C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of non-run flat tires read this first.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:39 PM
81theville
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of non-run flat tires read this first.

This is somewhat long but I wanted to include some of today's events.

Purchased my first Corvette about 5 weeks ago which is a 2009 vert. Original owner had Michelins on front and Goodyears on rear. Both sets are run flats. Left rear had a slow leak since i purchased the vert so I took to a local tire store. Could not find the leak even after dunking in a water tank. Read the forums here and thought I would torque the nut on the valve stem or replace valve stem core after business trip today.

Woke up in Gainesville FL and tire is 6 lbs low. It usually leaks 2-3 lbs after 3-4 days. Added air on a coffee run. 3 hours later down 9 lbs. Stopped by Town Tire Auto Service Center on 8th in Gainesville. In 5 minutes they found the problem but due to puncture location they could only temporarily fix it. (Same area i pointed out to the local shop but they did not find half a small screw in the tire) No tires in stock so they called around but no tires in Gainesville until tomorrow. Ok to drive but I need to get tires when I get home.

My brother-in-law called Scott at McGee tires in Tallahassee and he located the only set that is the correct size in Tallahassee. Was not going make it there before they closed so i decided i would get a set this weekend.

A few miles east of Tallahassee run flats proved their value. It was raining then all of a sudden...I thought the patch failed. Pulled over and there is a large bolt in the center of the patched left rear. Limped the last few miles to Tallahassee and parked the Vert at McGee tires and took a cab to a hotel.

Looking back I am greatful for the run flats. I could have been sitting on the side of I-10 for an hour or so in the rain waiting for a flatbed. With the run flats I could safely and conveniently go where I needed to go without even more aggravation. I was not a happy camper at the time but things could have been a lot worse. I will be back on the road in the morning.

BTW I also need a new TPMS sensor on the left rear because the previous owner put Slime in the tire. Maybe he should have checked this forum before using Slime.

Thanks for all the great information and opinions on the Corvette Forum.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:51 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You explained the main reason that I keep run flats. Just put Firestone Firehawk RFT's on mine.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

OK but in the same breath I have never been disabled while on the road with a flat tire in 50 years of driving.

Slow leaks yes, flat over night yes but never stranded on the road.

I run Non RF's just because of the better performance/ride/noise.

Where I live offers lots of options for service.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
OK but in the same breath I have never been disabled while on the road with a flat tire in 50 years of driving.

Sounds like you answered your own question. You know best what will work for you. I just put Firestone RF's on mine 2 weeks ago. Love them!!!
Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Ok, I read it......and I'm still getting NRFs.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 01:15 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I recently installed the NRFs Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 04 and couldn't be happier. The dry traction, noise reduction , and wet traction are simply amazing compared to the stock GY RFs
The following users liked this post:
Asat (03-21-2019)
Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid....does not come with a spare or runflats! Comes with a small compressor/slime system! So....I've learned to run with the risk.....am moving to NRF for the Vette for all of the stated comfort and performance reasons. Having two cars with no spare.....odds are I probably will find out how it really works one of these days!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:07 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

For that slow leak, if it is not in the valve stem area, have them look closely for a cracked rim - this happened to me a few months ago ..... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ront-tire.html
Old 03-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

RFT = Security. At this stage of the game this is more important than “performance”.
Whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:10 AM
lowes48
Advanced

Yes but how many days did you drive it with a leak and never fixed it? just keep putting in air? Had you fixed it you would have never picked up the bolt because you would have been at a different place and time.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:14 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

NRF's here too. I just like the savings and never had a tire problem on a Corvette or any other car rather than an occasional slow bead leak in very cold weather on one of my Honda's.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:15 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jrose7004
You explained the main reason that I keep run flats. Just put Firestone Firehawk RFT's on mine.
Have the same set on my car, love them, used them on my last Corvette for years.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:33 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_B_Good
RFT = Security. At this stage of the game this is more important than “performance”.
Whatever floats your boat.
They use Michelin runflats at Spring Mountain driving school on their vettes, at least they did when I was there a couple years ago.

I also run my Bridgestone run flats on road courses and drag strips, and (for a street car daily driver), I'm feel I'm as "competitive" as folks would want to be, for a car that you don't want to tear up as a daily driver.

"Security" on the road courses is important to me, because I like knowing that if I lose tire pressure, I have a safety factor to protect me.

