C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Drain with Dual Mode Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Current Drain with Dual Mode Exhaust

i think all dual mode exhaust systems basically make or break the fuse. If the fuse is left OPEN (disconnected) by using OFF fob remote, then there is no current drain in the battery; however, if you leave the remote ON it puts the fuze back in line and the car operates like GM intended and the remote's relay will draw a small current.

The reason for bringing this up is I left my car for week with the clicker ON and that may have contributed to finding a dead battery. I now leave the remote set to OFF and the flaps stay open all the time and nothing associated with the dual mode exhaust system is pulling on the battery. I cannot stand the highway drone with the flaps open, so this is when I use the FOB ON button.

I hope I have the correct understanding? I know there are hookup options but on my setup remote OFF leaves the flaps open all the time and ON puts it back to stock and I assume the relay draws current when the remote is ON.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkay
i think all dual mode exhaust systems basically make or break the fuse. If the fuse is left OPEN (disconnected) by using OFF fob remote, then there is no current drain in the battery; however, if you leave the remote ON it puts the fuze back in line and the car operates like GM intended and the remote's relay will draw a small current.

The reason for bringing this up is I left my car for week with the clicker ON and that may have contributed to finding a dead battery. I now leave the remote set to OFF and the flaps stay open all the time and nothing associated with the dual mode exhaust system is pulling on the battery. I cannot stand the highway drone with the flaps open, so this is when I use the FOB ON button.

I hope I have the correct understanding? I know there are hookup options but on my setup remote OFF leaves the flaps open all the time and ON puts it back to stock and I assume the relay draws current when the remote is ON.
You are correct !!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Oskee
You are correct !!
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:08 PM
mysloride
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amount of power the relay would pull in an on position should not drain a car battery in a week or GM would not have built it like that.

check the supply side of the fuse with the remote on and the ignition off and see if there is any current available. I would bet there is not.

IMO you have another issue.

When you start the car with the remote on, it still starts with the valves open and then vacuum closes the valves.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mysloride
The amount of power the relay would pull in an on position should not drain a car battery in a week or GM would not have built it like that.

check the supply side of the fuse with the remote on and the ignition off and see if there is any current available. I would bet there is not.

IMO you have another issue.

When you start the car with the remote on, it still starts with the valves open and then vacuum closes the valves.
GM does not provide the remote. Stock cars come with a fuze connected and it works just like you said.. starts and valves open and then vacuum closes them. Mine works that way provided I have the remote ON. With the remote OFF the valves stay open and do not close.

My battery was overdue to be replaced and I don't think the small remote current draw had anything to do with it. The old AC Delco was down to 25 Cold Cranking Amps.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:24 PM
mysloride
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM does not provide the remote. Stock cars come with a fuze connected and it works just like you said.. starts and valves open and then vacuum closes them. Mine works that way provided I have the remote ON. With the remote OFF the valves stay open and do not close.

My battery was overdue to be replaced and I don't think the small remote current draw had anything to do with it. The old AC Delco was down to 25 Cold Cranking Amps.
These valves are a normally open valve and when no vacuum is present to close them, they will return to the open position.

I have a remote also, now I am curious and am going to check if I have a current draw when the ignition is off.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Yes, and here the glitch.
here is the remote type controller.
Amazon.com: Logisys RM02 12V 15AMP Relay Kit with Two Remote Controls: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Logisys RM02 12V 15AMP Relay Kit with Two Remote Controls: Home Improvement
Receiver Input Voltage: 12VDC
Receiver Output Voltage: 12VDC
Receiver Output Current: 15 Amp Maximum
Receiver Wiring:
Red: +12VDC In
White: +12VDC Out
Black: Ground
Black: Ground
Blue: Antenna
Handset Battery: Type VR22/CN22/CN32A or Equivalent
Handset Controls: On and Off Buttons

And the problem is that this controller does not have a 87A wire/tab on its relay. (only 30 and 87 Normaly open cirucut on the contractor side of the relay, and 85 and 86 to energize the relay on the controller)

So to have the car start in quiet mode with the device at start up (NPP fuse getting power), the controller has to stay powered up full time to keep the relay in a triggered state to allow power from 30 to 87 to send power to the NPP fuse when the car is started (add a fuse has to be added to a constant 12V fuse). If the controller is wired to a 12V ignition source fuse, then when the car starts up, although the controller will power up as well, you have to hit the remote button to trigger the controller relay coil each start up to trigger the relay coil and send power to the NPP fuse via 30 and 87, so the NPP system has power/ can go into it normal quiet mode.

