C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch chatter versus differential chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Clutch chatter versus differential chatter?

I've seen a good number of posts about both clutch chatter and differential chatter and I am wondering if they feel the same or can you clearly tell the difference and, if so, how?

My used '05 had a wonky clutch that seemed to slip a bit in 1st gear and chatter on inclines like when going up a parking structure or highway on ramp. Got it replaced with an OEM kit (disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, slave cylinder and pilot bushing) and it seemed to be fine for a week or so but the overall results were not long lived.

I've also changed my diff fluid a couple times and each time the car seems to drive better.... for a couple weeks... then the chattering comes back. So I'm thinking maybe it's not the clutch but the diff instead.

The car does not drive particularly great in 1st. I release the clutch and it catches with the car moving forward a bit but it sort of stops and seems to slip then catch again so I have this "dual catch" feel. I've been driving a stick for 34 years so I know how. But this still feels like a clutch issue.

As I drive around on the weekends and it warms up, it gets worse with my 1st gear starts just annoying me more and more. Finally when I get home and drive into the garage on my normally-inclined driveway, the car shudders and the clutch (I think) just chatters up a storm as I slowly dive in. Still seems like a clutch issue.

But when changing the diff fluid, it seems to be better for a bit so is this really a diff issue? I can't tell and I don't know really how to diagnose and tell the difference between the two chattering symptoms.

Thoughts?

I'm using Royal Purple in the diff. Maybe I need to switch to the OEM fluid and additive instead. Or maybe add the additive to the Royal Purple. I've also done the figure 8's right after the change so I'm following the directions.

I don't want to do another clutch job just to check as that's a bit pricey.

Maybe this is better in the tech forum but I thought I'd start here.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 02-24-2015, 04:29 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Not sure if this will help you any, but my '07 was one of the ones with the improper rear end oil from the factory, caused the clutch packs to occasionally bind and POP loose. I felt an obvious jerk/lunge when it happened, but it was always after the car had been sitting for a while (overnight), and it only happened just once when I first started moving. Dealer replaced lube with the proper stuff, I did figure 8's (and a few donuts), problem went away.

When the slipping happens are you going straight, or do you have the front wheels turned a good bit? If turned it could just be the normal pushing caused by the extra wide tires.

If you can recreate it at will, I'd ask for the best manual tranny guy at a high volume service dept to sit in the car with you while you demonstrate, then let him drive to repeat it.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM
maustin195
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Possibly clutch chatter from rear main seal leak. I had one that acted like that from oil on the clutch disc.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:20 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

The correct OEM fluid does not require an additive. This is what most of us used to correct the rear end chatter.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:26 AM
kevinkar
Racer

Originally Posted by markcz
...caused the clutch packs to occasionally bind and POP loose. I felt an obvious jerk/lunge when it happened, but it was always after the car had been sitting for a while (overnight), and it only happened just once when I first started moving.
This happens the day after I wash the car and the pads and rotors kind of bind up but no, this is not how it feels.

When the slipping happens are you going straight, or do you have the front wheels turned a good bit?
Going straight. From a stop at a stop sign/light is when it does that double catch deal (I may not have been clear - it's not a jerky grab but more like a double smooth engagement of the clutch. It's difficult to put into words.) But it's definitely chattery when going slow and up an incline. To stop the chatter I have to rev higher or let the clutch out more, both of which result in the car going faster or farther than I want (like when driving into the garage...)

If you can recreate it at will, I'd ask for the best manual tranny guy at a high volume service dept to sit in the car with you while you demonstrate, then let him drive to repeat it.
Yeah, I'll probably have to drive it over after an afternoon of running errands and say "See! That's what it does!"

Originally Posted by maustin195
I had one that acted like that from oil on the clutch disc.
I can see that possibly being the culprit here. The warmer it gets, the more it happens and maybe due to just more drops of oil. Though when the clutch was replaced last, there wasn't oil evident but there were some hot spots on the clutch disk and flywheel resulting in a resurface.

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
The correct OEM fluid does not require an additive. This is what most of us used to correct the rear end chatter.
Got it! I'll likely try that next as it's a cheaper test for sure!

Thanks for the input,

Kevin
Old 02-25-2015, 02:16 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
But it's definitely chattery when going slow and up an incline. To stop the chatter I have to rev higher or let the clutch out more, both of which result in the car going faster or farther than I want (like when driving into the garage...)
So this isn't an issue when driving down the road at speed, only when the clutch is partially engaged?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:41 PM
kevinkar
Racer

So this isn't an issue when driving down the road at speed, only when the clutch is partially engaged?
That is correct. The chatter is only when driving really slow in first gear from a stop or very slow roll. The double catch deal is also from a stop and I feel both are somewhat related since neither were evident right after the clutch was changed but both seemed to come back mere weeks later.

The really annoying one is the chatter. When I'm in stop and go traffic, tip-toeing around a parking lot, driving slowly up the driveway into the garage, or up a parking structure or on ramp, I can't just let the clutch out a bit and give it a bit of gas to creep along. It chatters.

I think I read some posts that said the ECU would compensate for a clutch as it's grabbing by feeding a bit more fuel automatically but that doesn't really happen - it will bog down so, to combat that and the chatter, I have to give it more gas and/or let out the clutch faster which simply results in going farther/faster than is desired in that situation or more clutch slipping than there should be.

This all went away with the clutch change and is indeed lessened with a diff fluid change but comes back shortly thereafter.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch chatter versus differential chatter?

Quick Reply: Clutch chatter versus differential chatter?