C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

Old 02-24-2015, 03:35 PM
MJDVET111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

C6 coupe with Z51: I have OEM GY Eagle F1 Supercar EMT. Looking to replace with another set of runflats. I am strongly leaning Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP. From what I can piece together from other threads, those that have purchased these are satisfied vs. their OEM Goodyears?

IF I understand the difference between the 3 correctly:

*The OEM GY Eagle F1 Supercar EMTs are the tires infamously referred to as "runcraps", and haven't been improved in any meaningful way, and it would make no sense at all to buy these again given the other tires on the market now.

*Then the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP came along...

*Then the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP came along, with an even higher tread wear rating and lower price to boot, compared to PS2.

Does that about sum it up? Two thumbs up for the Mich Pilot Super Sport ZPs from those who bought them?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Needing a set of tires for mine, let's see where this goes
Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,182 Likes on 2,132 Posts

I'm replacing my OEM runcraps with michelin pilot super sports. I didn't get them yet so i can't really give my opinion. Although the general consensus is saying they are one of the best alternatives when going with a non run flat all around performance tire.

That's why i chose it.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Well .....

Here is the comparison: They outperform the PS2 in wear life, handling, braking and comfort...no brainer...buy the super sports.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ette/ZR1/tires

All 2014 Corvette Stingrays will come equipped with the MICHELIN® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP tire, an ultra-high performance tire that was co-developed by Michelin and Corvette through a relationship that began on the racetracks of the American Le Mans Series.

Consider this though when it comes to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport – BMW M has chosen to install on every new M3 and M4.

Here is a good review the Super Sport is newer...and used on a bunch o great cars...take a look at link below.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/09/05/mi...riving-review/

Last edited by Cor430vette; 02-24-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:23 PM
GuruGuy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As I said in another thread:
I replaced the original Goodyear's on my 2008 last September with Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus run flats at Discount Tire here in Ohio for $1488.50 less a $70 rebate. These are the all season tires. The handling, ride and noise factor all improved dramatically. I highly recommend them! Now if I only could get some decent weather so I could take her out !

You might want to check out: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...new-tires.html
Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by v1 rot8
Needing a set of tires for mine, let's see where this goes
What the advertising does not tell you is tread depth. I change my OEM Goodyears for a set of Michelin A/S Plus (all weather) tires and took them back after on week. I could not stand the handling. I paid the extra to have them order a set of Michelin PS 2's. They handle find but only have a 20K warranty vs. the 30K on the A/S Plus tires. What "they" do not tell you is the tread depth on the sides. The new tread death spec is for the middle and the tires have lots of tread depth in the middle but not very much on the outsides.

Discount Tires did not have Michelins in stock when I purchased mine so I special ordered them based on comments from forum users. I did not realize tread depth issue until I got them home and happen to check the tread depth.

I am happy with the PS 2's but don't think they will last. The inside tread may last but C6's seem to wear more on the edges.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:26 PM
GuruGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arkay
What the advertising does not tell you is tread depth. I change my OEM Goodyears for a set of Michelin A/S Plus (all weather) tires and took them back after on week. I could not stand the handling. I paid the extra to have them order a set of Michelin PS 2's. They handle find but only have a 20K warranty vs. the 30K on the A/S Plus tires. What "they" do not tell you is the tread depth on the sides. The new tread death spec is for the middle and the tires have lots of tread depth in the middle but not very much on the outsides.

Discount Tires did not have Michelins in stock when I purchased mine so I special ordered them based on comments from forum users. I did not realize tread depth issue until I got them home and happen to check the tread depth.

