C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C6 Brakes

Old 03-21-2015, 08:31 AM
XK150
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette C6 Brakes

Good Morning,

I have an 06 C6 Convertible... With 40K miles... and it's about time for a brake job.
Can anyone recommend a high quality brand of slotted and drilled rotors and the best pads.
Was going to order the AC Delco product but have been told the slotted and drilled rotors are discontinued.

Last question ... what prep is suggested to keep the new rotors looking good and not rusty.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by XK150
Good Morning,

I have an 06 C6 Convertible... With 40K miles... and it's about time for a brake job.
Can anyone recommend a high quality brand of slotted and drilled rotors and the best pads.
Was going to order the AC Delco product but have been told the slotted and drilled rotors are discontinued.

Last question ... what prep is suggested to keep the new rotors looking good and not rusty.

Thanks
AS far as the BEST pads Carbotech but you will have 100 opinions on this brand and others. I prefer and only sell Carbotech brake pads. Carbotech is 100% made in the USA and made with high grade steel backing plates along with industry leading NRS technology.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

As far as compounds I assume you are looking for a street pad? I would recommend the 1521 compound quiet, 100% non corrosive dust will not harm your wheels or paint and performs great on the street.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

F: $140 R: $120 If interested give me a call at 216-780-8825 to order.

As far as rotors your best bet is to get some Centric premium rotors look on amazon.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 AM
bethunsl
Advanced

Default C6 brakes

Good Morning,

Thanks
I'm looking to do the same to my 07 base coupe. There are lots of choices out there and a wide range of prices.
I'm looking to keep it fairly simple being that I don't track the car.
That being said I was looking at a zinc washed crossed drilled and slotted set from brake motive which I used before or Barer Decelarotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by bethunsl
I'm looking to do the same to my 07 base coupe. There are lots of choices out there and a wide range of prices.
I'm looking to keep it fairly simple being that I don't track the car.
That being said I was looking at a zinc washed crossed drilled and slotted set from brake motive which I used before or Barer Decelarotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
Get the Baer or Centric premium rotors and a set of 1521's much better pad than the Hawk ceramic.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:07 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

DBA 4000 series slotted {Z51 sized} Hawk HP pads you will have nose prints on the windsheild if you forget the seat belts.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:21 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Contact Gene Culley at CULTRAG Performance and get him to price you a set of GM OEM cross drilled Z51 rotors, caliper brackets and ACDelco ceramic pads. That is what I went with for my '08 coupe. The rotors are zinc coated so no rust issues. I've had them on my car for several years and they have performed well; no squealing and no dust.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:48 AM
XK150
Cruising

Default C6 Brakes

Originally Posted by vetteright
Contact Gene Culley at CULTRAG Performance and get him to price you a set of GM OEM cross drilled Z51 rotors, caliper brackets and ACDelco ceramic pads. That is what I went with for my '08 coupe. The rotors are zinc coated so no rust issues. I've had them on my car for several years and they have performed well; no squealing and no dust.
Does GM still makes these? I contacted Gene early last year and I believe he said the slotted and drilled rotors were no longer offered from GM/Delco

Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Does GM still makes these? I contacted Gene early last year and I believe he said the slotted and drilled rotors were no longer offered from GM/Delco

Thanks
I just checked his website and the part numbers I used to order mine back in June of 2011 are still good. The parts illustration only shows the solid rotor, but if you mouse over the item number it lists the numbers for base with and without "heavy duty brakes". The part numbers for the heavy duty brakes match what I used to order my Z51 cross drilled rotors. The Z51 caliper brackets are still available, too. You will need those also as the Z51 rotors are larger in diameter and thickness than the base discs.

The part numbers I used are: Front Z51 rotors, # 89060329, rear Z51 rotors, # 89060328, front Z51 caliper brackets, #88964166, rear Z51 caliper brackets, # 88964167. Numbers for the ACDelco ceramic pads are: front, # 88909667, and rear, # 88909668. You should probably replace your caliper bracket bolts when you change them out as the service manual says not to reuse caliper bracket bolts. They are designed to stretch when torqued and come coated with loctite. The part number for the bolts is: # 14084051.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:39 PM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had good luck with Centric rotors and the Carbotech 1521 pads. I will say that the 1521s produce more dust than expected (similar to the OEM pads). The performance is better during "spirited driving" but the mess is still there afterwards, so it all depends on what you're looking for in the pads.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 PM
XK150
Cruising

Default Thanks a Million

Originally Posted by vetteright
I just checked his website and the part numbers I used to order mine back in June of 2011 are still good. The parts illustration only shows the solid rotor, but if you mouse over the item number it lists the numbers for base with and without "heavy duty brakes". The part numbers for the heavy duty brakes match what I used to order my Z51 cross drilled rotors. The Z51 caliper brackets are still available, too. You will need those also as the Z51 rotors are larger in diameter and thickness than the base discs.

The part numbers I used are: Front Z51 rotors, # 89060329, rear Z51 rotors, # 89060328, front Z51 caliper brackets, #88964166, rear Z51 caliper brackets, # 88964167. Numbers for the ACDelco ceramic pads are: front, # 88909667, and rear, # 88909668. You should probably replace your caliper bracket bolts when you change them out as the service manual says not to reuse caliper bracket bolts. They are designed to stretch when torqued and come coated with loctite. The part number for the bolts is: # 14084051.
Thanks a Million for taking the time to craft such a detailed response... much appreciated... I think the rotors that were discontinued by Delco were both drilled and slotted.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Thanks a Million for taking the time to craft such a detailed response... much appreciated... I think the rotors that were discontinued by Delco were both drilled and slotted.

Thanks
You're welcome. Good luck with your project.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are very wise going with GM parts on this one. Seen a fair amount of garden variety aftermarket drilled rotors crack; mostly on ricer or pony cars...not to inpune any product offered on here. When I got my C6, I spent time considering Z51 or not, and decided the drilled rotors were not worth the Z51 ride in my case (no tracking), and I could always add an oil cooler if needed.

One thing I have been noticing on the Dallara Indy cars is that they no longer drill and slot the rotors. They now have a bunch of quarter moon shaped cuts to let the pad gasses out; anyone know the specific testing & trade offs that led to this? It would be fun if somone on here had first hand knowledge.

Last edited by Black LS2; 03-24-2015 at 08:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6 Brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette C6 Brakes