C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Front End Mask

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:28 PM
partisan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear Front End Mask

My 2008 ZO6 has a clear bra that goes about a foot up the hood. The same material is on the back sides of the rear view mirrors. I bought it used so I don't know when it was installed. I took it in to my body shop for a door adjustment, and the body guy said I should take the stuff off because it will ruin the paint. I'm not sure if he is right. Some of you guys that have this on your car should be able to help me with first hand advice. Thanks! Doug
Old 03-14-2015, 03:41 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by partisan
My 2008 ZO6 has a clear bra that goes about a foot up the hood. The same material is on the back sides of the rear view mirrors. I bought it used so I don't know when it was installed. I took it in to my body shop for a door adjustment, and the body guy said I should take the stuff off because it will ruin the paint. I'm not sure if he is right. Some of you guys that have this on your car should be able to help me with first hand advice. Thanks! Doug
I had mine on for about four years.....never heard that it would ruin the paint....I did however take it off as it had done its job protecting my paint from what would have been many rock chips.... hood was perfect
Old 03-14-2015, 04:03 PM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
I had mine on for about four years.....never heard that it would ruin the paint....I did however take it off as it had done its job protecting my paint from what would have been many rock chips.... hood was perfect
Thanks for the response. I'm going to go with your advice. I just can't see how this would hurt the paint. I have learned that trying to remove a bug splatter is almost impossible without scratching the film cover. Doug
Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM
8APORSH
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had clear bras on for over 5 years now on everything from vettes to range rovers and imho, it is the best investment you can make in prolonging the life of your paint. Unfortunately, the guy that told you it will damage your paint doesn't know what he is referring to. I could rip off the film with a heat gun in a matter of minutes without it damaging the paint. I know this, from experience.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:34 PM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8APORSH
I've had clear bras on for over 5 years now on everything from vettes to range rovers and imho, it is the best investment you can make in prolonging the life of your paint. Unfortunately, the guy that told you it will damage your paint doesn't know what he is referring to. I could rip off the film with a heat gun in a matter of minutes without it damaging the paint. I know this, from experience.
That's all I needed to know. I will leave the mask on, and be glad I have it. Like I said to the other reply, the only problem is trying to get bug splatters off without scratching the film. Any ideas on that problem? Thanks for your advice.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:35 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I had a front end cover on a car once and it not only left a mark where the cover met the paint, but it also was somewhat discolored. It was the type that had bendable material that angled around the inside corners of the inner front fenders. Those also beat the living tar out of the lower quarter panel. In the end, it would have been cheaper to just have the bumper re sprayed.

Now, I don't get my panties in a bunch over bugs and chips on the front. It's a car.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:19 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
I had a front end cover on a car once and it not only left a mark where the cover met the paint, but it also was somewhat discolored. It was the type that had bendable material that angled around the inside corners of the inner front fenders. Those also beat the living tar out of the lower quarter panel. In the end, it would have been cheaper to just have the bumper re sprayed.

Now, I don't get my panties in a bunch over bugs and chips on the front. It's a car.
Hmmm.don't know what brand you had....but one from a major company shouldn't do that
Old 03-14-2015, 06:21 PM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by airmed2

Hi, airmed2. haven't talked since I purchased the PAL2 from you. Or was it the 2 navigation disc? Either way thanks for your response to my ?. I believe you are talking about a different material that was on yours. The thing that is on mine is like a thick film that adheres to the car. There is nothing hard enough to do any damage from flapping around.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:56 PM
8APORSH
Instructor

That's all I needed to know. I will leave the mask on, and be glad I have it. Like I said to the other reply, the only problem is trying to get bug splatters off without scratching the film. Any ideas on that problem? Thanks for your advice.
Not a problem. I have an excellent installer who educates all of his customers before he does the work. I highly recommend Lucas Slick Mist. Every time after I wash the Vette I spray it on and the bugs just wipe off. It's a great product for the clear bra. I normally get it at Autozone.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:11 PM
partisan
Instructor

Not a problem. I have an excellent installer who educates all of his customers before he does the work. I highly recommend Lucas Slick Mist. Every time after I wash the Vette I spray it on and the bugs just wipe off. It's a great product for the clear bra. I normally get it at Autozone.

That should solve my problem. Thanks again for the help. I see we both have an atomic orange C6. Who picked that name?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:32 PM
8APORSH
Instructor

That should solve my problem. Thanks again for the help. I see we both have an atomic orange C6. Who picked that name?
That will definelty solve your problem. The name took me a while to come up with. The Porsche guys get a kick out of it to. It's actually my license plate.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:17 PM
partisan
Instructor

That will definelty solve your problem. The name took me a while to come up with. The Porsche guys get a kick out of it to. It's actually my license plate.
I don't have that much imagination, but I do love it! I just ended up with ZO6-1. I was lucky that one was available.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:16 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Your body guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He's wrong.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:54 AM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I have Expel film on mine and did a lot of research before buying it. It has a 10 year warranty but the installer said usually after about 5-7 years it should be replaced. Quality film absolutely does not hurt the paint. the Expel Ultimate I chose is self healing too. It has to be removed with heat
Old 03-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Never a problem with clear bras. They will last 5-7 years and the cheaper ones (usually the DIY types) will yellow over time. They can be removed and replaced when needed. The stretch and leather types will damage paint because they vibrate and rub against the car.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 PM
23_Z51C8V
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So from the notes it sounds like a clear bra is more help than hindrance; anyone in Southeast Michigan know of a good installer (Macomb/Oakland Township area)? I probably don't need it as the roads in Michigan are world class (yah right!). Brand of bra and installer would be appreciated. I have a 427 anniversary appearance bought used with low mileage and there are a few small spots in the stripe already.

Any issue with installing/removing over the vinyl stripes?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:49 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Can I watch when you take her bra off????????????
Old 03-16-2015, 06:11 PM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by hrt vlv
Can I watch when you take her bra off????????????
Well, since I'm a 65 year old man that needs to lose about 20 pounds, if I let you watch you would be traumatized for the rest of your natural life. It's your call!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 13_427
So from the notes it sounds like a clear bra is more help than hindrance; anyone in Southeast Michigan know of a good installer (Macomb/Oakland Township area)? I probably don't need it as the roads in Michigan are world class (yah right!). Brand of bra and installer would be appreciated. I have a 427 anniversary appearance bought used with low mileage and there are a few small spots in the stripe already.

Any issue with installing/removing over the vinyl stripes?
Try your local Zeibart Dealer, they did mine and I couldn't be happier. I think is was around $350 for the front end. As for maintenance, I do what the Zeibart installer recommends, a mixture of 1 part fabric softer (Woolite) 3 parts water. Spray on let sit, wipe clean with warm wet micro fiber towel. It look great, cleans easy, Expel Ultimate is the way to go.

I don't think over the stripes would be any problem. They pull and stretch it tight and squeegee it flat. Just my .02 cents worth.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Front End Mask

Quick Reply: Clear Front End Mask