C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Smooth9883
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Price Question

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at getting a new C7 but I might have an opportunity to buy back my 2010 grand sport from the guy I sold it to in Canada. He asked me what I'd be willing to pay and really liking the guy I would be willing to pay the top of blue book.

My question is this. Nada, Kelly blue book, and the Canadian black book, all value the 2010 3lt, dual roof, fully loaded car at about 33k. That seems about right for a 5 year old car. I'm looking through the forsale section of C6's and I'm seeing guys ask for 50-38k. I don't want to rip my Canadian friend off, but I'd have a hard time buying a car 5 years older that I sold to him for 48k.

What are realistic prices here?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Don't know. Is he on CF? If so, (is that figure right: 50-38K you wrote?), talk to him about it. Go over the numbers from various other sources incl. the ones you've already used and CF's. If he's stand up and knowledgeable, he'll know that CF members sometimes ask high prices because their cars are not average in care, upkeep or use. I think you'll come to an agreement.

Gotta say tho, I can't think of a comparably-equipped '10 that's worth $50K if that's a correct number you're quoting.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

That is because Corvette owners think their car is worth more than it really is.
Dealers ask as much as they possibly think they can get away with.

KBB and NADA is what I go by when I am shopping.
If someone is selling a car, they know what the realistic price is even if that is not what they are asking.

You should reconsider the C7.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

first of all, i'd be looking to buy a newer model g.s. if your looking to go back to the g.s. instead of the c-7. from what i hear the 012 and 013 g.s. has a little bit of a better upgrade than your old one. there are so many beautiful 012's and 013's out there for sale to choose from with very low miles on the clock. me, i would find it rather difficult to go from a g.s. to a c-7 due to the fact i doubt GM will make a c-7 g.s. i could be wrong but i don't think the c-7 would look good in a wide body. jmo
Old 03-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I'm sorry OP, don't mean to be snarky, but this is another one of those threads I'll never understand.

You sell your car to someone, then you want it back, but you may want to buy a C7, or maybe you don't.

You want the C6, and apparently feel you never should have sold it.

You want to pay top book price, because you really like the guy you sold it too, and now want to buy it back from.

Now you start a thread asking what YOU should do, to satisfy YOUR needs, and YOUR conscience.

You need to make these decisions that are best for YOU, what does it matter what anyone else thinks?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Buying back a car you just sold is more than ridiculous IMHO.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

I guess you really loved your old car! I have loved cars I have owned in the past but I honestly would never consider buying back a car I have owned. I like the idea of getting something different it's kind of like been there done that.

As for the price people can ask whatever they want the only numbers that matter is what they actually get and that is what Kelly blue book is about. I bought an 09' base 1lt the dealer was asking 38k I paid 32k big difference!

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by Davids65; 03-04-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Here's the thing. How long ago did you sell the car to the guy?
The reason I ask, is that 2-3 months ago, the Canadian $$ compared to the US dollar was much better than it is today.
In December, the Canadian $$ was 0.87 to 1 US dollar.
Today. it is hovering around .080 to 1 US dollar.
If you pay him the same as you sold it in US dollars, then he will profit approx. 10% over what he paid to you.
offer him approx. 10% less than what you sold it to him for, and he will not lose any money.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Or you could pay him in Canadian dollars and you could score!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

MIKEERWNC is correct, don't look to this forum's for sale section as a reference to what you're buddy's car is worth/offering price. People on here especially GS owners think their cars are worth as much as ZO6's. KBB and the other resources seem to have it right when it comes to pricing. They value the car for what it is. A base with fancy wheels and a wide body kit. I love GS's, so please get over my opinion if you take offense to it. What did you sell him the car for?
Old 03-04-2015, 02:05 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hameister
I'm sorry OP, don't mean to be snarky, but this is another one of those threads I'll never understand.
You sell your car to someone, then you want it back, but you may want to buy a C7, or maybe you don't.
You want the C6, and apparently feel you never should have sold it.
You want to pay top book price, because you really like the guy you sold it too, and now want to buy it back from.
Now you start a thread asking what YOU should do, to satisfy YOUR needs, and YOUR conscience.
You need to make these decisions that are best for YOU, what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

And I guess I DO mean to be snarky...grow a set and make a decision!
I have decided this will be the last time I click on a "what should I buy/how much is it worth" thread...
And whom do I see to get my click back???
Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Buying back a car you just sold is more than ridiculous IMHO.
i wish i had a chance to buy back my 67 big block when i sold it years ago.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Smooth9883
Pro

Thanks guys for the feedback. I figured it was the forum over valuing their cars. I'll go off of nada and kbb.

As for why would I buy my old car back, that's a really good question.

I'm sure I could dig the threads up i posted about the car originally in 2010 but here's the short of it.
I custom ordered the car in 2010 through Macmulkin, did museum delivery with my father, and drove the car back to CO with him. Those memories alone would be enough for me to say the car has meaning.

