C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock advice wanted

Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Bilrod
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock advice wanted

I have a 2011GS MN6, I am considering upgrading shocks. I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with Bilstein Sports and JOC.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our current car is a 2009 Z51.

We had Bilstein Sports on our 2001 Z51, and I've heard they are the same part as a C6.
I couldn't tell the difference from the original GM Z51 shocks. Great for a smooth track, ok for smooth roads, felt like they were welded in place over the mis-matched expansion joints and frost heaves of Illinois.

On the 2009 Z51:
Some folks love the Koni FSD, I test drove them and they were still too stiff for me. Not much better than Z51.

I put GM base model shocks on our car and got a huge improvement in ride, but they felt slightly "floaty" when new and downright "floppy" after 30k miles.
Replaced them with Bilstein Heavy Duty (not Sport) and love 'em, the perfect compromise for me. But everyone's roads/tires/driving/butt; are different.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:38 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

I have Koni FSDs on my '11 GS. Significant improvement in ride, IMO and the rear end stays planted on rough surfaces much better compared to the stock shocks.

Now I just need to get rid of these stinkin' GY's that at around 8K miles seem to be getting worse and worse every time I drive the car.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:29 AM
thedigitel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Bilstein Sports on my car recently, and they handle great but they're too stiff for daily driving. If your roads are silky smooth then they'd be fine. I'm looking for a set of Bilstein HD's now to replace them with.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:40 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a non z51 (fe1) and the stock shocks were too soft

went to z06 shocks 2 years ago and its been much better but not where it needs to be

just bought bilstein sports to replace the z06 shocks and am anxious to test them out along with solid spherical mounts

I have run bilstein b8 sports on my daily driver (audi), for about a decade; they have worked very well and have proven to be reliable. I had that car airborne every weekend for a few years (to the point of deforming the frame), would drive the hell out of it on a daily basis, and still havent had any issues with the shocks.

for cheaper shocks, the bilstein sports are great,

If you can afford better stuff then go adjustable; koni, bilstein, ohlins, jri, jrz, ridetech/fox, moton, or penske.

good luck!

Last edited by el es tu; 03-30-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I am one of the Koni FSD fans. They are as responsive as they need to be in an instant and turn in (while being ~subjective) is damn near immediate. Conversely 80 MPH on the interstate feels like a magic carpet and the single biggest thing they do being an oil based damper is gobble up highway expansion joints. No more "pong" and my car skip like a go-kart. Oh yeah...the gentleman above mentioned how well the car felt planted on what I assume is hard launch. Me too agree...wheel hop is gone...gone. Surely having non R/F Pilot Super Sports then Continental Extreme Contact cater to a nicer ride experience. Appearance wise the car sits at least an inch lower than previous...at least. This is keeping in mind the Z51 package claims a stock half inch lower ride height as compared to the non Z51 optioned base c6. I do like the Koni FSD dampers very much. Keep in mind I have all of the other Z51 parts like sway bars and the leaf springs.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Compared to Illinois, all the roads in Florida felt like a magic carpet even with our original Goodyears and Z51 setup.

Seriously, everyone's butt-o-meter is calibrated differently; a test drive in a car with same suspension and similar tires is always the best way to judge.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I agree.

I personally like the ride of the sports much better than the HD. My set of HD did not last very long on my lowered car.

if money is no object, you can get LG adjustable inverted shocks.

I had Pfadt inverted and loved them. They lasted 50,000 miles but Pfadt was shut down and I could not get them rebuilt.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Bilrod
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for all the feedback

Thanks for all of the responses. Always Great advise here.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Jeff W
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have a 07 base car FE1. I recently upgraded to bilstein sport shocks and c5 z06 sway bars. While the ride is noticably firmer, it's still very compliant. The car is my DD and I'm EXTREMELY happy with this setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock advice wanted

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shock advice wanted