I am happy with the PS 2's but don't think they will last. The inside tread may last but C6's seem to wear more on the edges.
Obviously how well tires wear (and where) totally depends on how you drive your car. It seems to me that Corvette people are in one of two camps - the drive hard performance people and the this car is my personal performance luxury cruiser people. I am in the second category. I want a car I can drive in the rain if necessary, has a somewhat cushy ride and feels solid at 100 MPH. For me the A/S Plus are the perfect choice. If I was going to track my Vette, or push it to its limits I would probably make another choice.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GuruGuy
Obviously how well tires wear (and where) totally depends on how you drive your car. It seems to me that Corvette people are in one of two camps - the drive hard performance people and the this car is my personal performance luxury cruiser people. I am in the second category. I want a car I can drive in the rain if necessary, has a somewhat cushy ride and feels solid at 100 MPH. For me the A/S Plus are the perfect choice. If I was going to track my Vette, or push it to its limits I would probably make another choice.
I think the set of Michelin A/S Plus tires I had were defective and that's why neither Discount or Michelin gave me any static on the upgrade. Many C6 users are satisfied with the A/S Plus. That's why I ordered them. There was something wrong with the tires
Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Went with Michelin Pilot Super Sport and will again. Great all around tire'.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Easy...
Michelin Super Sport on my street rims
Michelin Super Sport Cup on my track rims
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Replaced my front OEM PS2s after over 25k miles on the ZR1 with PSS ZPs. After 500 miles on the PSSs, my SOTP says they are a more comfortable ride and less prone to tramming than the PS2s were when they were new. The rear PS2s will likely last at least 35k. I would be concerned about how much longer Michelin will continue production of the PS2. Another reason to upgrade to the PSSs. Either tire is overall far superior to the GY SCs.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 PM
yrekadad
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both PS2 ZP and Super Sport ZP on my "08 Vert. Go with the Super Sport ZP. All around a superior tire, longer wearing, and better price. The best C6 tire out there!
Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I get 30K out of the AS ZP.
I could probably get another 10K but my theory in any car is when I hit a puddle and the car hydroplanes, I get new tires.
I only drive my car. I don't flog it or launch from lights. It is my work car.
It gets new tires at least once a year. Last year twice because it got wheels.

It is a whole different car from old AS ZP to New with an alignment.

I can only image the smile on your face going from Goodyears to Michelin.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM
danl23188
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 56 Posts

I have owned both, the only difference i can see is that it looks like I will get more miles out of the Super Sports.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I have the A/S plus tires for winter and the Pilot Super Sports for summer, both ZP. They are both great for their purposes. In the summer, the car is glued to the road with the PSS's
Old 03-03-2015, 02:08 AM
GuruGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I get 30K out of the AS ZP.
I could probably get another 10K but my theory in any car is when I hit a puddle and the car hydroplanes, I get new tires.
I only drive my car. I don't flog it or launch from lights. It is my work car.
It gets new tires at least once a year. Last year twice because it got wheels.

It is a whole different car from old AS ZP to New with an alignment.

I can only image the smile on your face going from Goodyears to Michelin.
Amen to this!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:00 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Arkay
I think the set of Michelin A/S Plus tires I had were defective and that's why neither Discount or Michelin gave me any static on the upgrade. Many C6 users are satisfied with the A/S Plus. That's why I ordered them. There was something wrong with the tires
Must have been. I just had DT mount a set of A/S Plus and I am very impressed with the ride and grip in the nasty weather we have been having. Curious as to traction in warmer weather.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP

Old 11-30-2015, 05:20 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

on order super sports zp

will see come spring $1475 out the door at discount tire .
Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

2009 Z51
We ran through two sets of the Michelin PS2 ZP and loved them. No longer available in our sizes, so we went with the Super Sport ZP. Smoother and quieter than the PS2 even allowing for the new tire/old tire issue. But our Super Sports seem to have less dry grip than the PS2, and an autocrossing friend in the tire business says the same.

Keep in mind that the "Super Sport" name for Michelin is like the "Eagle" name for Goodyear- it's a line of tires, not a single tire, and they differ in more than sizes.
When the C7 was coming out, some of the articles described the differences between the C7 base Super Sport and the C7 Z51 Super Sport.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I just got a smoking great deal on Super Sport ZP's

- C7 - Z51 new car take offs from a friend of mine who is the parts manager at the local dealer

Was a little worried about ZP's but after having them on the car for a month I love them

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP