C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 base suspension upgrade? Z51 sways Z06 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:21 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Default C6 base suspension upgrade? Z51 sways Z06 shocks

Hello,

I currently have a base C6 suspension coupe and am looking to upgrade suspension a little for a bit stiffer ride....I only drive the car for fun as I daily drive my old jeep so I don't mind a bit stiffer ride. I do use the car for some occasional local track/auto cross days and obviously spirited street cruises in nice weather.

I'm fairly positive I'm going to go with Z51 sways front and rear.

My big question is it worth it to upgrade to the Z06 shocks also or just go with the z51 sways and keep the base shocks? The car only has 19,000 miles on it so it's not really ready for replacement shocks yet or I would just go the Z06 route without a doubt.

Just trying to save a few dollars as I have a little one due in May if you guys don't think there would be a huge difference with the Z06 shocks over the base shocks in combo with z51 sways.

Thanks!

Tyler
Old 03-13-2015, 11:38 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a stock Z51 set up and love it. Nice firm ride, only gets harsh when the pavement's real bad. If I was going to make a change, I'd stick with a proven package of shocks and sways designed to work together. Every once in a while I get in a little too deep and so far the stock Z51 set up has bailed me out, I assume that is because all the components are engineered to work as a system.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

IMO it depends on how stiff you want it to be.
I have the F55 suspension and not the base and installed a Set of Z51 bars.
Definitely worth doing at least the sway bars
For me it's perfect, slight increase in stiffness without being harsh and a very noticeable improvement in handling.
A lot flatter in turns and handles a lot more accurately at highway speeds changing lanes etc.
Start with the Z51 sway bars and see how you like it.
After that if you want more, go with the shocks
Old 03-14-2015, 09:30 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I also have the Z51 option and I love it. I also have mine lowered all the way on the stock bolts an one bushing cut in the rear. It is a little harsher this way, but I don't mind. I suggest that if you are changing the bars to Z51 and you can afford it go with the new shocks and remember, the Z51 also has a stiff front and rear spring.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I think you have to get rid of the stock shocks. The sways will not change the ride regarding the floating the stock shocks give. For a sports car the base ride is horrendous.

I went with the Koni FSD's along with the Z51 sways, big improvement!

The FSD's are a little pricey. There are other options.

Just change out the base shocks for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 base suspension upgrade? Z51 sways Z06 shocks

Quick Reply: C6 base suspension upgrade? Z51 sways Z06 shocks