Now to the question everyone is asking, "why did you sell it in the first place?" Great question. Look to my ex wife for this one. She came to me and told me that she wanted to go to grad school. She said the money I was putting into the car could pay for her to go to school. I wanted to keep the wife happy and after much discussion I told her I would sell it if it made her happy.

That was stupid.

4 months after I sold it I found out she was having an affair. Tried to make it work, didn't work out. Now I'm down a vet and a wife. I should have kept the car. So I would buy it again because it not only was a great experience but it signified a time of success in my life work wise and I also feel like I have an opportunity to correct the wrong that I made in the first place by not looking out for myself.

I love the c7 but this car and I have history. I think this would be one that I would never sell. I did end up buying a 2012 a few years ago but it wasn't the same as my 2010. Also the only differences for me were my 2010 being a 3lt and the 2012 being a 2lt with a USB port, and the ability to manually shift in drive as well as manual mode. Other than that it was hard to tell a 2010 to a 2012.

As for the *****, new girlfriend has them on a shelf in her closet. She can keep them too

Again, thanks for the feedback on the pricing.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Smooth9883
Thanks guys for the feedback. I figured it was the forum over valuing their cars. I'll go off of nada and kbb.

I'm sure I could dig the threads up i posted about the car originally in 2010 but here's the short of it.
I custom ordered the car in 2010 through Macmulkin, did museum delivery with my father, and drove the car back to CO with him. Those memories alone would be enough for me to say the car has meaning.

Now to the question everyone is asking, "why did you sell it in the first place?" Great question. Look to my ex wife for this one. She came to me and told me that she wanted to go to grad school. She said the money I was putting into the car could pay for her to go to school. I wanted to keep the wife happy and after much discussion I told her I would sell it if it made her happy.

That was stupid.

4 months after I sold it I found out she was having an affair. Tried to make it work, didn't work out. Now I'm down a vet and a wife. I should have kept the car. So I would buy it again because it not only was a great experience but it signified a time of success in my life work wise and I also feel like I have an opportunity to correct the wrong that I made in the first place by not looking out for myself.

I love the c7 but this car and I have history. I think this would be one that I would never sell. I did end up buying a 2012 a few years ago but it wasn't the same as my 2010. Also the only differences for me were my 2010 being a 3lt and the 2012 being a 2lt with a USB port, and the ability to manually shift in drive as well as manual mode. Other than that it was hard to tell a 2010 to a 2012.

As for the *****, new girlfriend has them on a shelf in her closet. She can keep them too

Son, you've just answered your own question!!!

That car apparently, because of your dad's involvement etc., has some serious sentimental value, including the erasing of your ex-wife's existance.

Seems to me if the car means that much, then money doesn't enter into the equation.
If I were you, I'd pay what ever it took to get that car back.
As long as I could afford it, what difference how much or little it costs?

It's all about the sentimental value, not the cash.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

the reason i sold my 67 was to get married, it lasted 9 months. now i'm 25 years into my 2nd marriage, and i still have my vette. if i could only talk her into letting me get a GS.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

That was stupid.

That's sound reasoning to me ... or it at least sounds like something I'd do.

I'd go by the KBB, NADA, or whatever. You can't pay him as much as you paid him because he's used it for a while. And I'm not sure how it works, but don't forget the difference in Canadian & US dollars. Sounds like they have a bit of inflation going on that we don't.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister

It's all about the sentimental value, not the cash.
And there it is. I still have my Dad's '67 Camaro that we drove together back in the day. As far as I'm concerned the car is priceless. If you don't buy that car back I'm fairly sure you will never forgive yourself.

Get notified of new replies

To Price Question

Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Smooth9883
Pro

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
And there it is. I still have my Dad's '67 Camaro that we drove together back in the day. As far as I'm concerned the car is priceless. If you don't buy that car back I'm fairly sure you will never forgive yourself.
Exactly how I feel! My Dad had an Olds W-31 and he talks about that car as if it were the greatest car ever. I know it's not, but that was his car. A while ago I tried finding his W to surprise him with it. Unfortunately it looks like it was scrapped. I never told him though. I'll let him keep thinking someone else is driving it down the PCH.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Exactly how I feel! My Dad had an Olds W-31 and he talks about that car as if it were the greatest car ever. I know it's not, but that was his car. A while ago I tried finding his W to surprise him with it. Unfortunately it looks like it was scrapped. I never told him though. I'll let him keep thinking someone else is driving it down the PCH.
I hear ya. Take some pics when you get your car back.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Maybe it's me but if you love it so much why did you sell it?

I say take pictures of it and buy something else create new memories with new toys. I had a Tonka truck as I kid I loved that truck but then I got a new truck and so on and so on. I love my current car but at some point I will sell it I keep a few pictures and more on.

On the other hand this must have been one heck of a car to want it back!

Quick Reply: Price Question