On the highway, I can easily take any curve at triple the posted speed limit, and 4 times it if they are warmed up and I know there is no issue. Meaning, with my runflats, I routinely roll off the 70 mph interstate exits on the local "20 mph max." tight circles at 65 - 75 mph, as long as no traffic is in front or behind me. I wouldn't go any faster with non run flats.

But having said all that, I have no problem with non run flats. Maybe one day I will try a set.

I gotta get past getting flats thought..... I just seem to get a flat about every 6 months, and I love being able to still go to work, call Discount Tire, then drive it there after work to get it plugged, with no worries about damaging a rim or getting towed.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:09 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Default NASCAR uses Run Flats

In earlier Corvettes I used non RF's and never really had any problems other than a few slow leakers. Tire technology is constantly changing because of improved materials and construction techniques, the tires you bought 2 years ago are no longer in production even though the model name might be the same. RF's have improved to the point that 99.9% of Corvette owners are not limited by the performance of their tires. 80% of road noise associated to the tires is a function of road surface condition not tire sidewall construction. RF's are much safer than conventional tires in both "stopped on the side of the road" and "catastropic" sudden tire failures. As a retired tire construction engineer buy the RF's, just make sure to match them to your driving habits, summer, all seasons, etc. If you want to race your machine buy a extra set of racing rims and racing tires and you have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:42 AM
81theville
6th Gear

Default Match the tires to your driving habits

Originally Posted by Judgebull
In earlier Corvettes I used non RF's and never really had any problems other than a few slow leakers. Tire technology is constantly changing because of improved materials and construction techniques, the tires you bought 2 years ago are no longer in production even though the model name might be the same. RF's have improved to the point that 99.9% of Corvette owners are not limited by the performance of their tires. 80% of road noise associated to the tires is a function of road surface condition not tire sidewall construction. RF's are much safer than conventional tires in both "stopped on the side of the road" and "catastropic" sudden tire failures. As a retired tire construction engineer buy the RF's, just make sure to match them to your driving habits, summer, all seasons, etc. If you want to race your machine buy a extra set of racing rims and racing tires and you have the best of both worlds.
Match your tires to your driving habits is what I was thinking while laying in bed last night. I am waiting in the hotel lobby waiting for them to pick me up after my new rear tires have be installed this morning. After reading the previous comments reminds me what I like about this forum is the variety of opinions and suggestions.

My vert is mostly a weekend driver unless I go out of town and don't have to take the family. I am not going to push my vert close to its performance limits so I prefer the piece of mind of getting myself out of an aggravating situation on my own terms.

I wanted to change the rear Goodyears for Michelins anyway but I could not justify changing out perfectly functional tires. Now circumstances have given me a reason to do so. I am getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S RF. I wanted the Super Sport RF to match the front but I don't want to stay another night on the road waiting for them.

So last night I thought about it and decided that since I am not going to push the limits of the Corvette then the A/S will work for me. If I don't like them then I will buy a different set it the future.

In my case I bought the Corvette Vert because it put the fun back into driving. I want to put miles on it and enjoy myself. Not because i want to pinch pennies and have an economical form transportation.

Your comment was written perfectly. Match your tires to your driving habits.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I appreciate the OP's story above and the contributions of others as well as the former tire engineer. Having driven all over the country in very different road and weather conditions, I have had every kind of near-disaster tire situation up to, but not including a blow out. I'd remember that one. Altho I don't use runflats in every car, I use it on the Vette. Some will think it's not needed for their type of driving, some will think it is needed. Your decision. But there is no doubt that tire tech, like every other kind of tech, keeps evolving and improving.

Just be safe out there, no matter if you're running within 20 miles or 200 miles of civilization, or home.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If nothing else but for peace of mind I will continue to go with run flats.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of non-run flat tires read this first.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Boomer111

***knock on wood***

There is a first time for everything, but I hope that you have 50 more years of good life and worry free driving

Of course, to each his/her own.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Judgebull
Great post
Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

I too have been fortunate enough to have never experienced a catastrophic tire failure and will likely transition to NRF in the very near future as my original GY's are nearing the wear bars.

While I don't have the statistics to back this up, based on my driving history I feel I am much more likely to be stranded on the side of a road by a mechanical failure than a tire failure. Of course, this assumes I am not pushing my tires beyond their designed performance and wear limits.

Quick Reply: Thinking of non-run flat tires read this first.