS I have NPP with old school M2W dead pedal switch. When open it isn't as loud as the Flowmasters were, and it isn't quite as agressive sounding, but still sounds pretty good to me and has zero drone.

I'd bet that you'll like the way they sound
Old 02-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Running Flows on my '68 Plymouth (headers, 12" lead pipe, Flows and a 12" exit with a turn down) that sound perfect.

I've heard numerous sound bites of them on a C6. It is an option I am considering as well. I like the deep tone of the Flows.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM
RandelB
Pro

Received 580 Likes on 245 Posts

Default Sound is very subjective

I had the single outlet Flowmasters on my car for several years. I love the typical Flowmaster deep tone as opposed to the Corsa. Remember, sound is VERY subjective. It's kinda like favorite colors. To each, his own.

I replaced the Flowmasters with factory NPP just last year. Several reasons: 1) cabin drone at 1500 rpm got to be just too much, 2) switchability of quiet to louder and back.

I too, bought used mufflers. The yahoo that first put them together messed up and did not have the pipe completely into the muffler and then the very substantial clamps provided by Flowmaster crushed the muffler side and prevented full engagement of the pipe. Flowmaster does not make these mufflers from cheap, flimsy material. It took several hours of work to repair the mufflers for full engagement. Check out the fit before you start. Make sure you can slip that pipe into the muffler BEFORE you are putting them on the car. If needed, take them to a muffler shop and ask them to expand the muffler side of the joint for easier assembly.

As for the sound? I like 'em. Deep, powerful sound without the screaming tinnyness of others, but not so loud as to irritate your neighbors.

Get notified of new replies

To Flowmaster exhaust

Quick Reply: Flowmaster exhaust