C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trips and Transportation

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:38 AM
MB95
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to FL: Using the auto train one way?

A road trip in my GS in June has become a ritual, but this year I want to go down to Doral instead of Kiawah or Pinehurst. Normally I wouldnt object to 12 hours at 80-100 (since I travel at night) but after some math, figuring conservatively too, I would not be able to stay under my limit of 6000 miles per season (April-Thanksgiving) if I were to drive down and back.

Then I started thinking about shipping the car one way and this is where I hit inner turmoil. Like most vette owners I'm super-temperamental about who gets behind the wheel of my car, especially after some of the nightmares I've had after letting someone have my keys (even for service). The easiest thing for me to do is buy tickets for me, my duchess, and the car on the Auto Train, but I've heard horror stories of both the ride and the condition the porters leave the car (greasy and smelly). Does anybody know if you can load the car yourself? As for shipping the car privately, thats out. It looks like it will run about $1000+ to get just the car there.
Any advice about the Auto Train experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy spring.

Last edited by MB95; 03-27-2015 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Answered part of my question.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:57 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Rent a car......
Old 03-27-2015, 04:09 AM
fred D
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MB95
A road trip in my GS in June has become a ritual, but this year I want to go down to Doral instead of Kiawah or Pinehurst. Normally I wouldnt object to 12 hours at 80-100 (since I travel at night) but after some math, figuring conservatively too, I would not be able to stay under my limit of 6000 miles per season (April-Thanksgiving) if I were to drive down and back.

Then I started thinking about shipping the car one way and this is where I hit inner turmoil. Like most vette owners I'm super-temperamental about who gets behind the wheel of my car, especially after some of the nightmares I've had after letting someone have my keys (even for service). The easiest thing for me to do is buy tickets for me, my duchess, and the car on the Auto Train, but I've heard horror stories of both the ride and the condition the porters leave the car (greasy and smelly). Does anybody know if you can load the car yourself? As for shipping the car privately, thats out. It looks like it will run about $1000+ to get just the car there.
Any advice about the Auto Train experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy spring.
What's with the 6000 mile limit? Just drive it.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:02 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by fred D
What's with the 6000 mile limit? Just drive it.
It's not really a big deal,I don't think the insurance ***** will knock on your door. Unless you have a lease of course.

Otherwise rent a U-haul and drive it down with the car inside.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

just drive it!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 AM
VipersRnotVettes
Racer

Is this post serious? If so, now I know why someone once said "A fool and their money soon part"
Spend an extra $1000 to keep a few miles off the car.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by VipersRnotVettes
Is this post serious? If so, now I know why someone once said "A fool and their money soon part"
Spend an extra $1000 to keep a few miles off the car.
Agreed. It sounds like a joke. 6000 miles a year limit. What kind of rule is that and why?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:47 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd just drive it and worry about the miles later. Sure wouldn't ship it.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:07 PM
MB95
Cruising

Gee I didnt know we had a bunch of cynics on today. I prefaced this by saying I am super-temperamental. I limit the miles I drive because of how I like to drive my car. We all know tires are expensive and I dont buy cheap rubber. I know its not a Ferrari but I keep my machines pristine. I was just looking for anybody who recently used the auto train in the last year or two and wanted to share their experience since the other thread is a few years old. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:24 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Gee I didnt know we had a bunch of cynics on today. I prefaced this by saying I am super-temperamental. I limit the miles I drive because of how I like to drive my car. We all know tires are expensive and I dont buy cheap rubber. I know its not a Ferrari but I keep my machines pristine. I was just looking for anybody who recently used the auto train in the last year or two and wanted to share their experience since the other thread is a few years old. Thanks in advance.
I don't think there's any such thing as cheap rubber for these cars, but I've never heard of anyone that limits their driving because they don't want to buy tires. I think pretty much everyone on here keeps their machine pristine, including me, but I still drive it every chance I get. If you want yours to be a garage queen that's fine.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

OP doesn't tell us where he lives, and I don't know where Doral, Kiawah, or Pinehurst are.

A geography lesson might help us to help him.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
OP doesn't tell us where he lives, and I don't know where Doral, Kiawah, or Pinehurst are.

A geography lesson might help us to help him.
I believe they are all golf destinations or at the very least, southern climate areas.
I've been to all, by driving my vette, and they are beautiful locales.

Doral-Miami
Pinehurst NC
Kiawah Island-SC

No comment on the transportation or rubber.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 03-27-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Not that I get **** regarding the costs of transportation, but I have over the course of several 5K mile road trips, determined some fairly fixed costs and variable costs. It gives me a guide to know how much cash I want in my pocket and how much I expect to spend during the road trip.

Tire costs are fairly fixed. Simply divide the out-the-door price by the expected miles before the next replacement and you get the $/mile.

Fuel is a variable, but a halfway close guess can be had by using your estimated trip mileage, the national average gas price, and your average MPG.

If I were taking a trip today, I'd plug in $.17/mile. YMMV
If I didn't care about enjoying the journey and only had an interest in the destination, the cost of getting there, and the requirement to use my personal vehicle, I'd compare the total cost of driving vs the cost of shipping the car and myself.

When I was working, time was the priority, so I flew and rented. Now that I retired, I want to see everything on the ground at ground level and stop to enjoy it as desired.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Trips and Transportation

Quick Reply: Road Trips and Transportation