C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery won't hold the charge, trouble starting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 PM
DAVIDYR1
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Battery won't hold the charge, trouble starting.

Yes another battery thread.
I own a 2005 base model, automatic and I love it.
Purchased it in Dec 12, with a new battery. Every winter I disconnect the battery while the car is in storage. Then reconnect and it's always good to go. Even this year around mid March. No trouble starting it, and for the first week, all good. Started every time, then last week I took it out of the garage at work, parked it for maybe 5 min, locked up the studio and came out to start the car and nothing. That damned clicking...luckily there was someone there to boost it.
Got home and stuck it on the charger overnight. Next day it fired right up.
Been driving for the last few days. Parked it Fri evening, took it for a spin this morning Sunday and today it seemed to struggle to start...but it did.
Later, I went to start it again and while still seeming to struggle a bit, it started and showed a charge of 14.6.
Now I went out an hour ago and upon starting it....click click click.
WTF already?
Now it's back on the charger and reading low at about 12.2.

Tomorrow I'm getting a new battery, and from reading around here it looks like the Delco 90 is what's recommended.
My question is this, with the Delco 90 will I still have to hook up the battery if I let it sit for 5-6 days....or will this annoying battery issue still be something I have continue to look forward to?

Sorry folks, I'm sure this has been beaten to death but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, if anything or maybe it's just time to change the battery once and for all.

Thanks in advance.

David
Old 03-29-2015, 07:54 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DAVIDYR1
Yes another battery thread.
I own a 2005 base model, automatic and I love it.
Purchased it in Dec 12, with a new battery. Every winter I disconnect the battery while the car is in storage. Then reconnect and it's always good to go. Even this year around mid March. No trouble starting it, and for the first week, all good. Started every time, then last week I took it out of the garage at work, parked it for maybe 5 min, locked up the studio and came out to start the car and nothing. That damned clicking...luckily there was someone there to boost it.
Got home and stuck it on the charger overnight. Next day it fired right up.
Been driving for the last few days. Parked it Fri evening, took it for a spin this morning Sunday and today it seemed to struggle to start...but it did.
Later, I went to start it again and while still seeming to struggle a bit, it started and showed a charge of 14.6.
Now I went out an hour ago and upon starting it....click click click.
WTF already?
Now it's back on the charger and reading low at about 12.2.

Tomorrow I'm getting a new battery, and from reading around here it looks like the Delco 90 is what's recommended.
My question is this, with the Delco 90 will I still have to hook up the battery if I let it sit for 5-6 days....or will this annoying battery issue still be something I have continue to look forward to?

Sorry folks, I'm sure this has been beaten to death but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, if anything or maybe it's just time to change the battery once and for all.

Thanks in advance.

David
start by checking the terminals if u don't get them tight that alone can cause drain on the battery . an with all that disconnecting an connecting they tend to get a lil worn especially on an 05 bein that your car like mine is now 10 years old goodluck.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:01 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

For 2005 models there was a reprogramming update issued. You may want to see if the flash update was performed on your car. Also, once a battery is discharged, even with a charge, the battery's days are numbered. My OEM Delco lasted 4 years before I replaced it with another OEM Delco. You should be fine doing the same.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:47 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
For 2005 models there was a reprogramming update issued. You may want to see if the flash update was performed on your car. Also, once a battery is discharged, even with a charge, the battery's days are numbered. My OEM Delco lasted 4 years before I replaced it with another OEM Delco. You should be fine doing the same.
I have heard about the "reflash" done on the 05 and later models. Does anyone know exactly what that was supposed to accomplish? I have a 2012 and at times it has sat for 14 days without a tender and had no problems.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:53 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by b09676
I have heard about the "reflash" done on the 05 and later models. Does anyone know exactly what that was supposed to accomplish? I have a 2012 and at times it has sat for 14 days without a tender and had no problems.
It was only on the 05 with manual trans. Some electronics were not shutting off all the way when the car was turned off. It was know as DBS or dead battery syndrome. The reflash addressed and fixed it. My 05 has sat for over 3 weeks with no tender and no problem.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:06 AM
DAVIDYR1
Advanced

Thanks everyone.
The connections are tight, I just double checked so thanks for that suggestion.
OK it fired up right away this morning, and I've got it with me at work and down the street is a Parts Source dealer.

They dont carry Delco, but say the recommended battery for my 05 is the Exide Performance 86. They also have the 90, but say the 86 is what my car calls for.
Anyone have any feedback on this battery?

Thanks again everyone!

David
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM
ant21b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAVIDYR1
Thanks everyone.
The connections are tight, I just double checked so thanks for that suggestion.
OK it fired up right away this morning, and I've got it with me at work and down the street is a Parts Source dealer.

They dont carry Delco, but say the recommended battery for my 05 is the Exide Performance 86. They also have the 90, but say the 86 is what my car calls for.
Anyone have any feedback on this battery?

Thanks again everyone!

David
I would get the delco 7 year professional battery which is what my 2010 came with new. 86 is probably right find a parts house that carries delco. My 2010 requires an 85.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 AM
DAVIDYR1
Advanced

Originally Posted by ant21b
I would get the delco 7 year professional battery which is what my 2010 came with new. 86 is probably right find a parts house that carries delco. My 2010 requires an 85.
Thanks bud!
I just found a distributor 5 min away, called and are now going to be pick up the Delco 86.
Thanks again!

David

Get notified of new replies

To Battery won't hold the charge, trouble starting.

Quick Reply: Battery won't hold the charge, trouble starting.