C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:46 AM
h2oskiman
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Question

I need to replace the windshield wipers on my 08 before rainey season here in fl. I noticed that the drivers side wiper has a sort of wind deflector on it an not on the passenger side. Is this wiper corvette specific? Can the wind deflector be transfered to a replacement wiper ?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Yeah I have the same thing on my GS. I replaced my wipers last summer with RainX Latitude wipers. I put them on the Caddy too. Great wipers and cheaper than Bosch Icon. You don't need to re-use that deflector.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Same here.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:38 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Yeah I have the same thing on my GS. I replaced my wipers last summer with RainX Latitude wipers. I put them on the Caddy too. Great wipers and cheaper than Bosch Icon. You don't need to re-use that deflector.
I did the same
Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

You might also looking at replacing just the rubber portion instead of the whole assembly. 21" refill blade
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/...lVehicle=false

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 03-10-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:11 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I replaced mine some months ago at the Chevy dealer when I had it in for a problem. They're cheap ... about $12 each. Problem was, they charged $2.50 labor each to install ... for a 10 second job. I didn't know that until I was checking out and paying.

And yes, the wind deflector (there to hold the wiper down to the windshield, presumably at higher speeds) is sort of Corvette-specific. Some other cars have them. But also not really needed. I don't think it'll come off the wiper blade.

The RainX Latitudes are great wipers, but a little more expensive ... $18 or so at Wal Mart. And there are other brands that are similar ... Michelin and Bosch have them and they're a little cheaper than the Latitudes. They're also better in snow and ice because they don't have the metal frame with joints; they have a flexible metal spring-type piece that's enclosed in the rubber.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I replaced mine with the Bosch Latitudes also and no issues.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:31 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Ditto, you can replace just the rubber blade part on the holder for only a few bucks each, and I replace my blades about one a year.
Note, auto parts store will have them behind the counter, so ask for 2-21" replacement blades.

The replacement blade will have some clip on them to hold the side steel rails to the blades and when you go to install the blades, leave the little clip pieces on and allow the arm C piece to push them the clips off the blade as you are loading the blade steel side rails in to the C slot of the arms.

Also, pull the blade holder off the arms first (put a towel between the arm and the windshield as you all the arm to rest of the glass), then replace the blades in the holders when them off the car.

As for the end clips of the blades that holds the blades in the last C clip. I ways place it at the bottom of the arms (towards the driver front wheel). The clip is easy to snap into place as you are putting on the blades, but you may need to use a pair of pliers to squeeze the blade end clip to compress it so you can remove the blades from arm holders the first time.

Between blade replacement, get a wet cloth and run it down the blades to keep them clean. the blades collect a lot of derbies, and by keeping them clean, they will last a lot longer as well.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:23 AM
c6don
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Ditto, you can replace just the rubber blade part on the holder for only a few bucks each, and I replace my blades about one a year.
Note, auto parts store will have them behind the counter, so ask for 2-21" replacement blades.

The replacement blade will have some clip on them to hold the side steel rails to the blades and when you go to install the blades, leave the little clip pieces on and allow the arm C piece to push them the clips off the blade as you are loading the blade steel side rails in to the C slot of the arms.

Also, pull the blade holder off the arms first (put a towel between the arm and the windshield as you all the arm to rest of the glass), then replace the blades in the holders when them off the car.

As for the end clips of the blades that holds the blades in the last C clip. I ways place it at the bottom of the arms (towards the driver front wheel). The clip is easy to snap into place as you are putting on the blades, but you may need to use a pair of pliers to squeeze the blade end clip to compress it so you can remove the blades from arm holders the first time.

Between blade replacement, get a wet cloth and run it down the blades to keep them clean. the blades collect a lot of derbies, and by keeping them clean, they will last a lot longer as well.

Basic Car Care & Maintenance : How to Replace Windshield Wiper Blades - YouTube
I also got replacement blades from the Chevy dealer. They were about $11.00 each and were the complete blade with the little wing thing. Although I'm in Southern Calif.and I may never have to use them.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:01 AM
h2oskiman
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks thats why I love this forum

Get notified of new replies

To Question

Quick Reply: Question