Now with a 87a lug/wire on the relay instead of just a 87 alone (30 to 87A is a normally closed circuit), then this allows jump from 30 to 87a to allow the NPP fuse to have power when the relay/controller has no power/is wired to a 12V that only has power only on acc/run ignition mode.

So with a Logisys RM02 since it does not have a 87a wire/ tab on it's relay, and you wanting the car to start in quiet mode, you have to wire the controller to a always on 12V circuit source if you want the car to start in quiet mode if you are using the unit as a stand alone. so not only is the controller pulling power full time, but if you have the controller set to NPP normal mode to be quiet on start up, then the relay is pulling power full time as well.

But here is the rub, nothing says that you can not add in relay the Logisys-RM02 to make it function as quiet mode on start up with it wired to a run/acc voltage only fuse instead. The relay is not going to be pulling any power on start up/car off, and when you hit the remote button to put the car into loud mode each time you want it that way once the car has been started, the car is running and the small power draw of the controller and the added relay then only is not a problem (read car off, and neither the controller nor the relay are pulling power, and the car will start in normal NPP quiet mode).

As for wiring in a extra relay,
http://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc-...m_campaign=pla

First the add a fuse is connected to the switched 12v fuse, and not to a full time 12v fuse instead.

On the add a fuse device, your going add a wire from the add a fuse red wire to the # 30 tap on the relay, then the 87a tab out of relay goes to the NPP fuse connector that the white wire spade connector was plugged into before.

The Logisys-RM02 white wire with spade connector that you removed from the NPP fuse location, it get wired to the relay 85 connector, and relay 86 tab on the relay gets wired to the ground bolt with the other black wires.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-26-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When I added NPP with a remote I used something called a charge guard and it senses the car starting and makes power available and the power will stay on after the key is shut off for a programed time period. They can be found on eBay and two way radio shops.
No dead batteries because something is left on. Mine is in the back jockey box on left side and I ran a hot wire to it and the remote stuff is also in the jockey box.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest thing to do it to not use the Logisys RM02, but instead use a similar device that has a set of normally closed contacts. In the past I have found that these were available on the aliexpress website.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 AM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is a link to Top Flight Reproductions website.
They sell a (the) Mild2wild setup.
This link goes into the install pdf where you can see how to wire it up with no drain.

http://www.topflightrepro.com/mild2wild-exhaust.pdf

Last edited by EBvette02; 02-27-2015 at 07:54 AM. Reason: removed extra link
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

I wonder if anybody actually measured this rather than speculate about it. It'd be fairly simple to see draw at On and Off for the M2W controller.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I wonder if anybody actually measured this rather than speculate about it. It'd be fairly simple to see draw at On and Off for the M2W controller.
If the Logisys RM02 is connected to a constant 12v source fuse location (not installed via the Zero draw method instead), and is switched to so the car starts in quiet mode, then you have both the draw of the Logisys RM02, and them the addition draw of Logisys RM02 relay full time when the car is turned off. As for draw, would dare to guess that you looking at around 750ma or greater with the relay powered on for quiet mode.
Note: Dare to guess more on the newer models with a 15amp relay, then the older models with the 6amp rated relay instead.

It's when you connect the Logisys RM02 power wire add a fuse to a 12 volt source fuse that loose power off when the car is turned off (zero drain method from the instructions with the while wire cut off the add a fuse to be connected to the NPP fuse connector, and the add a fuse plugged into the car seat heater fuse*), then the unit is not drawing power when the car turned off. The downside with this, when you start the car, the Logisys RM02 gets power to first power up on start up, then you have to hit the remote switch to trigger the relay to put the car into quiet mode each start up (car will always start in loud mode with it's installed in the no power draw fashion).

*http://www.topflightrepro.com/mild2wild-exhaust.pdf

So again, for only a couple of bucks for a relay and couple of wire connectors, you can install the Logisys RM02 in no power draw when the car is turned off (kill the power to it), and have the car start up in quiet mode.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-27-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Current Drain with Dual Mode Exhaust

Quick Reply: Current Drain with Dual Mode Exhaust