C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 FOB not working ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM
RWestman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 FOB not working ?

I have a C6. My FOBs seem to have stopped working. I have replaced the batteries and that did not help. I have tried two FOBs and none of the buttons do anything. When I insert the FOB into the received in the glove box the dash shows my name and driver 1, so it seems the FOB is being recongized by the car.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix the problem?

Thank you
Old 03-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Do you have any extra electronics (like a cell phone) plugged into an electrical socket in the car? Is the car battery okay?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I am sure you will get more response but my experience is any electrical issues with the C6 the first step is to disconnect the battery wait a minute then reconnect. You will have to re-index the Windows but that is easy.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If it works in the glovebox slot, then it's a power problem in the FOB or significant interference. Verify the battery is in correctly and take any non-stock electrical devices out of the car, including cell phones. If the car doesn't recognize the FOB (NO FOB DETECTED), put the FOB in the glovebox and drive away from that location. Remove the FOB and shut off the car. Then attempt to restart. If it starts, look for an interference source where you had the problem. Wireless home security systems and sizeable electrical transformers have been known to cause problems.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 AM
Cyber Grey
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My problem was charging a cell phone.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have this issue now and again with my 2009 and I need to remove my cell phone from my body set it aside, get out of the car with the FOB and walk away about ten feet, lock and unlock the car with the hatch open to insure if it does not work I do not have to use the key in the back, then I get back in with out any electronics on me and the FOB works almost every time.

It is what I have to do when the FOB and cell phone are in the same pocket.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:44 PM
RWestman
5th Gear

The weather was finally good enough to take the Vet out. I disconnected the battery for about an hour. After reconnecting the battery the FOB still would not unlock the doors or the trunk. I put the FOB into the glovebox and the dash CORRECTLY showed my name and Driver 1. The car started and worked correctly. After driving for 30 minutes I got out of the car and I was UNABLE to lock the car with the FOB. However, when I walked away the car horn honked like normal.

So, is the FOB okay? Do I need to go through programming items on the dash again?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:56 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by RWestman
The weather was finally good enough to take the Vet out. I disconnected the battery for about an hour. After reconnecting the battery the FOB still would not unlock the doors or the trunk. I put the FOB into the glovebox and the dash CORRECTLY showed my name and Driver 1. The car started and worked correctly. After driving for 30 minutes I got out of the car and I was UNABLE to lock the car with the FOB. However, when I walked away the car horn honked like normal.

So, is the FOB okay? Do I need to go through programming items on the dash again?

Thanks ahead of time.
Still seems like a fob issue. Check out the sticky on what to do when fob isn't working at the start of C6 General forum. Good check list there. That may help you trouble shoot the cause. Mine has always been. Tied to electronic interference from me inside the car or other systems near by, including bank security system that kept me from starting car for several minutes!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Cyber Grey
My problem was charging a cell phone.
Me too.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,006 Likes on 2,169 Posts

What type fob.

The older ones are easy to pull apart to fully clean, as well as tweaking the prongs so they are making great contact to the boards contact pads. As for the battery, just make sure that it has at least 3v's.

P.S, if you are going to use a Q-tip with cleaner to clean the board pad contacts, make sure not to catch and snap one of the small wires that comes of the coil windings to snap the fragile wires.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-06-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:59 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

FOB battery problem. No doubt about it. Maybe battery is upside down.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:38 AM
RWestman
5th Gear

Default FOB is working now

I did two things so I am not sure which fixed my problem, but at least the FOB is working not. Here is what I did:

1. Even though I had replace the battery recently I replaced it again from a different source.
2. I tighten the three clips that go around the circumstance of the battery in hopes of making sure good contact.

I want to thank everyone who gave me ideas and suggestion. Good to have a working FOB again.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:48 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RWestman
I did two things so I am not sure which fixed my problem, but at least the FOB is working not. Here is what I did:

1. Even though I had replace the battery recently I replaced it again from a different source.
2. I tighten the three clips that go around the circumstance of the battery in hopes of making sure good contact.

I want to thank everyone who gave me ideas and suggestion. Good to have a working FOB again.
I have found the new batteries with the black dots on the back of the batterie sometimes will not work ,you have to get the old batteries that are smoth on both sides and make sure when you install the fob in the glove box the part that the keys hang off of need to be toward you.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 FOB not working ?

Quick Reply: C6 FOB not working ?