C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestones Pole Position RF installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:40 PM
rosros
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Bridgestones Pole Position RF installed

Hard to believe that at 9k miles the GY were down to the wear bars, like driving on slicks. Tires wore fairly even across so I did not do an alignment, will research the best specs for my driving condition and have my shop do it.

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RF Special ordered Costco on-line came in on Friday. Comes with 5 yrs road hazard warranty, lifetime rotate/balance, lifetime repairs and they fill with nitrogen. Called Costco Saturday and naturally they were booked. Being mid-afternoon drove there anyways. Seeing it was a corvette they shoed me in as next in line. Prior to going there I installed the permanent jacking pucks. I mentioned to them and they knew about those. Their customer service is top notched as always.

Unfortunately they put a small nick on the wheel about the size of your pinky; barely noticeable but still there. I could use chrome touch-up paint and make it disappear but I will wait and see... At first they tried to say it was preexisting and pointed out to the rust. I told them that is the copper from the chroming process and aluminum does not rust. They tried to point out other scratches..but its brake dust. I pointed out the car is spotless and there are no scratches or chips anywhere on the car. They proceeded and forwarded to home office the claims form.

The short ride back, immediately noticed the improved ride quality. Bumps were more muted than sharp. The front end did not wander as much and the meaty tread pattern looks like it will channel water better than the GY.

I drive around 2-3k miles a year; probably the last tires I would need til I upgrade or naught

Costco let me into the service bay to shoot the pic. They invited me to pick up the wheel/tire. It was a lot lighter than it looks.

and the oh oh, only noticed when I was applying the tire gel and polishing the rims--taking off the shop grease and fingerprints.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Looks good

Might get the same tires when the OEMs need to be replaced.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Look on the side of them, if they are the 180 tread wear rating, you will have even better cold weather traction too. I have the 280 treadwear version on my GS, and really like them.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM
tmryann
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice choice. Keep us posted regarding its traction on wet roads, and tread wear.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'm hoping to get these on my GS soon.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 PM
mtdriver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the same tire on my2012 GS last year and absolutely love them.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:43 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

I replaced the OEM tires on my GS after only 8k miles with the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RF's. Great ride. I drove to Florida from NJ in January and they had good traction in the cold weather (One still has to be careful in cold or wet conditions).

While at the 12 Hours of Sebring Corvette Corral last week, the Michelin rep came to the hospitality tent and told us that they will be coming out with an all season runflat tire for the Z06 and GS very soon. That will be my next tire for sure.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lavla
I replaced the OEM tires on my GS after only 8k miles with the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RF's. Great ride. I drove to Florida from NJ in January and they had good traction in the cold weather (One still has to be careful in cold or wet conditions).

While at the 12 Hours of Sebring Corvette Corral last week, the Michelin rep came to the hospitality tent and told us that they will be coming out with an all season runflat tire for the Z06 and GS very soon. That will be my next tire for sure.
Both the Bridgestone and Michelin engineers told me that same thing in 2012 (at 3 different car auctions), and it never happened, so I gave up on waiting. I hope someone does it though, I think it would be a popular tire for many Z06/GS vette owners.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm sure I will be replacing my tires within the year and I have been on the fence as to what to go with this is why I read every tire thread looking for advice. Thanks for the input and great looking car!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Davids65
I'm sure I will be replacing my tires within the year and I have been on the fence as to what to go with this is why I read every tire thread looking for advice. Thanks for the input and great looking car!
I've tried to do the same. And my consensus is the Pole Positions.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This Costco place....So you need a membership to buy stuff there? Never been in one...
Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

There is not a chance I would let Costo touch my Vette! A work truck no problem but not my car there are very few I trust to work on my car.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Davids65
There is not a chance I would let Costo touch my Vette! A work truck no problem but not my car there are very few I trust to work on my car.
I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't care less what kind of deal Costco, or Wal-Mart, or similar vendor was offering, I wouldn't use them.
I'm sure they're fine for the average Toyota Camry, or soccer mom's SUV, but not my 'vette.

I'm also replacing my prematurely worn out OEM GY tires very soon, and also going with the Bridgestone Pole Position tires.
I got a very good price from Tire Rack.com, and asked them if they could recommend a facility in my area that could be trusted with my car.
They said they could recommend only one auto tire, and alignment facility in all of Palm Beach County.

Turns out it's only about 2 miles from my house.
I went to check the place out and found them very friendly, courteous, and showed me a well equipped clean shop.
They regularly install tires and do alignments on Corvettes, Vipers, Ferraris, etc.
What more could a guy ask for?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:38 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I haven't talked with anyone that has replaced the Good Year RF with those. I did replace mine with the Firestone Firehawk RFT's though.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I haven't talked with anyone that has replaced the Good Year RF with those. I did replace mine with the Firestone Firehawk RFT's though.
The OP's car is a Grand Sport.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Firestone makes tires for the GS.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:27 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Hameister
The OP's car is a Grand Sport.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Firestone makes tires for the GS.
And that's true but I still don't know anything or talked to anyone that has Bridgestone Run Flats.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 PM
wbfiii
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hameister
I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't care less what kind of deal Costco, or Wal-Mart, or similar vendor was offering, I wouldn't use them.
I'm sure they're fine for the average Toyota Camry, or soccer mom's SUV, but not my 'vette.

I'm also replacing my prematurely worn out OEM GY tires very soon, and also going with the Bridgestone Pole Position tires.
I got a very good price from Tire Rack.com, and asked them if they could recommend a facility in my area that could be trusted with my car.
They said they could recommend only one auto tire, and alignment facility in all of Palm Beach County.

Turns out it's only about 2 miles from my house.
I went to check the place out and found them very friendly, courteous, and showed me a well equipped clean shop.
They regularly install tires and do alignments on Corvettes, Vipers, Ferraris, etc.
What more could a guy ask for?
I notice that Tire Rack has several recommended installers when I enter the Jupiter zip code which is in Palm Beach County, FL.
I used one of these listed installers for alignment & installation of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP Run Flats and was highly satisfied.
It must be a different installer than you are mentioning, as they will only work on Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Bridgestones Pole Position RF installed

Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Many of the national tire outlets do price matching. I got a quote from Costco, and then my favorite local tire store which I've used for years (Discount Tire) simply matched their price for me. Saved a few bucks.

PS: I love my Grand Sport Bridgestones Poles.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

A question about ordering from Tire Rack.
Will they ship them to a shop of your choice? I cant see the benefit of having them shipped to my home only to have to figure out how to fit them in my GS to get them mounted....
What do you guys do?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Torchsport
A question about ordering from Tire Rack.
Will they ship them to a shop of your choice? I cant see the benefit of having them shipped to my home only to have to figure out how to fit them in my GS to get them mounted....
What do you guys do?
I use Discount Tire here in Florida, but when I lived in DE, I used Tire Rack like this - I checked to see who was the recommended supplier online, then I went in and personally talked with them. They matched the price of Tire Rack, and they got the tires directly. Seemed a little cleaner to me to do it that way.

Quick Reply: Bridgestones Pole Position RF installed